Bills to workout WRs Preston Williams, Marcell Ateman

The Jokeman

Both are 6-4 so sounds to me like we're make an serious effort to add some size to the position between drafting Shorter and adding Dezmon Patmon in January. Preston had a great rookie season but been struggling with injuries since. He could be an under the radar signing if added. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/31/bills-to-work-out-preston-williams-marcell-ateman/

• Like (+1) 3

It’s stuff like this where I can’t understand people still criticizing Beane and the owners. 

They’re constantly working. They had a good draft, signed Poona, are in on the biggest player left (Hopkins), and still trying to beef up the depth/special teams. 

They could easily sit back and wait for the season and no one would bat an eye. But they’re still going. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

It’s stuff like this where I can’t understand people still criticizing Beane and the owners. 

They’re constantly working. They had a good draft, signed Poona, are in on the biggest player left (Hopkins), and still trying to beef up the depth/special teams. 

They could easily sit back and wait for the season and no one would bat an eye. But they’re still going. 

Well, I agree with you, but as with any tough job, there are a lot of different aspects to it.  Just because Beane may be good at trolling for PS players and training camp help doesn't mean he gets a pass on other stuff.   I'm not a big believer in one-year rental of stars just to make a Super Bowl run, but others are, and it's a fair criticism to complain that Beane hasn't been stellar in that department.   And I'm not sure I agree, but it's a fair criticism to say that his first- and second-round draft yields haven't been as good as they should be.  

It's all stuff to talk about while we wait for the games to begin.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Preston Williams is a talented kid. But he has both injury and personality questions.

He had the best game of his best season.....his rookie season.......in Buffalo.   So he probably made an impression on them that day.    Looked like a real steal and I was wishing the Bills had gotten him at that point.   They ended up getting a more reliable version of him in Gabe Davis the following year.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills to Host Pair of WRs for Workouts, Still No DeAndre Hopkins

Despite the DeAndre Hopkins craze taking all the attention, the Buffalo Bills are hosting two other receivers for workouts on Thursday.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-deandre-hopkins-preston-williams-marcell-ateman-free-agency-workouts-sign-contract

Time for torches?

Williams is all too familiar with the Bills from his time in the AFC East with the Miami Dolphins. In 2019, he even had six catches for 82 yards against Buffalo in a 31-21 Bills win.

As for Ateman, he was a seventh-round pick by the then-Oakland Raiders in 2018. He played in 19 games across four seasons with the team, catching 20 passes for 270 yards and a touchdown during that span. He played in the XFL with the St. Louis Battlehawks this past season.

Here is some of the attitude issues: with Williams

"I just feel like I'm not getting the opportunities that I deserve, simply scripted-wise, not being on the field-wise," Williams told the media in August, via Dolphins Wire. "(I want) opportunities to show that I can beat my man."

Most important is availability, availability and availability:

In 24 career games, he's totaled 56 catches on 111 targets for 787 yards and seven touchdowns. The issue with Williams has been the ability to stay on the field, as he's played in just eight games for each season he's been in the league.

Beane does this every year. He works out players he has no intention of signing now, so that he can circle back in a "break glass in case of emergency" situation. If Davis suddenly sprains his ankle in October and Shorter isn't ready to play we can sign Preston Williams to the PS and call him up the maximum number of times while Davis recovers. It's just contingency work, it doesn't mean anything about Deandre Hopkins or anyone on the team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I agree with you, but as with any tough job, there are a lot of different aspects to it.  Just because Beane may be good at trolling for PS players and training camp help doesn't mean he gets a pass on other stuff.   I'm not a big believer in one-year rental of stars just to make a Super Bowl run, but others are, and it's a fair criticism to complain that Beane hasn't been stellar in that department.   And I'm not sure I agree, but it's a fair criticism to say that his first- and second-round draft yields haven't been as good as they should be.  

No one, least of all Beane, cares that you don’t like 1 year rentals. We’re not doing anything different that many good teams do these days. Would you be more willing to give him ‘a pass’ if he signed DTs to long term contracts and didn’t make the playoffs? 🤦‍♂️

Its 2023. Get with the times. There’s maybe 8-10 All Pro worthy DTs. Maybe. They’re akin to RBs in todays game.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

No one, least of all Beane, cares that you don’t like 1 year rentals. We’re not doing anything different that many good teams do these days. Would you be more willing to give him ‘a pass’ if he signed DTs to long term contracts and didn’t make the playoffs? 🤦‍♂️

Its 2023. Get with the times. There’s maybe 8-10 All Pro worthy DTs. Maybe. They’re akin to RBs in todays game.

I wasn't defending Beane.  I was responding to someone who was. 

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Beane does this every year. He works out players he has no intention of signing now, so that he can circle back in a "break glass in case of emergency" situation. If Davis suddenly sprains his ankle in October and Shorter isn't ready to play we can sign Preston Williams to the PS and call him up the maximum number of times while Davis recovers. It's just contingency work, it doesn't mean anything about Deandre Hopkins or anyone on the team.

So what you’re saying is that we are getting both DHop and J Maclin?

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If it wins us a SB who cares?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

If it wins us a SB who cares?

Of course, whatever wins a Super Bowl is great.  If Justin Shorter catches two touchdowns in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl, then Beane's a genius because he grabbed him when he did.  if a one-year rental doesn't win a Super Bowl, Beane's wasted an opportunity to build his team for the longer term.  

There are positives and negatives to most strategies.  The one-year rental worked for the Rams and Miller, and in the same season it didn't work for however many other contenders used it.  All I said is I'm not a fan; if Beane does it and it works, I'll love it. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.