Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

I certainly wouldn’t complain if he went to the NFC. Particularly if it was to a team that was in that second tier like NYG or Det. 

We play the Giants though.  Go to a team like the Saints or Panthers would be good with me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

DHOP in a chiefs uniform makes them instantly better? Well yeah. Is there a team DHOP could sign with where he wouldn’t make the team better?

The point is that it's the Chiefs who happen to be defending champs. 

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, dayman said:

A business where you get fired if you don’t win the Super Bowl. Especially when you have Allen as QB.

Do it. It’s good for business

I’m all for it.  My point was DHop ain’t coming for dirt cheap.   It’s a business for him too.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

I’m all for it.  My point was DHop ain’t coming for dirt cheap.   It’s a business for him too.  

when your owner is willing to pay cash$$$, it’s a lot easier to find a way to make it work by both manipulating the cap and the player getting $$$

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Merle said:

Actually, I don't think that's quite true.   He won't be getting ANY "new money" from the Cardinals in 2023.   That 22 mil (or more) is what Arizona is on the hook for in "dead cap space" money for what they have already paid him in the past.   He made a LOT over the past 2 years, but he's not getting paid by them now (or in the future).

Pretty sure you are wrong.... Dead money for the NFL salary cap is guaranteed cash and bonuses for a player who no longer is on that particular team. The dead money comes from what the player was owed before the team decided to move on

• Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, purple haze said:

The money will have to be right. It’s a business.

Speaking of which, from the Card perspective what are they stuck with this year, and how does it affect future years? Does he have offsets with the Cards allowing them to reduce their expense?  Can he further screw them by taking a little less?  I know he wants hi$, but this is a guy burning bridges as only a guy at the end of his career can. He will retire with a mountain of money. A guy can dream….  🤷‍♂️

I’m not saying we NEED him, but if it worked out financially we’d still have competent WR’s even when someone gets a high ankle sprain or another guy pulls a hammy. I feel good about the young guys but they are a gamble, so it will be interesting. Beane isn’t perfect, but he’s got my trust. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We play the Giants though.  Go to a team like the Saints or Panthers would be good with me.

The flipside though is they probably wouldn’t poach Davis if they had Hopkins on a 2-3 year deal. 

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes, either us or the NFC. 

F the Chiefs.

And definitely F the Jets. Last thing I want is sports media jets hype to get more pervasively annoying. 

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

when your owner is willing to pay cash$$$, it’s a lot easier to find a way to make it work by both manipulating the cap and the player getting $$$

Whatever it takes.   Can’t double Diggs and DHop.  I’m willing to pay the price with Terry’s money.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

My personal opinion after watching football for 40 years, Wide Receivers are never the missing piece and do not put teams over the top in winning championships.  All the wr trades and big signings through the years and very few have resulted in championships.  

High end wr who were released traded and never won a championship

Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chris Carter, Joey Galloway, Antonio Brown, Brandon Marshall, andre rison, Roy Williams, etc. etc.

Its usually the guys in the trenches who make the biggest differences and the WR are usually home grown on the championship teams.  I would be really careful about giving money to an older wr who is expecting to come in and automatically win just because.  Teams with those types of guys always seemingly get beat in the playoffs.  

AJ Brown was a missing piece for the Eagles last season.    They narrowly lost the SB but that acquisition changed them from a wild-card-round-losing type of team to a #1 seed SB team.

The year before OBJ rounded into form about 13 months post ACL surgery and was great in the playoffs and the disappointing regular season Rams won a SB where he was trending to be the SB MVP before tearing his ACL.

"40 years" is just way, way too far to go back and use as a gauge.     For about half of the past 40 years who your RB was actually mattered........which is almost an absurd notion today.  There are a lot of things that were a certain way for much of that period that are largely irrelevant to how the game is played now.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

Whatever it takes.   Can’t double Diggs and DHop.  I’m willing to pay the price with Terry’s money.

not to mention Kincaid will be open all the time

The cap is going to keep going up.

We can find a way to make this work without “having a tear down”

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Speaking of which, from the Card perspective what are they stuck with this year, and how does it affect future years? Does he have offsets with the Cards allowing them to reduce their expense?  Can he further screw them by taking a little less?  I know he wants hi$, but this is a guy burning bridges as only a guy at the end of his career can. He will retire with a mountain of money. A guy can dream….  🤷‍♂️

I’m not saying we NEED him, but if it worked out financially we’d still have competent WR’s even when someone gets a high ankle sprain or another guy pulls a hammy. I feel good about the young guys but they are a gamble, so it will be interesting. Beane isn’t perfect, but he’s got my trust. 

The Cards have a 22 million dead cap hit this year.  I don’t think there’s any way to lessen that because he’s not a post June 1st cut.  If he were it would be 11 million this year and next. They chose to get it over with.

I want DHop because teams can’t double him and Diggs.  If they did Knox, Kincaid and Cook would go berserk.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

not to mention Kincaid will be open all the time

The cap is going to keep going up.

We can find a way to make this work without “having a tear down”

Knox and Cook too.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Hello all for what's it worth I have a friend that's good friends with DH business manager He does not have an agent, and he was told that DH has been talking to about 6 gms and that he will take a few days to take everything in then decide on who he will talk contract with. He thought he may be released but not today.  His BM is out of the country.... I'm sure that will change soon.BM said he will be looking for a 2year minimum, never said anything about money. Just sharing...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, BLizzyMeock said:

Pretty sure you are wrong.... Dead money for the NFL salary cap is guaranteed cash and bonuses for a player who no longer is on that particular team. The dead money comes from what the player was owed before the team decided to move on

According to Cover 1. Greg T, you are incorrect.

21 minutes ago, arcadia bob said:

Hello all for what's it worth I have a friend that's good friends with DH business manager He does not have an agent, and he was told that DH has been talking to about 6 gms and that he will take a few days to take everything in then decide on who he will talk contract with. He thought he may be released but not today.  His BM is out of the country.... I'm sure that will change soon.BM said he will be looking for a 2year minimum, never said anything about money. Just sharing...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/09/after-going-it-alone-for-a-while-deandre-hopkins-hired-an-agent-again/amp/

46 minutes ago, BLizzyMeock said:

I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think he's at least in the ballpark.  As I understand it, the concept of dead money is simply that every dollar paid to a player has to be allocated against the salary cap eventually, one way or another, even if that player is no longer on the roster.  

For example, a deal can be structured so that a player gets paid $10 million in real, actual dollars in Year 1, but his Year 1 cap hit is only $5 million.  If that player gets cut after Year 1, the team will have $5 million in dead money.  That is because the player was already paid $10 million, but only $5 million has been counted against the cap so far.  The other $5 million has to be accounted for, and so the team will carry a $5 million dead cap hit in Year 2.  The player doesn't actually have to receive any real, actual dollars from the team in Year 2 for there to be dead money counted against Year 2's salary cap.  

Edited by Capco

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.