1. 1. Targets

• Kincaid
    • Davis
    • Knox
    • Hardy
    • Shakir
    • Sherrfield

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Kincaid will get starter reps from game 1.  Base your target estimates on that. 

We have tried several times to have that second good option at TE with Hollister, OJ Howard and Tyler Kroft...Kroft was okay and Hollister/Howard didn't even make it.

They have been looking for a good option at this position and Kincaid gives him that.  

I honestly don't think its out of the question that Kincaid will #2 in targets.  Allen loved going to Beasley and he had his most productive years in Buffalo...that's Kincaid now.  He also gives you that vertical threat because it's going to be hard to have a LB that can keep up with him down the seam.  

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I voted Davis.   But I think the targets to folks not named Diggs or Davis will go up this year.  Sherfield and Kincaid will both be important pieces of this offense.  

But who's Hardy?   Did one of the Hardy Boys/Boyz join the Bills?

I didn't know who Hardy was but I apparently voted for him.  I struggle to hit the right button.  

Agree with you on Davis.  Josh throws downfield.  Shakir not as trusted as Davis. Kincaid ..........he's a rookie.

I don't think Kincaid will get more than Davis but I'm fairly certain he'll get more than Knox. Kincaid's the new safety valve. Beasley with 60 lb. and far fewer annoying Tweets. Knox never was and will likely never be that.

Edited by Nephilim17

I went with Davis, but there is certainly a path for Kincaid.

The 2015 Panthers leading target getter was, by a pretty wide margin, Greg Olsen (124 targets vs the runner up, Ginn Jr at 97). I don’t recall if they had Olsen in the Y (like Knox) or the F (presumably like Kincaid).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Davis. He is still a big part of the offense and I think of his ankles stay healthy should have a big season.

2 straight years with ankle problems and the drops will transition Dalton to 2nd most targets.  I think this will be Gabes's last season as a Bill.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The order in the poll is my order for the targets after Diggs.

I think Kincaid is going to be Josh's new safety blanket, like the comparisons to Beasley's targets but bigger and probably adds more in the redzone. 

He will be more reliable than Davis IMO.

IMO this year, Davis. Next year, Kincaid.

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Kincaid will get starter reps from game 1.  Base your target estimates on that. 

Yeah, almost certainly not.

Not impossible, but very unlikely.

Edited by Thurman#1

40 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

I went with Davis, but there is certainly a path for Kincaid.

The 2015 Panthers leading target getter was, by a pretty wide margin, Greg Olsen (124 targets vs the runner up, Ginn Jr at 97). I don’t recall if they had Olsen in the Y (like Knox) or the F (presumably like Kincaid).

???

Yeah, but 2015 was Olsen's 9th year in the league and 5th year on the Panthers.

In Olsen's rookie year he had 66 targets, and in his first year with the Panthers, which was his fifth year in the NFL, he had 89 targets.

10 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I would pump the breaks on Kincaid being number 2 in targets.....I would not say its not possible but it is not likely.   Rookie TE's in general dont perform that way and I get he is kind of a slot TE.  The favorite for #2 in targets should be Gabe Davis.

I actually think we are gonna see all his receiving players get a balanced target numbers.  Best way to keep opponents off- balance is by being as balanced as you can be.  So I expect Josh will use the extra time he'll have to find the best player if they need to burn clock we will see more runs or even screens to Murray.  Being 6'3" he can out jump most defenders.  And we need the short yardage well Murray can pound out those yards when needed so Josh won't need to.

The obvious answer is Davis because he will almost certainly have the most snaps out of all skill position players. Last year he even had 90 more snaps than Diggs despite playing in one less game. That kind of snap percentage lends itself to a high target share. Hopefully he maximizes those targets much better than he did last year.

Third in targets is where it gets interesting. Harty is a sneaky pick there. I feel like he is the stealth signing of the offseason, nobody in local or national media is really talking about him at all and this board has all but forgotten about him. We gave him a decently large contract considering his injury history. So I have to think he will be more involved than the lack of buzz would have you believe.

So my predicted target share ranking is this:

Diggs

Davis

Harty

Kincaid

Knox

Cook

Shakir

And the scraps will go to the remaining depth pieces.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

2 straight years with ankle problems and the drops will transition Dalton to 2nd most targets.  I think this will be Gabes's last season as a Bill.

Davis was also battling a thumb injury during the second half of the season.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The obvious answer is Davis because he will almost certainly have the most snaps out of all skill position players. Last year he even had 90 more snaps than Diggs despite playing in one less game. That kind of snap percentage lends itself to a high target share. Hopefully he maximizes those targets much better than he did last year.

Third in targets is where it gets interesting. Harty is a sneaky pick there. I feel like he is the stealth signing of the offseason, nobody in local or national media is really talking about him at all and this board has all but forgotten about him. We gave him a decently large contract considering his injury history. So I have to think he will be more involved than the lack of buzz would have you believe.

Diggs

Davis

Harty

Kincaid

Knox

Cook

Shakir

Even the poll can't get Harty's name right. He should just change it to Hardy and save everybody the trouble. I agree he is a rather forgotten man who is a more important piece in their overall plan. I see a diverse set of weapons and an improved IOL. I am assuming Josh will be fully recovered from any lingering injuries. It's up to Dorsey to make full use of a nicely stocked offensive roster. One neglected aspect of picking up Kincaid is he will likely take some of the blocking responsibilities that have been previously assigned to Davis which should allow WR2 to concentrate more exclusively on catching. Not sure it will help much, but it shouldn't hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Diggs

Davis

Harty

Kincaid

Knox

Cook

Shakir

Sherfield had 51 targets with Miami last season and did well with his opportunities.  Why did we sign him if we're not going to throw to him?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

???

Yeah, but 2015 was Olsen's 9th year in the league and 5th year on the Panthers.

In Olsen's rookie year he had 66 targets, and in his first year with the Panthers, which was his fifth year in the NFL, he had 89 targets.

Dorsey and Shula overlapped at the panthers from 2013-2017.

Olsen:

2013 - #1 in targets

2014 - #2 in targets

2015 - #1 in targets

2016 - #1 in targets

2017 - injured in Week 2 (against the Bills no less) He went onto IR for much do that season.

I understand that Olsen was into his prime at that time, but part of the equation was knowing how to use him.

I voted for Davis, but this poll is not outrageous. With both Dorsey and Shula on this Bills offensive staff, there is a path for Kincaid targets. It is exactly why this could end up being a really good first round pick.

I can't put my money on Davis another year.. Year after year of ankle injures. he turned into sammy watkins jr.  People that say a rookie won't get the #2 in targets i think its tough..

Lets put it this way... I think what Kincaid and Davis gets, as the year goes it gets closer and closer. I think Kincaid targets will only slightly be higher so I choose Kincaid. 

People need to stop living in the past with Knox not getting targets. Knox was not getting open enough and had drop issues early on.. A QB loses faith after a while. 

Just because throws to knox were not often enough, does not mean they were  not called. 

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sherfield had 51 targets with Miami last season and did well with his opportunities.  Why did we sign him if we're not going to throw to him?

Josh will be throwing to all his weapons. Even Murray is pretty good as a pass catching rb and he's a big target.  

10 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I think the bigger question is who will be 3rd.  I might have to go with Shakir and then  Knox and Kincaid.  If Shakir takes over the old Beasley stuff plus plays outside for Davis and Diggs on occasion I think he could see a lot of targets.  If Knox and Kincaid both catch between 40 and 60 balls I'd consider that a win compared to Knox and Morris/Sweeney.  If Kincaid catches 40 balls I'll be happy.  Sixty or more and I'll start listening to talk about him being the next Kelce or something of that ilk. 

Davis 2 then Kincaid 3 based on 2nd half of year Knox and Shakir after 

The results of the poll are probably accurate. Kincaid is so far beyond Davis in terms of talent that defenses will be forced to double team him in addition to shading extra defenders on Diggs. Davis will be so wide open that Josh will have no choice but to prioritize him when it comes to targets.

Edited by VW82

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.