Beane: “working on at least 2 veteran UFA’s”

Warriorspikes51

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am slightly confused by the defensive tackle thing. Isn't the issue less about numbers at the position this year and more about not having any under contract for next year (so facing yet another total makeover of the spot which no doubt will involve Beane spending all of his FA pennies there)? So how does signing a vet to a 1 year deal help? 

The attraction to drafting a guy was a cheap 4 year deal. An expensive 1 year deal makes less sense to me, even if they end up cutting Tim Settle.

I don't think they will sign an expensive veteran for a year deal. I believe they will sign a decent stop gap at a reasonable price. Beane will be price shopping. 

I'm on the record saying go all in on the offensive side of the ball. I know you and many others disagree with sound valid points. 

With that said, this team has some serious defensive holes at DT and LB. 

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think they will sign an expensive veteran for a year deal. I believe they will sign a decent stop gap at a reasonable price. Beane will be price shopping. 

I'm on the record saying go all in on the offensive side of the ball. I know you and many others disagree with sound valid points. 

With that said, this team has some serious defensive holes at DT and LB. 

Which "sound valid points" did I disagree with? If it was going all in to improve the offense that wasn't me I have been asking for protection and weapons for 2 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am slightly confused by the defensive tackle thing. Isn't the issue less about numbers at the position this year and more about not having any under contract for next year (so facing yet another total makeover of the spot which no doubt will involve Beane spending all of his FA pennies there)? So how does signing a vet to a 1 year deal help? 

The attraction to drafting a guy was a cheap 4 year deal. An expensive 1 year deal makes less sense to me, even if they end up cutting Tim Settle.

Yes, it makes sense to extend a couple guys currently on the roster. But apparently  Beane is okay with one-year deals.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I know they had also talked to Yannick Ngakoue and Rashaan Evans which would both fill needs. But right now we are at just under $5 million in cap space and that's before signing our draft class.

And with every signing 1M is offset with the contract that falls off the Top 51 at this point. Only two draft picks that will count agains the cap initially because of this are Kincaid and Torrence 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Also right now with Roster and Draft picks we are at 75 on roster. 

15 spots to fill for 90. 

6 reported UDFA reported signed 

81 players. Still need 9 for camp. 

Beane said he didn't necessarily expect to get to 90 the other day. He said he expects them to get to 83 or 84. 

Either than means they will fill the rest with rookie try outs or maybe they go to camp light? 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It was a generalized statement.  No reason for him to say names.  I’d assume Poona Ford could be one since they were linked to having interest in March.  

Poona will likely be too expensive.

It'll be one of that bunch of 6 - 9 experienced solid unsigned DEs, for one. Probably whoever will accept a contract of around $2 - $3M.

And maybe a DT. Linval Joseph used to be good. He's out there, but maybe too old. Who's tough but affordable?

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Poona will likely be too expensive.

It'll be one of that bunch of 6 - 9 experienced solid unsigned DEs, for one. Probably whoever will accept a contract of around $2 - $3M.

And maybe a DT. Linval Joseph used to be good. He's out there, but maybe too old. Who's tough but affordable?

Matt Ioannidis might be the DT they are targeting I think.

He's got experience in the Bills defensive system (played for Rivera for a long time), highly aggressive pocket collapser, former teammates with Tim Settle, also has DE flexibility which the Bills covet.

Would make a lot of sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It's not the huge deal everyone is making it out to be.

There is probably a 99% chance that DaQuan Jones gets re-signed, long before Free Agency next year.  That immediately locks down one starting spot.

Jordan Phillips and Tim Settle seem to be OK without long-term deals, and just going along with the 1-year contracts.  Neither generates much interest on the open market, and can always be a fallback option.

The only question mark really is Ed Oliver.  And I think he will get the Tremaine Edmunds treatment.  Play out the 5th Year.  Offer him a fair deal to stay on the team.  If he decides to leave, then we address the position next year.

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

It's not the huge deal everyone is making it out to be.

There is probably a 99% chance that DaQuan Jones gets re-signed, long before Free Agency next year.  That immediately locks down one starting spot.

Jordan Phillips and Tim Settle seem to be OK without long-term deals, and just going along with the 1-year contracts.  Neither generates much interest on the open market, and can always be a fallback option.

The only question mark really is Ed Oliver.  And I think he will get the Tremaine Edmunds treatment.  Play out the 5th Year.  Offer him a fair deal to stay on the team.  If he decides to leave, then we address the position next year.

Locking Jones down long term makes no sense though. At his age the wall is coming. I hope we get another good year out of him. But we aren't going to get 3 or 4 more good years. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane said he didn't necessarily expect to get to 90 the other day. He said he expects them to get to 83 or 84. 

Either than means they will fill the rest with rookie try outs or maybe they go to camp light? 

I heard it. In context I took that post UDFA frenzy the Bills will be sitting between 83-85. 

IT is a hard job to pitch to UDFAs looking at rosters for a soft spot in their position group. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.