Some insight on Bills first round and how it went down

Alphadawg7

Which scenario would you have liked better  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the scenarios that almost happened or did happen would you have preferred?

• Traded up using our 3rd to get Addison
    • Did what we did, used our 4th to trade up and get Kincaid
    • Traded back with Titans to 41 and picking up their 3rd
    • Stayed at 27 and taken someone else since Kincaid would have been gone

4 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Sounds very possible.  @HappyDays posted this "inside info" in @GunnerBill thread though. 

Maybe not as clearly stated about Jordan, but Bills were obviously interested and highly speculated by many "close reporters" of being a potential trade up option.

Albert Breer posted the potential Bills/Titans trade on twitter Friday night too, so that sounds legit.

All in all, I'd have been happy with either player.  Like I said, and others said too, in the Hopkins thread, this team needed a better underneath/slot option and improved OG play....seems like Beane nailed that.  I'd been hapoy with Kincaid or Addison, both should have very good careers.

Yeah like I said, not all of this was inside info and said some of this is already out publicly.  I was more filling in the gaps was some further details.  

Mainly because I love the full story here.  I love knowing Beane was all in on getting Allen a big time weapon, and he was aggressive and pivoting on the fly like we know he likes to do.  He had all his bases covered...tried to get his guy...missed...worked out a contingency trade down to get us more ammo...another guy fell...and pounced and moved up.  

I just find the full details interesting and love how Beane operates.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

@Chaos

why would you roll your eyes at this post?

I don’t get it

Because its a push poll question that did not provide the answer the pusher wanted. And the insider information piece reeks of BS. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Before the draft started I would have loved Addison at 27 but would not have wanted to give up a 3rd to move up and get him. 

Now that we know the Bills took our third round pick and lit it on fire, that would be my preferred choice.

But I like the move for Kinclaid, no complaints. 

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If this was the only trade down opportunity then I agree with what Beane did.  Dropping 14 spots was too far to only pick up a third. If the team had fewer holes, you can do that and get a 2nd in 2024.  Only trade back that would have made sense was in the top 5 of the second round that would have also given you a top 5 in the 3rd round.  Then the Bills would have had 4 picks from say somewhere between 34 to 91. That nets you one more top player and probably still gets you a WR, an OG, a better ILB prospect, and an OT or an edge.  

I don't know if it was the only one, but I do know it was the one he had already agreed to and was in place contingent the fate of Kincaid at that point (since Addison was gone).  I agree, I am much happier taking Kincaid and getting Allen the help than moving that far back.  

Beane did a great job, love that he was aggressive to get his 1B guy and it only cost us a 4th and think it worked out pretty good for us.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What is the preferred answer?

I don't know what he thinks the point of the poll was, he is just salty cuz I rolled my eyes at one of his posts yesterday.  But for the record, in this poll I voted do the same and take Kincaid and only give up a 4th

• Like (+1) 1

I also heard a couple weeks ago that Addison was their primary target in the 1st round. Another credible poster on here said the same thing. So yeah that is definitely true.

On Kincaid, I don't think the Bills ever really thought he would be there. They didn't have him in for a top 30 visit which is I believe the first time in the McDermott/Beane era for our 1st round pick. Good on Beane for sticking to his board and making sure to come away with a true 1st round talent even if he wasn't someone we specifically targeted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Some guy from ESPN speculated something. Shocking. I’m going with the main stream thinking on this one. 

A Dallas insider saying they weren't going TE in round 1 but sure let's just go with what Beane said when justifying moving up

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know what he thinks the point of the poll was, he is just salty cuz I rolled my eyes at one of his posts yesterday.  But for the record, in this poll I voted do the same and take Kincaid and only give up a 4th

Sounds on par for the course.  

I was thinking it was due to the premise being that Addison was our #1 target which would refute Kincaid being our #1 target all along. 

but who knows

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

A Dallas insider saying they weren't going TE in round 1 but sure let's just go with what Beane said when justifying moving up

I’m not saying it is fact, but it was worth being sure, IMO. They got the guy they wanted, and there was reason to believe others wanted him. Then some guy who reports on and is regularly involved with the Cowboys prints something positive? I’ll take that with a grain of salt, tbh. He’s got to work with Jerruh and the gang, so that might curry him some favor. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sounds on par for the course.  

I was thinking it was due to the premise being that Addison was our #1 target which would refute Kincaid being our #1 target all along. 

but who knows

That’s how it works, we’ll never know. It could be they’d have preferred Addison, but couldn’t get the deal done to get that much higher, or couldn’t justify a higher cost. WR’s went in a hurry there! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Coming out of the first with Addison, if all it would’ve taken is our 3rd (after seeing who we took) would’ve been my preference.  

However, it’s a 1A to Kincaid’s 1B situation.   Very happy with Kincaid as well. 

a dynamic WR is a more valuable player but it seems they had a practical plan, with solid baked in contingencies 

I agree with their seeming rank of:

get the best wr

secure the last guy worth the round

move back reasonably 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

JSN is a good question, he was gone already at this point, so not sure if he had a first round grade too or not given Beane said he didn't have one all of the guys who went in the first.  And if he did, I wonder who was higher, him or Kincaid.  My guess is that it probably went Addison - Kincaid - JSN as everything points to them loving Kincaid almost as much as they loved Addison.

Anything is possible but that would surprise me. I’ve heard several evaluators say that JSN was the only WR they had with a 1st round grade. I’ve yet to hear a single one say he was not rated as a first rounder. Not to say that teams couldn’t have a wide variety of rankings and ratings on just about any player. 

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I also heard a couple weeks ago that Addison was their primary target in the 1st round. Another credible poster on here said the same thing. So yeah that is definitely true.

On Kincaid, I don't think the Bills ever really thought he would be there. They didn't have him in for a top 30 visit which is I believe the first time in the McDermott/Beane era for our 1st round pick. Good on Beane for sticking to his board and making sure to come away with a true 1st round talent even if he wasn't someone we specifically targeted.

Yeah I think you are right on that

Honestly, I thought both Mayer and Kincaid would go before our pick, so was surprised to see Mayer fall to the 2nd too.  I even thought Mayer might go ahead of Kincaid just because he is more of a complete TE where Kincaid was more of a weapon.  So figured a TE needy team might go Mayer first.

Edited by Alphadawg7

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What an exciting first 2 days of the draft, none more exciting than the first round!  Well here is how the first round went down for the Bills, some of this has come out publicly since our pick and some of this is inside info I have confirmed.  I don't often share inside info on here, but when I have as you know it's been always been correct, and I have a little here to share now as well. 

• Jordan Addison was their first and primary target in which they tried at least twice to trade up for him.  He was their highest graded WR in the draft.
    • I have a source that confirms to me that one of the teams were the Chargers but were rebuffed as they were all in on Quentin Johnston.
    • I don't know who the other team(s) was, but it was presumably after the Chargers because they said we "first tried to get him at the Chargers pick".
  • Supposedly Bills did not have a first round grade on all of the WR's that went before our pick, and Addison was definitely the only one they tried to trade up for.  So not clear if Addison was the only first round grade or not, but they definitely didn't have one on all 4 guys.
  • The only remaining player on the board after Addison went with a first round grade on Beanes board was Kincaid.  This is not inside info, Beane directly stated that.  
  • From what I was told, the Jags had another team call with a similar offer for their pick but ours was slightly better.  (Maybe Cincy for Kincaid?) 
    • I would guess it was Cincy, not sure if it was for Kincaid or just to make sure they got Myles Murphy if they thought we might go EDGE with the top 4 WRs gone.
    • The reason I would guess Cincy is because they would have to be close enough to be offering the same 4th round pick since it was "similar" compensation, but also be behind us where our pick was a slightly better value.  Looking at the teams behind us, Cincy makes sense to me. 
  • Beane stated he had a trade down in place if Kincaid was gone. 
    • I also was told this was true and it was with the Titans where we sent 27 and got back 41 and their 3rd.  
    • Once Giants took a CB, Beane obviously pulled the trigger with the Jags to get Kincaid instead of the trade down.

Nothing too ground breaking here, more just confirming what a lot of us suspected already or had already come out.  Addison being their top target was pretty known given how many times they met with him.  But it was interesting to see that we tried to get Addison though, makes me wonder if he was the only WR they had a first round grade on, or did they have on JSN too but just preferred Addison.  

What I love about Beane is that when he wasn't able to get Addison, he stayed aggressive in his pursuit for more weapons for Allen and pounced as soon as he had an opportunity to get one by not hesitating to jump the Cowboys to do it.  

I have no info on Hopkins, so don't ask :nana:

Well if you’re right, we can all be thankful that the Vikes took Addison…

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Anything is possible but that would surprise me. I’ve heard several evaluators say that JSN was the only WR they had with a 1st round grade. I’ve yet to hear a single one say he was not rated as a first rounder. Not to say that teams couldn’t have a wide variety of rankings and ratings on just about any player. 

Yeah, I was just saying I don't know if they did or didn't.  But I am with you and think JSN probably had a first round grade too and then one of (or both) Flowers and Johnston did not given Beane said he didn't have a first round grade on all of them.  

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Show the tape of them looking mad when Kincaid was drafted. I've seen zero proof that is what happened except from Beane who is just trying to justify giving up a draft pick *again*, same thing every year

Why you are hung up on this notion to "prove" Dallas 100% for sure would take Kincaid is a bit puzzling.  No team knows 100% for sure what another team will do, teams trade up under the assumption there is a strong enough chance the player might not reach you, so you pay the price to make sure you get him.  

Bills CLEARLY felt Kincaid could go to Dallas OR another team who would trade up with either Jags or Dallas ahead of us.  They felt the risk was high enough to make the move.  Proving any of the risks real is completely irrelevant in terms of the decision Beane had to make when Kincaid was there at pick 25.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’ve heard several evaluators say that JSN was the only WR they had with a 1st round grade. I’ve yet to hear a single one say he was not rated as a first rounder.

Evaluators that only watch film are missing like a third of what NFL GMs look at. JSN's modest size and speed may relegate him to a slot only role in the NFL and he has a huge medical red flag. I would actually be surprised if Beane had a 1st on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.