Some insight on Bills first round and how it went down

Alphadawg7

Which scenario would you have liked better  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the scenarios that almost happened or did happen would you have preferred?

• Traded up using our 3rd to get Addison
    • Did what we did, used our 4th to trade up and get Kincaid
    • Traded back with Titans to 41 and picking up their 3rd
    • Stayed at 27 and taken someone else since Kincaid would have been gone

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

I’m confused. Your source is stating that Addison “was the only WR they had a first round grade on “, yet Beane directly stated they didn’t have a 1st round grade on any of the 4 WR taken before Bills picked. 

For the record, I think Kincaid was a better pick thanAddison. 

I think you mis-heard him, I believe Beane said "we didn't have a 1st round grade on ALL of the WR drafted before us".

I don't think Beane said they didn't have a 1st round grade on ANY of the WR taken before the Bills picked.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Evaluators that only watch film are missing like a third of what NFL GMs look at. JSN's modest size and speed may relegate him to a slot only role in the NFL and he has a huge medical red flag. I would actually be surprised if Beane had a 1st on him.

I do not think anyone was unaware of JSN’s hamstring or size. 

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I think the fact that they Took Luke Schoonmaker at #58 in the 2nd round, way above his pre-draft projection, is pretty compelling evidence that Kincaid was a real desire for them in the 1st.

I could have swore I saw Schoonmaker mocked to us in the 3rd, so was a little surprised to see him go in the 2nd.  Wasn't surprised it was Dallas to do it though since we stole Kinkaid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Evaluators that only watch film are missing like a third of what NFL GMs look at. JSN's modest size and speed may relegate him to a slot only role in the NFL and he has a huge medical red flag. I would actually be surprised if Beane had a 1st on him.

Its certainly possible, there was a lot of pre-draft chatter that WR's weren't as high on some boards as people think and that some teams only had 1 with a first round grade.  Im sure that varied heavily between teams too.  

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

A Dallas insider saying they weren't going TE in round 1 but sure let's just go with what Beane said when justifying moving up

So, here’s another guy who knows a little about Dallas. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

So, here’s another guy who knows a little about Dallas. 

He's just a fan like you or me. There are people upset that we didn't trade all the way up for the 4th best WR or the 2nd best RB. Doesn't mean that was the right thing to do either

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

He's just a fan like you or me. There are people upset that we didn't trade all the way up for the 4th best WR or the 2nd best RB. Doesn't mean that was the right thing to do either

Sure, except I know I haven’t been covering the Cowboys in the media for decades.  Maybe you have some connections there? Somehow, as much as I avoid listening to annoying Skippy, I think he knows a bit more about the Cowboys than either of us. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

This ignores the fact that another team was trying to trade up to the same spot. Kincaid may have been their target as well. Plus who knows who would have tried to trade with Dallas if Kincaid is on the board with the Cowboys on the clock. A lot more at play than just what the Cowboys were looking to do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is just plain dumb.  Of course there is no proof because unless he fell to Dallas they were not going to say anything - so how do you prove something that could never happen.  We know TE was high on their list because they took TE in Rd 2 by reaching for a 3rd round guy.

The other failure is assuming because they jumped in front of Dallas that they were the only team that might have taken Kincaid.  There are even more rumors that Buffalo was not the only team trying to move up to Jacksonville/NYG spot both before and after the trades.  What if Beane waited and Cincinnati or KC moved up to Jacksonville’s spot and drafted Kincaid - would that have made you feel better?

It is the draft and there is a ton of crap being spewed by all sides.  You feel there is no proof that Dallas wanted him because Jones said so - meaning you would prefer to believe a guy that potentially lost out on a player and tried to play it off and then later (2nd Round)  over-reached to draft a different TE because of need.  

I tend to believe that the Bills heard rumors that both a potential trade up to Jacksonville or the Cowboys could both potentially take Kincaid and as he may have been their last 1st round grade (or maybe that is also a smokescreen) - they felt comfortable making the move.

Proof is what it is - you have exactly the same proof that the Cowboys would of drafted Kincaid as we have of them not drafting Kincaid - both the only proof is a GM telling you what they want to say - everything else is crap.

Right, so nobody knows. That's the point. The post said Dallas was going to draft him like it was a fact. Nobody knows. Insiders said Dallas had no TE rated that high. We'll never know 

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Right, so nobody knows. That's the point. The post said Dallas was going to draft him like it was a fact. Nobody knows. Insiders said Dallas had no TE rated that high. We'll never know 

Are you referring to the original post? If so, I think you should read it again. The original post says nothing about Dallas wanting to take Kincaid.

I fully believe that the Cowboys wanted Kincaid.  They lost their best (by far) TE in Schultz over the off-season, Jerruh loves TEs and Dak needs all the weapons he can get.  And the fact that they took so long making their selection suggests they didn't know what to do and/or were looking to trade out.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/29/2023 at 8:09 AM, newcam2012 said:

Look at last year's draft. The Chiefs jumped the Bills and drafted McDuffie and the Bills were left with Elam. 

McDuffie looked a lot better than Elam. Not that Elam didn't show signs of progressing. 

Point being sometimes you wait and get burned and sometime you don't. 

The fact that Dallas took a TE today certainly bodes well that Kincaid was probably their pick or at the very least on their radar. 

In short, I was fine with Beane giving up a 4th to get their TE. 

Seeing how deflated that Cowboy draft room looked during the process of the first round pick, it certainly appeared they lost out on their guy and had to settle.  Honestly, it was glorious.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Seeing how deflated that Cowboy draft room looked during the process of the first round pick, it certainly appeared they lost out on their guy and had to settle.  Honestly, it was glorious.

I suppose. It didn't move the needle for me. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I suppose. It didn't move the needle for me. 

The only thing that really matters is if Kincaid works out, if not, it still sucks.   Knowing how hyped up that Cowboys draft room usually is when they make a pick, something definitely didn’t go the way they wanted.

37 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The only thing that really matters is if Kincaid works out, if not, it still sucks.   Knowing how hyped up that Cowboys draft room usually is when they make a pick, something definitely didn’t go the way they wanted.

I guess. For me, I could careless about the Cowboys. I suppose if you dislike them you could get some joy out of what happened. 

9 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

Are you referring to the original post? If so, I think you should read it again. The original post says nothing about Dallas wanting to take Kincaid.

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

It's been since edited

Nope, it has not been edited, so sorry, that is incorrect.  What I stated in the OP is still there, and its quoted below.  You started your whole thing on Dallas with another poster who was commenting in this thread. 

Here is exactly what my OP said then and says now.  

On 4/29/2023 at 1:31 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

What I love about Beane is that when he wasn't able to get Addison, he stayed aggressive in his pursuit for more weapons for Allen and pounced as soon as he had an opportunity to get one by not hesitating to jump the Cowboys to do it.  

20 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So you found an article to support your incessant narrative on this topic and food it in the 'Landry Hat", A VERY UNDIASED SOURCE.  We get it.

Yes the Buffalo Bills fan forum is less biased. Got it, I'll just believe everything I read here from now on

On 4/29/2023 at 4:31 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

The only remaining player on the board after Addison went with a first round grade on Beanes board was Kincaid.  This is not inside info, Beane directly stated that.  

Funny how this works out. Beane said the same thing about Elam last year. It just so happens that the Bills are lucky enough to pick the last 1st rounder they have on their board. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/29/brandon-beane-kaiir-elam-was-last-first-round-grade-on-our-board/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.