Was the trade up necessary? 🤔

StHustle

Was it worth us trading up in the first and losing our 4th round pick?  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the players still available and what we gave up, was trading our 4th round pick worth moving up two slots to draft Dalton Kincaid?

• Yes, it WAS worth it!
    • No, it is NOT worth what we gave up!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2023 at 11:37 PM

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Its a fair point to raise, but as the founding member of the “stop telling me they’re pass catchers” whine club… literally, view him as a pass catcher.  

WR’s make an impact early.  Yes, TE’s take time.  Kincaid can block some and give us some TE help… BUT he’s going to be our slot WR.  

He’s an absolute monster as a receiver. 

Notable is his Zierlein draft profile, which essentially describes him as a receiver.  

Move tight end whose premium talent as a pass-catcher will be the primary focus for evaluators. Kincaid is a fluid route runner with the athleticism and play speed to create mismatches against lesser coverage. Impeccable ball skills and sticky hands allow him to tilt 50/50 contested throws in his favor. He lacks the play strength and technique to work in-line, but can handle some positional blocking in space from time to time. Kincaid can manage a more extended route tree, allowing calculating play-callers to open up the entire field and stress coverages. He will need to acclimate to a more physical/athletic brand of coverage, but should blossom into a weapon.

The reason "TE take time" is that they're asked to master the nuances of blocking technique and blocking assignments - which are NOT simple - as well as route trees and play design.  I'm sure the Bills will ask him to block, but the smart money says the Bills indeed view him as a big slot. 

• Like (+1) 1

In answer to your question, in a word, Yes.

A 4th round pick is a valuable one to a team that’s rebuilding a roster in an effort to get to the playoffs. 

The Bills are past that phase. Reinforcing a Super Bowl-caliber roster with added playmakers is their current state. 

Kincaid appears to have all the on and off-field traits that the Bills look for.  

I’m optimistic that he’ll become a valuable piece to the Super Bowl puzzle, helping to create mismatches in opposing defenses backfields.  If that scenario unfolds, I don’t think we’ll miss that 4th round draft choice. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes.

Last guy with a 1st round grade, and he was a need. And Dallas was going to take him. Had to happen.

Daniel Jeremiah had his as his #11 player in the draft. Cowboys were going to take him. Most people agree it was a great get, even at that cost. We need players who can make a difference. I think he can do that and is a better get than two JAGs. We need special, even if it’s not a WR. I’ve seen more highlight film on him (I know, highlights) and I like what I see. 

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Bills were stupid

Frustrated Skip Bayless GIF

His name is not Bill, but he is indeed stupid. He will wear out my mute button! 

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Its a fair point to raise, but as the founding member of the “stop telling me they’re pass catchers” whine club… literally, view him as a pass catcher.  

WR’s make an impact early.  Yes, TE’s take time.  Kincaid can block some and give us some TE help… BUT he’s going to be our slot WR.  

He’s an absolute monster as a receiver. 

So was Zay Jones as I recall.  The hype was off the charts on him.  

Again, we'll see.  Nothing is guaranteed except that he doesn't play OL or LB.  

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

So was Zay Jones as I recall.  The hype was off the charts on him.  

Again, we'll see.  Nothing is guaranteed except that he doesn't play OL or LB.  

Zay Jones was out of his mind, for some strange reason. That was a (mental health) outlier, in my mind. He’s still in the league, and I doubt we’ll ever know exactly what was going on behind the scenes. 

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

Gonna bet….

you would be the same person to B word we didn’t trade up to pick him over dallas because he had a good game against us next season ???in 

Its funny... you made this post acting like you hated it and you neeeeeeeeeeeever voted no. so lets put you on record.. Yes? Or No?

Just now, Augie said:

I guess that counts as an opinion. 🤷‍♂️

lol.. man I love these forums to death

buuut...

lol

20 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

If he lives up to his potential down they will be able to trade Knox down the road and recoup that pick, this guys ability to go up and ***** the ball in traffic cannot be coached, what can be coached is his blocking which is the lesser of his game. Go watch his highlights on youtube and tell me we have someone that can make the kind of plays this kid can.

This is the pick in a nutshell.  Add his movement ability and route running into the mix-  just need him to stay healthy. 

Seems like those that hate it are in the minority of Bills Mafians.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Bills fans should start to understand Beane will get the player HE wants in the 1st.  

What since he has been here 5 drafts with first round picks (minus the Diggs year) traded up in 4 of them to get the player he wanted.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

I think he already has decent rout running... Him watching Diggs every day will make it better :D 

Sorry if I didn’t get my point across correctly.  

i meant to say that he has great route running and movement ability.  Those 2 attributes + his elite ball skills are what sets him apart and a top 15 player in this draft imo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.