Your life hacks

Royale with Cheese

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you don’t have a chip clip, use a rubber band to close the bag.

Cleaning your bathroom mirror with shaving cream reduces fog on mirrors.

Vinegar, salt and dish soap mixed together kills weeds.  Kills everything so don’t use it on the lawn or near plants.

1 part each of vinegar,  isopropyl alcohol and water makes a great,  cheap cleaner.  Pretty much any surface.  Some add a drop of dish soap but I skip that.  

Edited by jayg

When ordering @ Olive Garden:

At least one person get the unlimited soup, another get the unlimited salad. 

💥 💥 💥... Both now have unlimited soup AND salad.

I was trying to hammer home this tricky life hack with the wife one time while on the sly, so nobody heard... A server cleaning a table nearby overheard and said: "Yup! That's the way to do it!"  So.. Even they know it's done. 

• Haha (+1) 1

For me?  Not so much.  For my dad?  He's the master.  My mom's in rough shape right now, so my sister and I have been pitching in and staying with my dad in WNY to help out.  Neither of us has lived in that house for probably 30 years (if not more), so finding my dad's life hacks brings incredible joy to an otherwise moribund situation.

Without further ado:

1. Trash can hack.  Foot pedal no longer works?  No problem.  Loop a piece of duck tape to the lid and pull it the duck tape loop when you need to open the can.  It's been like this for 10 years.
  2. Microwave hack.  Microwave no longer turns off when timer reaches zero.  No problem.  Put an interrupting switch between the plug and the outlet, and turn it off when the timer expires.  Oddly (a) this doesn't turn off the clock when you hit the switch though it stops the microwave and (b) if you open the microwave door while it's still running, the microwave will continue running.
  3. Mice / vermin hack.  Mice have been coming up from the basement into the house.  Do you call an exterminator?  No, you attach wood blocks and rubber to the bottom of the basement door so that the mice can't squeak through (pun intended, I guess).
  4. Buick Ultra paint hack.  Rust on the 2001 Buick Ultra?  No problem.  Duck tape to the rescue.
  5. Desk hack.  Don't want to buy a new computer desk?  No problem, attach an old interior door to the top of a dresser.
  6. Garbage disposal hack.  Can't lift the garbage disposal to install a new one?  No problem, buy a bottle jack from Autozone, crank the garbage disposal up to the mount, get things attached, return bottle jack to Autozone.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

When ordering @ Olive Garden:

At least one person get the unlimited soup, another get the unlimited salad. 

💥 💥 💥... Both now have unlimited soup AND salad.

I was trying to hammer home this tricky life hack with the wife one time while on the sly, so nobody heard... A server cleaning a table nearby overheard and said: "Yup! That's the way to do it!"  So.. Even they know it's done. 

Also, when Olive Garden is busy with a long wait time for a table, ask to sit at the bar. Usually, you get seated immediately and your food comes out faster because it's not waiting on a waitress with multiple tables to attend to.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

You can eliminate the need for chip clips by not eating chips.

Eating the whole bag at one go is another solution

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

When eating at Olive Garden, stop and ask yourself, "Why TF am I eating at Olive Garden???"

😉

"Friends don't let friends do chains"

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, jayg said:

1 part each of vinegar,  isopropyl alcohol and water makes a great,  cheap cleaner.  Pretty much any surface.  Some add a drop of dish soap but I skip that.  

While working in real estate a guy with a carpet cleaning business spoke at our sales meeting one day. Beneath every chair was a spray bottle full of alcohol. He explained that the carpet cleaning/stain removing sprays you use make the fabric crusty (it does) and leaves a residue that attracts future dirt. I’ve used it ever since as our go to spot remover and it’s better than anything else I’ve ever tried. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.