Tyler Bass 4 year extension

HappyDays

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ranked 12th in FG%

Ranked 16th in FG's made

Ranked 22nd in FG's made 50+.

He's definitely worthy of an increased contract but 21M seems a little robust based on these rankings.  I wish McD would allow Tyler to attempt more 50 yard fgs but with weather constraints he rarely does.

FG% is legit, but the other two stats come down to the sheer number of attempts and there are too many other factors that dictate those numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Or your kicker who has hit 10-15 from that range during the season, misses a 47 yarder that would have won a Super Bowl.

Ehh...that's not accurate. Norwood's range was around 47 yards back then. He basically had to put everything he had into it to make sure it got there and it likely caused it to be less accurate as a result.

There was a big different between 40 yard FGs in the early 90s and 47 yard FGs. Now pretty much anything 55 yards and under you expect your kicker to make. Definitely not the case back then. Kickers are night and day better now.

And for the 1990 season Norwood was 5 for 10 of FGs of 40-49 yards. 50%. So it was a true coinflip...it came up tails that time.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:04 AM, HOUSE said:

Can Tyler Bass  jump 10 feet in the air and snag a football in the endzone with 3 seconds left on the clock 

I don't think so....:huh:

image.png.59eeb6a43af15bdad365b0d1f5dcf80d.png

On 4/21/2023 at 5:12 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I’d be happy if he just taught our guys how to knock the ball away. 👍

Another failing of the HC/defensive coaching staff was that after the "Hail Murray" we let the exact same thing happen with Justin Jefferson.

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Ehh...that's not accurate. Norwood's range was around 47 yards back then. He basically had to put everything he had into it to make sure it got there and it likely caused it to be less accurate as a result.

There was a big different between 40 yard FGs in the early 90s and 47 yard FGs. Now pretty much anything 55 yards and under you expect your kicker to make. Definitely not the case back then. Kickers are night and day better now.

And for the 1990 season Norwood was 5 for 10 of FGs of 40-49 yards. 50%. So it was a true coinflip...it came up tails that time.

AND... the Norwood kick in the Super Bowl was off grass... and the hold wasn't good... the laces weren't out.

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Norwood Didn’t make one kick from natural grass from that distance all season

he had about a 25% chance

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

His numbers are finally out: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyler-bass-47784/

$5.2M signing bonus, which means extra $1M cap hit this year. I am really surprised that it in not backloaded at all. Cap hits are rising slightly from $4.4M in 2024 to $5.3M in 2027.

Right now we have about $5.1M left. Once rookies are accounted for it gets to about $3.5M, and then we need about $4M for PS and $1.7M for 52/53 player. So without any surprise cuts we will be in fact about $2M over the cap, plus we need some room for in season moves. Oh and we are going to sign some DT vet (per Beane), so my rought estimate is that by the start of the season we need to create about $6M cap space or so.

I see easy $2.3M savings from cutting Siran Neal. Other than that - maybe Jones extension, Oliver extension, or Dawkins/White restructures. 

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

His numbers are finally out: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyler-bass-47784/

$5.2M signing bonus, which means extra $1M cap hit this year. I am really surprised that it in not backloaded at all. Cap hits are rising slightly from $4.4M in 2024 to $5.3M in 2027.

Right now we have about $5.1M left. Once rookies are accounted for it gets to about $3.5M, and then we need about $4M for PS and $1.7M for 52/53 player. So without any surprise cuts we will be in fact about $2M over the cap, plus we need some room for in season moves. Oh and we are going to sign some DT vet (per Beane), so my rought estimate is that by the start of the season we need to create about $6M cap space or so.

I see easy $2.3M savings from cutting Siran Neal. Other than that - maybe Jones extension, Oliver extension, or Dawkins/White restructures. 

I detailed last week in another post that basically there are still moves that could be made to clear about $30M worth of cap space. Not advocating that every one of those moves SHOULD be made...but they are options. Oliver extension alone could clear anywhere from 5-7M this year. Still a lot of flexibility should the right guy come available and to get the rookie class under contract.

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I detailed last week in another post that basically there are still moves that could be made to clear about $30M worth of cap space. Not advocating that every one of those moves SHOULD be made...but they are options. Oliver extension alone could clear anywhere from 5-7M this year. Still a lot of flexibility should the right guy come available and to get the rookie class under contract.

Yeah I know we potentially can clear a lot of cap space. But unless you cut a guy everything you clear now just makes it worse following years. And from everything Beane has said so far he is not willing to go this way anymore. So I'd be really shocked if he cleared anything more than absolutely necessary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah I know we potentially can clear a lot of cap space. But unless you cut a guy everything you clear now just makes it worse following years. And from everything Beane has said so far he is not willing to go this way anymore. So I'd be really shocked if he cleared anything more than absolutely necessary.

Beane has said that they wouldn't hesitate to make the moves "if it made sense". Which I believe you are right...he's not going to clear the space just to clear it.

As for next season we are in FAR better shape than it looks. Looking at around being able to clear up $65-70M with restructuring and extensions. Time for Terry to get drilling. 

57 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I was just looking at all this today.  Your numbers are right on.  I too have suggested Neal may be part of the answer.  One thing to add is the 

savings for any of the "under 51" guys making the roster.  Not a lot of money, but it's always something.  

It's most likely Beane will have to make a move to clear a little more money and as you said it will be just enough to get through the year.

Next season will be tight too.  The big names (money wise) that I see is what happens with Morse, Hines and Harty.  Spotrac has only added

$10M for next season and that should be more.  Beane probably knows more than us fans as to how much more.  

@BuffaloBillyGhas said there is a lot of available restructures, but Beane is not going to go to the limits (as well he shouldn't).  I'm prepared

to see what we seen this year happen every year in the future.  A couple of UFA will walk (hopefully getting comp picks) and a bigger name guy

gets cut to keep this thing going.  You can't keep paying Josh $18M a year and guys like Von can't keep getting restructured.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Manther said:

Vanderjaat or Sebastian Janikowski?

Peyton Manning referred to their "idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth" during an interview when he was still on the Colts. But Janikowski was a boozetank too from what I recall. 

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Peyton Manning referred to their "idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth" during an interview when he was still on the Colts. But Janikowski was a boozetank too from what I recall. 

Wowsers, that is new to me.  Great interview, thanks for sharing!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Peyton Manning talking about idiot kickers, Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice on the field...and Travis Henry catches a TD. Epic clip 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.