Sean McDermott excited about calling the Defense

Sierra Foothills

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

Oh you bought the story that Frazier is just taking a year off?

He wasn't fired. He did step away. But he doesn't need to have been fired for your point to be true. When a HC takes over play calling it is usually make or break in whatever way it comes about. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He did it once in 5 years

Correct. But some of them will tell you because they saw McDermott holding a call sheet and talking into the headset when the Bills were on defense that he did it multiple times. 

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m excited for him

I think that McDermotts defenses are much more aggressive

I think we have to separate scheme from playcalling. I think the scheme will be very similar. But McD is a slightly more aggressive playcaller than Frazier. Within the confines of the same scheme I think McDermott is more likely to say "let's play pressure" than "let's play coverage." However, people can overplay the extent to which Leslie's defense was a "sit back" defense. They were 1st in QB pressure rate generated in 2021 and 14th in 2022. It's not like they were a bottom of the league group in that regard. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we have to separate scheme from playcalling. I think the scheme will be very similar. But McD is a slightly more aggressive playcaller than Frazier. Within the confines of the same scheme I think McDermott is more likely to say "let's play pressure" than "let's play coverage." However, people can overplay the extent to which Leslie's defense was a "sit back" defense. They were 1st in QB pressure rate generated in 2021 and 14th in 2022. It's not like they were a bottom of the league group in that regard. 

What in your opinion do you think caused them to go from First in QB pressure to 14th?

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He did it once in 5 years

he did it once that was disclosed publicly.

I think he did it a few times.  the wind game in 2021 hosting NE (thursday night, monday?  it was prime time).  i remember the camera being close to our players and coach on the sidelines, and mcd looked like he was screaming and telling guys what they needed to do (after missed gaps lead to a longish touchdown).  after that the d stiffened up some and we had a shot late in the game.

i think he's done it a few times and what's more i think it lead to pretty immediate positive results. 

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, colin said:

he did it once that was disclosed publicly.

I think he did it a few times.  the wind game in 2021 hosting NE (thursday night, monday?  it was prime time).  i remember the camera being close to our players and coach on the sidelines, and mcd looked like he was screaming and telling guys what they needed to do (after missed gaps lead to a longish touchdown).  after that the d stiffened up some and we had a shot late in the game.

i think he's done it a few times and what's more i think it lead to pretty immediate positive results. 

McDermott has always been involved in the defense. That is different to taking over play calling. He did it once. There is zero substantive evidence that he did it more than once. 

Frazier was looking at a reduced role at the very moment that the “Senior Defensive Assistant” idea was being tossed around and then brought on board, and it is a certainty that he wasn’t super pleased about it. Sure they wanted to keep him for his experience, BUT, he wasn’t going to be calling the shots like he had been, and that in his eyes this was a demotion and not acceptable, so he left and the story line that he was “stepping away” for a year/season was put out to in essence cover his leaving the team.  The odds of LF coming back after this upcoming season are in effect nil. The root cause was and still is three consecutive post season exits that came about because of a lack of willingness/capacity to be flexible in his play calling / scheming against the top echelon teams, his regular season success was quite good and not an issue, but more was needed and he was unable to deliver the goods, as is said. And here we are, SM is taking over  LFs former role with the assistance of the above mentioned Senior Defensive assistant. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott has always been involved in the defense. That is different to taking over play calling. He did it once. There is zero substantive evidence that he did it more than once. 

There is some evidence cd he did it more than once. But it’s true that he only admitted it once.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Only reason I want McD calling the plays is I no longer want coordinator excuses if they fail. 

For multiple years many on this board have blamed Frazier, Daboll, and now Dorsey for the team not making a SuperBowl. 

I have zero concern about McD calling plays and game management.  He already sucks at challenges so he can't get much worse. He is very very good on 4th down decisions, game clock management, and accepting/declining penalties.  I dont expect anything different.  

13 hours ago, Doc said:

I have little doubt that they wanted to keep Frazier as a coach, but strip him of play-calling duties.  Hence he left.

I am curious why Frazier left.  It is an odd thing... He didn't retire.  He didn't quit.  He wasn't fired.   And, as far as we know, it's not a medical leave of absence nor is he attending to a family issue.  

Your theory is an interesting possibility.  

13 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You don't agree with Einstein above... would you agree with Zag below? Would you say that McDermott is on thinner ice than he was one year ago?

I think he’s our coach when we play our first game in the new stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are some who believe McD interjected himself into the "13 seconds" debacle and directly impacted that outcome.  I don't think we'll ever really know, but that feeling is out there for some...

Personally, I share the OP's optimism.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.