Jalen Hurts contract

aristocrat

1 minute ago, boater said:

Just for amusement's sake, consider:

The Marriott in Amherst, a 400 room hotel in good condition and prime location, just sold for 14 million.

That's less than a year's salary for these QBs. It's just crazy.

And McKinley Mall will go for peanuts next month.

The whole league will crash and burn one day. Over spending and  greed will be the main reasons

It's so predictable 🙄 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, haroldwaide said:

How long until Aaron Rogers threatens to hold out because he's no longer the highest paid QB in the NFL?

For all we know, Aaron Rodgers IS holding out, he just hasn’t told anyone yet. I’d be OK with him holding out, never to be seen again. OR, somehow showing up in New Jersey and yanking their chain for a few years - as long as he has no weapons to threaten us and a crappy OL to help him get bruised. 

16 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The whole league will crash and burn one day. Over spending and  greed will be the main reasons

It's so predictable 🙄 

Once again, I agree.  The trajectory of both the owners and players compensation needs to level out.  If it doesn't, what you say is correct.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Josh didn't give the Bills a "hometown discount" in the amount of money he is being paid.  Where he did cut the Bills some slack was in the length of his contract.  Josh signed a six year contract that began at the end of his rookie contract locking him up until 2028.   With Hurts new contract, he is also locked up through 2028.  

Josh entered the League two years before Hurts did and both of their second contracts end in 2028.  The Bills got to lock up their guy at a lower rate for an additional two years compared to the Eagles, and with the inflation of the QB market, those extra years are big.  The Chiefs robbed the bank getting Mahomes to sign for ten years.

In today's NFL, I think the length of the contract is more important than the amount of the contract.  Every additional year is incredibly valuable to a franchise.

This is missing a few key points.  Josh was a 1st round pick and thus got a 5th year extension. Per the CBA  his second contract extension kicks in after the 5th year.  

Hurts was a second round pick and thus only a four year deal.  His new contract is an extension as well.   

I think in general you are correct the longer the deal the lower the annual cap hit.  It doesn't change the dollars paid just the accounting for the cap. 

50 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Once again, I agree.  The trajectory of both the owners and players compensation needs to level out.  If it doesn't, what you say is correct.

LOL they were saying that in the 70's and 80's.  Hasn't happened yet.  

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

It's so predictable 🙄 

LOL.  How old are you?  They said the same thing in the 1970s and 1980s.  And it has done nothing but grow.  Yes all good things come to an end but it won't be because of the players being overpaid.  

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Smart contract by Philly, assuming there's some out clause that doesn't kill them year 5.  Either Hurts evolves and turns into what Philly is hoping long term, or he runs himself into the ground and camps out on IR like Lamar

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HOUSE said:

It's so predictable 🙄 

People love watching football. That would have to change first.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/17/2023 at 11:39 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is going to happen every time a qb gets a new deal. Kinda hard to call any player making $45 million a bargain.

and great for Hurts. He had gotten doubted a lot and just put his head down and worked and kept getting better. He was awesome in the SB. He reminds me a lot of Allen. 

that said, if you are other positions, this has to drive you crazy. Not because of Hurts but because of scrubs like Jones and Jared Godf getting these deals. It’s insane what qbs get paid compared to other positions.

yup. there are 3 to 5 guys, like Allen and Mahomes who deserve every penny, if not more. The rest of these guys like Jones  barely deserve half of what they get. The nba is even worse for guys making undeserved money. seems like every other team has a max player guy or TWO who makes just about as much as a GIannis, KD, or prime Lebron. 

On 4/18/2023 at 10:10 AM, dorquemada said:

Smart contract by Philly, assuming there's some out clause that doesn't kill them year 5.  Either Hurts evolves and turns into what Philly is hoping long term, or he runs himself into the ground and camps out on IR like Lamar

the contract goes through 29, so the last three years i guess will average around 60. will probably seem normal or low by the time they get there! 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:42 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Why does it? So long as the league continues to be profitable who would you rather the money go to?

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Why does it? So long as the league continues to be profitable who would you rather the money go to?

Not charging the exorbitant prices to go see a game is a start.  Back when Rich Stadium was built my dad could work overtime on a Saturday

and make enough to buy 4 tickets, parking and food and drinks for a Bills game.  He was a factory worker.

What's that going to cost (work hour wise) to do the same at the new stadium?

It's my opinion that the NFL and NFLPA better be wary of pricing out their customers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.