Does any defender in the NFL have a reputation of being the best defender against Travis Kelce?

Chaos

10 minutes ago, papazoid said:

SAFETIES:

DERWIN JAMES, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

TYRANN MATHIEU, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

JIMMIE WARD, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

JEREMY CHINN, CAROLINA PANTHERS

DARNELL SAVAGE, GREEN BAY PACKERS

KYLE DUGGER, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

JAYRON KEARSE, DALLAS COWBOYS

LINEBACKERS:

FRED WARNER, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
 DARIUS LEONARD, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
 DEMARIO DAVIS, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
 ERIC KENDRICKS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

MATT MILANO, BUFFALO BILLS

I don't even know half of these players, but the Chiefs crushed the 49ers in 2022, and Kelce had 6 receptions for 98 yards.   That extrapolates to a 1600-yard season.  Jimmie Ward had two tackles and zero passes defensed.   

I really doubt all of these guys stop Kelce. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

this is my view also. He moves like a basketball player finding space in the paint in. Mahommes gets through his first or second read them dumps to him. 

It’s effective because it’s not predictable like a route tree

Well, I think it's predictable.   I mean, there are only so many places you can run from where the TE lines up.  The problem is that most of the defensive players must be deployed elsewhere in order to defend other threats.   Wideouts can't go left or right, because the sideline is there.  But they have speed, so they threaten you deep, and your safeties have to cheat to help.  Still, the wideout routes are somewhat limited.  If you have a tight end who can run, his routes too are predictable, but there are a lot more of them.  

Kelce killed Edmunds a couple of years ago.  It was simple - run into Kelce's area, move Mahomes in the pocket to force Edmunds to slide one way or another, cut Kelce in the opposite direction, BINGO!   It was simple, and it's predictable if you're prepared for it.  Some other defender has to be available to shade to Kelce as he makes his break.   When that happens that defender will get a pick or a near pick, and the Chiefs will have second thoughts about doing that.   That tactic creates a weakness someplace else, but Mahomes has to recognize it, and he has to recognize the NEXT defender who is rotating to cover THAT weakness.   

So, I think it's predictable but it isn't easy to defend.  

I'm sure McDermott will tell you that you have to mix it up.  Yes, use White on him sometimes.  Double him once in a while.   Disguise defenses.   Throw an occasional defensive wrinkle in there, something you haven't done before.  And, if you're good at changing it up like that, you slow down Mahomes a bit, so it's important to have pass rushers getting home, because Mahomes slowing down doesn't help if he isn't getting tackled or at least hit in the backfield.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, TOboy said:

Matt Milano and our elite safeties getting it done! 

That Milano has him smothered and covered like Waffle House 🤣

Edit: I love that he’s here. I’m a Milano fan. Kelce is the man right now. 

http://Patrick Mahomes GAME-WINNING Touchdown Pass To Travis Kelce! | Bills vs Chiefs Divisional Round - YouTube

Edited by Dopey
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Far from having an NFL mind but my first move would be to put my DB with the best reputation against him man to man, and tell him to hold the ever loving isht out of him every play. mix in a bunch of double teams with it, and tone down the holding a bit on those plays. then make all the other jag receivers beat you. im sure its been tried but i havent seen it

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Far from having an NFL mind but my first move would be to put my DB with the best reputation against him man to man, and tell him to hold the ever loving isht out of him every play. mix in a bunch of double teams with it, and tone down the holding a bit on those plays. then make all the other jag receivers beat you. im sure its been tried but i havent seen it

Didn’t we put Tre on him before? Their receivers are pedestrian besides him. 

22 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The best way to slow Kelce down is to harass him all game long . He has to be jammed consistently and covered by multiple players threw out his routes , Usually a athletic LB and a Safety doubling him up. 

Do you have examples of this working?

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Do you have examples of this working?

Not against Kelce, but BB used to put Talib on great TE’s and it worked pretty well. 

The biggest problem I think is the combination of Mahomes’ mobility and Kelce’s wiggle to get open. It’s synergistic. 

8 hours ago, papazoid said:

SAFETIES:

LINEBACKERS:

Like, none of them have stopped Kelce.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, papazoid said:

SAFETIES:

LINEBACKERS:

Pats and the Colts have been the best at defending him since Mahomes became Mahomes

On 4/9/2023 at 9:34 PM, aristocrat said:

You out score them. Josh Allen beats him 

I will never understand this line of thinking. Trying to beat the best QB in the league at their own A game on purpose. I can’t agree with anything less. The only way we will ever beat KC in the playoffs is by being different. You aren’t going to beat them at their own game. A shootout with Mahomes….it’s just dumb. I’m sorry. You find a way to be different. Be good at throwing but have balance enough to keep the ball away and make them play a style of game they are not comfortable in. Power run game? Physical line play, sprinkle in what we do well already. We aren’t the Trent Dilfer ravens our QB is excellent but you aren’t better at passing than KC. Definitely playing good defense would be a very good start. You want to play 45-41 games with KC? Their QB is the best in the league…you aren’t winning that game. The last thing you want to do is get into a game with KC where you are trying to out pass them. It’d be like trying to be the Warriors in a 3 point contest. You want to do everything but.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, Wizard said:

A baseball...That thing is his Kryptonite!

Regarding this, do these “celebrities” who get asked to throw out the first pitch even try to throw one before going out there and embarrassing themselves?

It seems like they may think “I got this!” when some (50 Cent?) may have never thrown a baseball.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.