New stadium cost goes up from $1.4 billion to $1.54 billion.

cba fan

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

They get the money but it's not coming from their pockets, it's coming from the fans, the public.  Sure, fans don't have to buy tickets if they don't want to.  But they do want to.

When the Raiders moved back to Oakland, they charge a hefty PSL for the right to buy season tickets at Oakland Raiders games.  Those PSLs aren't worth anythng anymore.  

And where does the fans money come from?  Whatever business Joe blow works for.  The point is it’s not tax dollars it’s generated from a business.  I understand you don’t like it but it does come from the pegulas pockets once they extract it from the fans.  At that point it is theirs to do with what they want.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

What about the Buffalo Bills fans that have health issues? What about the fact Erie County is a aging area of the country? Does that matter? You are trying to make it like it’s a tough guy thing or badge of honor. I went in blizzards back when I was healthy enough not just for the Buffalo Bills but the UB Bulls. The Buffalo Bisons were the best because you could get window seats in the restaurant to get around the freezing April cold weather. I once froze so badly at the Buffalo Bills game against the San Diego Chargers I couldn’t move my hand to make my power chair work. I had gloves on my brother in law thankfully had a blanket he bought he was using to put on my hand so I could get back to the car. And it sucked to battle the weather weekly as a Buffalo Bills and UB Bulls season ticket holder. I didn’t feel it was badge of honor at all. Again not all of us are in the same situation. It’s cold at these games and also for fans like me who are disabled in Power Wheelchairs we have to watch how much rain because it’s a power chair. I once had my power chair die at UB Stadium on the walk back at the end of the game because of nasty weather Miami Ohio RedHawks game with Ben Roelisburger it was a blizzard in the second half. Again sit in cold isn’t no badge of Buffalo honor. I only have been to one dome stadium football game ever the International Bowl Game in Toronto for the UB Bulls and I loved not freezing not having to layer on tons of clothes that isn’t enjoyable it’s a pain in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

They have services to get people to and for seats.  They have boxes to stay inside.  You are seriously going to take a stadium and find reasons it discriminates against someone?   Lots of people have health issues and cannot go to an nfl game easily.  Some choose to give it up just like they might give up hunting as they age.   But the stadium will have to be fully accessible with wheel chair ramps and elevators per ADA.  

I dont think it’s a tough guy thing.  It is a football thing.  Most places football is played outside.  If you want to attend in Buffalo it will be outside.  They are not making a 5 billion dollar dome with thousands of amenities no matter how much people complain.   You are trying to find any reason to make your point….aging population.  Who goes to games?   It is not a random sampling of the population it trends younger.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

They get the money but it's not coming from their pockets, it's coming from the fans, the public.  Sure, fans don't have to buy tickets if they don't want to.  But they do want to.

When the Raiders moved back to Oakland, they charge a hefty PSL for the right to buy season tickets at Oakland Raiders games.  Those PSLs aren't worth anythng anymore.  

And where does the fans money come from? You’re playing a circular logic game. You wanna really blow your mind? Close to $1 billion of the stadium costs is spent on the labor to construct it. So unless the construction workers are being bussed in from out of state, then vast majority of the state’s, county’s and the owner’s money goes right back into the local community who then uses it to by cars, refrigerators, groceries, and….football tickets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

And where does the fans money come from? You’re playing a circular logic game. You wanna really blow your mind? Close to $1 billion of the stadium costs is spent on the labor to construct it. So unless the construction workers are being bussed in from out of state, then vast majority of the state’s, county’s and the owner’s money goes right back into the local community who then uses it to by cars, refrigerators, groceries, and….football tickets. 

Well. Not all of it will be local. I understand your point. But I can tell you for a fact that Turner Construction who is one of the construction companies on the project, will be transferring workers into the area for the project. As well as Nyseg will for the electrical work. I know those 2 companies for sure, I can’t vouch for all of their workers, and I can’t vouch for any other company involved. Of course there will be plenty of local companies involved. 

48 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

PSLs are useless and an incredible rip off in general but In this instance it is egregious.

taxpayers are giving pegula $1bill for a new stadium, the least he could do is not place an exorbitant fee on top of already raised ticket prices. it's a slap in the face to this community

but pegula is in florida, WTF does he care about our community

That's just part of staying in the NFL

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

But it is money that comes from season ticket buyers and is used to fund the stadium.  Therefore, obviously, it cannot in any way be described as coming from the the pockets of "Pegs".

So when you go to work and get a paycheck and then use that paycheck to buy Bills tickets, can we way that money does not come from the Pocket of Mr. Weo and really it comes from your employer?  Same thing...he has a business that earns income from a PSL, at that point it is his.  He then chooses to build a stadium with it.   I totally understand you don't like it, it does feel like a hostage type deal but it is what it is...business.

7 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

PSLs are useless and an incredible rip off in general but In this instance it is egregious.

I'd say they have value since they are funding the stadium, not sure how you can call that useless.   The Tax money pays for part of it, not all of it.   Lots of people pay taxes and don't care about the Bills so shifting a bigger percentage on the actual consumers who will use the stadium seems reasonable even if we don't like it.  I think what you really want is for the Pegula's to just fund it from anywhere but PSL's....reasonable but it's not how it's going to go down.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So when you go to work and get a paycheck and then use that paycheck to buy Bills tickets, can we way that money does not come from the Pocket of Mr. Weo and really it comes from your employer?  Same thing...he has a business that earns income from a PSL, at that point it is his.  He then chooses to build a stadium with it.   I totally understand you don't like it, it does feel like a hostage type deal but it is what it is...business.

You’re right in general terms but I think when specifically talking about PSLs it’s a little different. The PSL was invented and intended from its earliest days to do one thing: finance construction of venues. PSL holders get no benefit from providing that subsidy, other than the optional right to attend events there. Which is fine, that’s how it’s done nowadays and owners aren’t going to walk them back now.

I think a lot of people have trouble not with the things themselves, but how these stadium pacts are presented, given the PSLs existence - you always hear “state/public is contributing x, with the team/owner contributing y.” In more accurate terms it’s “the general public is contributing x, while consumers of the product (ticket buyers) are contributing y. With the possibility of the owner cracking the wallet for cost overruns.”

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

I remember Ralph Wilson saying PSLs would never work in Buffalo. He may have been a bad owner but he was a smart man. Guess we'll see soon

I think they’ll work if priced correctly, i.e. on the very low end.

32 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I'd say they have value since they are funding the stadium, not sure how you can call that useless.   The Tax money pays for part of it, not all of it.   Lots of people pay taxes and don't care about the Bills so shifting a bigger percentage on the actual consumers who will use the stadium seems reasonable even if we don't like it.  I think what you really want is for the Pegula's to just fund it from anywhere but PSL's....reasonable but it's not how it's going to go down.

No it's money I earned.  Pegula's earned money is in a bank (so to speak).  Your analogy doesn't make sense. 

He doesn't "have a business the earns income from PSLs". And he's not building a stadium either. If he was charging a PSL since he bought the team that would be different--just another billionaire squeezing as much from a loyal customer as possible.  But there are no PSLs as of yet.  He is using them solely to offset any actual money of his own he would have to spend (or borrow) to fund "his" portion.

PSLs are worthless for the most part.  It's money tied up in nothing tangible and, in Buffalo, they would be hard to resell for face value.  But for the Canadians, every attendee of a game is a taxpayer...so they have already contributed to the majority of the cost of building this stadium.  It makes no sense to say that there is "value" in making the same customers pay again out of pocket to fund the rest of the "private" contribution, nor is it "reasonable" when the billionaire could easily cover the difference with his own funds (which are not your funds, just to remind you). 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/8/2023 at 8:35 PM, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

Backward or not, your theory certainly isn't validated by the Bills themselves.

I would venture to say that if there is one thing that anyone, from pundits to casual fans, could easily agree upon when it comes to the Bills, is that they're a rather soft team. So much that their QB is indisputably their toughest, most physical player.

So unless going through something like the Hamlin's scare and totally s**tting the bed afterwards is the definition of not being soft, yeah playing in the elements did pretty much nothing to make the Bills a though or physical team.

I never said that playing in the elements makes all teams tough and more resilient.  And I don't think all dome teams are soft.  For example, Detroit seems to rise above that obstacle lately.

But there does seem to be a pattern for the dome teams I mentioned as they are 'the same' kind of soft teams, year after year. 

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

I remember Ralph Wilson saying PSLs would never work in Buffalo. He may have been a bad owner but he was a smart man. Guess we'll see soon

It's going to put pressure on Terry to field a competitive team. Could you imagine 5-12, 6-11 type seasons in the new stadium with those ticket prices and PSL fees. If Terry is under pressure, then you know McDermott and Beane will be as well. 

Edited by Gregg

16 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It's going to put pressure on Terry to field a competitive team. Could you imagine 5-12, 6-11 type seasons in the new stadium with those ticket prices and PSL fees. If Terry is under pressure, then you know McDermott and Beane will be as well. 

I know the dome vs open air has been beat to death, and a decision has been made, but what you stated is why there should have been a dome.  In the years when you combine a crappy team with crappy weather, no one wants to go in November, December & January. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is part of my whole gripe with everything. My whole argument has multiple angles. 

They want to charge PSLs for seat. That’s fine. But I want it to be a better experience than what we’re currently getting. They want to increase ticket sales, that’s fine but I want to be more comfortable in my seat. They want to do all this, but had a losing team, it’s not going to work. 

right now there’s a 7,000 person waiting list for season tickets. Up from 4,000 last season. Back when we were in a 17 year drought, there was no waiting list. They are absolutely striking while the iron is hot. And good for them. That’s good business. But if things go south with this team, they are going to have an extremely hard time selling tickets at the prices they expect to get. 

Been my deal the whole argument. I’m good with spending more. I’ve sat through the worst conditions every single game since 2006. Now that they are building this new thing and could have planned from beginning to make fans comfortable. I’m not soft by any means. But for the money they want to charge, I want to be comfortable. I don’t want to have to bundle up like the Christmas Story kid in the winter. Or have to wear rain coats and get soaked all game in 38* rain days. That’s me personally. But it is true of many other people. And it’s factual based on when it is crumby, our stadium isn’t full. I see it every year. When the weather turns, people start skipping Games. When we were not good those seats went empty. When we are good, they often got to opposing teams fans on the secondary market. The Bengals this past year in the playoffs was embarrassing imo. Way too many bengals fans for a home Div playoff game. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

and he was right. It will be disastrous here

It will work as long as the Bills can put a winning product on the field that can compete for a Super Bowl. But if that changes then look to the 1970's, 1984, 1985 levels of attendance. Pressure is on Terry, and it will really be on Beane and McDermott to keep them a winning team.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So when the Buffalo Bills charge for PSL's and people pay it, what is that?  Are the Bills a business?   Are PSL's not revenue for the Bills business?

Yes. Bills are a business.  It's more money squeezed out of ticket holders so the owner/company can avoid taking on debt.  Essentially the STHer's take on the debt burden so the Bills don't have to.

That's what PSLs are for--simply to shift the "private funding" from the owner to the fans.  Their sole purpose.  If it was just because the Bills wanted more revenue, they would charge a PSL new stadium or not.  So this extra revenue would never otherwise be "in the owner's pocket".

PSLs are the way an owner says to fans "you pay for it".  Pretending otherwise is being disingenuous.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I disagree. PSLs have been a disaster in Dallas and they have been been at the same level we have been in recent years. I dont think anyone would argue they have a small or disinterested fanbase. 

PSLs are just a rip off whether the team is bad or good

I agree with you that it is a rip off. But if the team is winning then enough fans will deal with the cost and still go to the games. Unfortunately, many fans will be priced out from going.  The Bills know they will lose fans as the new stadium will only hold 65K.

Has it been brought up yet that Pegula is on the hook for overruns?

15 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I disagree. PSLs have been a disaster in Dallas and they have been been at the same level we have been in recent years. I dont think anyone would argue they have a small or disinterested fanbase. 

PSLs are just a rip off whether the team is bad or good

On the other hand, PSL's are like a user fee. Those attending games share in the cost of construction.

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes. Bills are a business.  It's more money squeezed out of ticket holders so the owner/company can avoid taking on debt.  Essentially the STHer's take on the debt burden so the Bills don't have to.

That's what PSLs are for--simply to shift the "private funding" from the owner to the fans.  Their sole purpose.  If it was just because the Bills wanted more revenue, they would charge a PSL new stadium or not.  So this extra revenue would never otherwise be "in the owner's pocket".

PSLs are the way an owner says to fans "you pay for it".  Pretending otherwise is being disingenuous.

The only thing I disagree with you on is that it is the Pegula's money once fans make the choice to pay it.   If no one buys the PSL's, what happens?   The Pegula's are stuck with it, that wont happen of course because there is demand for their product.  They are supplying something that is demanded by the market and basic economics says the demand will consume the supply.  You could take a second job for the sole purpose of paying for your PSL....same reasoning, the sole purpose of the second job is to fund extra thing you want to have.  It is nice to be a billionaire and be able to make decisions like that without doing all that much but it really is the same thing.  We are just going to have to agree to disagree on that.  

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The only thing I disagree with you on is that it is the Pegula's money once fans make the choice to pay it.   If no one buys the PSL's, what happens?   The Pegula's are stuck with it, that wont happen of course because there is demand for their product.  They are supplying something that is demanded by the market and basic economics says the demand will consume the supply.  You could take a second job for the sole purpose of paying for your PSL....same reasoning, the sole purpose of the second job is to fund extra thing you want to have.  It is nice to be a billionaire and be able to make decisions like that without doing all that much but it really is the same thing.  We are just going to have to agree to disagree on that.  

PSE demanded the new stadium.  Fans just buy tickets.  There is no demand for PSLs...except by PSE.

If there was no stadium, there would have been no PSLs.  PSLs are not necessary to fund this stadium.  PSE could simply charge fans for tickets, and not also for their (Bills) new stadium. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, nucci said:

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

and he was right. It will be disastrous here

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

It will work as long as the Bills can put a winning product on the field that can compete for a Super Bowl. But if that changes then look to the 1970's, 1984, 1985 levels of attendance. Pressure is on Terry, and it will really be on Beane and McDermott to keep them a winning team.

FYI, for those of you that are unaware. They CURRENTLY do charge for PSLs in some seats in Highmark now. It’s worded differently but they do have it already. It’s been going on a while now. This doesn’t mean I’m arguing for or against any of your points. Simply stating they currently have PSLs now in the clubs. People do/did/will pay them. 

My argument is I think this is all fine considering the state of the franchise, the cost of PSLs, and ticket prices. Like @Greggsaid, the pressure will be on to continue to field a winning team. We shall see how that plays out over time. Hopefully not for a long while and likely until after Allen is gone/retired. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

On the other hand, PSL's are like a user fee. Those attending games share in the cost of construction.

I generally agree. However the issue with that is this:

after the stadium is completely built. After all the season tickets have been sold. After the state/county, and Pegula have recouped all their debt they payed to build this stadium. Will the Bills continue to charge PSL fees for new season ticket members down the line? If the answer is yes, then it’s not just for the cost of construction. Now it is a money grab by the already rich billionaire owner. 

and that’s fine. I’m ok with it. Again, he’s a smart and shrewd businessman for a reason. But let’s not make the excuse that it’s just for the construction costs. Because eventually this thing will be paid off and incoming PSLs will just be for putting gas in the yacht. 

35 minutes ago, mrags said:

after the stadium is completely built. After all the season tickets have been sold. After the state/county, and Pegula have recouped all their debt they payed to build this stadium. Will the Bills continue to charge PSL fees for new season ticket members down the line? If the answer is yes, then it’s not just for the cost of construction. Now it is a money grab by the already rich billionaire owner. 

and that’s fine. I’m ok with it. Again, he’s a smart and shrewd businessman for a reason. But let’s not make the excuse that it’s just for the construction costs. Because eventually this thing will be paid off and incoming PSLs will just be for putting gas in the yacht. 

Why is it that some on here keep going around and around on this? Every time you buy something at Home Depot, Target, McDonalds, or on Amazon you’re putting ‘gas in the yachts’. I’m not sure why people think the Buffalo Bills are a community center. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why is it that some on here keep going around and around on this? Every time you buy something at Home Depot, Target, McDonalds, or on Amazon you’re putting ‘gas in the yachts’. I’m not sure why people think the Buffalo Bills are a community center. 

Purchasing items at those places is much different than paying $5K for the right to purchase a football ticket. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I never said they were. I was simply arguing the point that the PSLs are specifically for construction costs is not true. If it was true, once the debts from building the stadium have been met, the PSLs would no longer be needed. 

Home Depot & Target aren't getting $1 billion in taxpayer subsidies for a new building though

Argue Wife Swap GIF by Paramount Network

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Home Depot & Target aren't getting $1 billion in taxpayer subsidies for a new building though

Maybe they are, and maybe they aren’t. These large companies get all sorts of subsidies to locate their stores and warehouses in communities all over America. For example, Car dealerships get tons of them, because the local auto center brings in $ millions each year in sales tax revenue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The ticket is the user fee.  The fans aren't "using" the new stadium.  Its sole tenant is. 

Only one class of ticket buyers are being asked to share in the cost of the construction. 

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Maybe they are, and maybe they aren’t. These large companies get all sorts of subsidies to locate their stores and warehouses in communities all over America. For example, Car dealerships get tons of them, because the local auto center brings in $ millions each year in sales tax revenue. 

true but I'm not writing a personal check for $2K to the dealership for the right to buy a car.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Same topic but the argument geared towards those that would say building downtown wouldn’t benefit the area surrounding it. And I’m not saying you believe this SoCal. Just pointing out that this argument goes against those that believe building the stadium downtown would accomplish nothing for the area.

yes, yes, I know. It’s a done deal. Nothing is going to change. I’m aware. 

I’ll hop off my soapbox now 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Yes and no. 

Let's assume the new stadium has 55,000 season tickets set aside, but only 53,000 sell. If someone buys a seat years later that wasn't part of an initial PSL, then yes, the Bills would charge one.

Now say you decide to give up your season tickets a few years from now. In order to buy your seats, a new buyer would have to pay you for your PSL. So yes, they will pay for a PSL but YOU get the money, not the Bills. If I understand the terms correctly.

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There is a demand for tickets, not the PSL. that should be pretty obvious. 

STHers won't be given a choice to get seasons without PSL. 

But in business demand does not mean someone really wants to pay for it....it means someone is willing to pay for it.

yes but it never works out that way. The PSLs become worthless as an "investment" because of the secondary marketplace

If someone down the road wants to buy your season ticket, they have to buy your PSL, don't they?

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes and no. 

Let's assume the new stadium has 55,000 season tickets set aside, but only 53,000 sell. If someone buys a seat years later that wasn't part of an initial PSL, then yes, the Bills would charge one.

Now say you decide to give up your season tickets a few years from now. In order to buy your seats, a new buyer would have to pay you for your PSL. So yes, they will pay for a PSL but YOU get the money, not the Bills. If I understand the terms correctly.

We don’t know that yet for sure. If I just cancel my seats, the Bills would definitely benefit from charging double the PSL fees. And again, I’m ok with the business aspect of it. Just not ok with people claiming this is only for stadium construction costs. 

2 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

But they won't. What is the incentive for them?

They can keep the same seat. That is it. And realistically that incentive is not worth $5,000.

If they want to go to every game, they will buy tickets to 8 home games on any of the secondary marketplaces and save $5,000 (and probably get better seats in Nov & Dec). 

This I disagree with. First. If someone is looking for an investment opportunity they will gladly spend the money because they know they will make it back. 

You can absolutely sell your tickets in the secondary market and make back more than what you paid for them. I friend of mine last year sold all but 3 games and not only paid for his entire season, he banked some money for this seasons tix as well as out some away for what he expects to be more increases in tix prices and PSL fees in the future. 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If someone down the road wants to buy your season ticket, they have to buy your PSL, don't they?

Let’s hope that is an option. But again, that will depends on the market. Just like buying a house at the right time when prices are down as well as interest rates. A buyers market creates a sellers market and vice/Versa. It only works if the team is competitive and promising. If they are 7-10 then I would imagine it’s not going to benefit you much. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.