Two Bills Drive being correct on the Draft: Who did we get right?

Mikie2times

On 4/6/2023 at 12:43 AM, Doc Brown said:

The Maybin and the Manuel pick were the only two where I swore at the tv.  I couldn't believe Orakpo was available although I thought he'd be better than he actually turned out to be.  Still better than the undersized one year wonder from Penn State though who apparently is more passionate in drawing things.

The Manuel pick in particular really depressed me.  I had seen enough of him to know he didn't stand a chance at being a productive NFL starting quarterback.  

But to be fair, I had a somewhat similar reaction to the drafting of Josh Allen.  I bought the analytics arguments hook, line and sinker.  I held out some hope for Josh though since I hadn't really seen him play in college.

On 4/5/2023 at 9:53 PM, harmonkillebrew said:

This is always one of my favorite topics. I think more than half the time the board consensus would have been better than the GM and personnel experts, despite half the available information. I always think that level of hubris needs to be factored in to BPA and other discussions.

Recent examples:

- Creed Humphrey over Boogie Basham

- Breece Hall over Kaiir Elam

There are so many examples from earlier that left everyone scratching their head

Creed Humphrey over Boogie Basham and the board clamoring for DK Metcalf definitely come to mind for me.  

Far too early to say Breece Hall over Kaiir Elam is a valid stance. 

On 4/6/2023 at 12:58 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

How about letting DK Metcalf pass by numerous times

His broken neck scared most teams away. 

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

The Manuel pick in particular really depressed me.  I had seen enough of him to know he didn't stand a chance at being a productive NFL starting quarterback.  

But to be fair, I had a somewhat similar reaction to the drafting of Josh Allen.  I bought the analytics arguments hook, line and sinker.  I held out some hope for Josh though since I hadn't really seen him play in college.

The Leodis pick was pretty bad. 

On 4/5/2023 at 8:48 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Dude didn't even like football. He can go paint Rex Ryan's toes for all I care. He's been unlikable in any avenue I've seen him in. 

Gives off major ranch vibes too, but even that's too much credit. Dips his wings in tartar sauce, and huffs the violently fiberous farts. Dork

Hilarious take! Congrats. 
Now I’ll ruin it all by commenting: true. Maybin really didn’t like playing football. When I was a kid I imagined everyone out there fit the cliche: “I still can’t believe they’re paying me millions for playing a kid’s game I would play for free.” But no. Some guys are pure mercenaries out there. Part of all this draft stuff (the interviews, background checks, etc) is just figuring out who really fits the cliche and who is Aaron Maybin 2.0. 
Good for Maybin if he invested wisely and just walked away. Bad for the Bills, but good for Maybin. 

30 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hilarious take! Congrats. 
Now I’ll ruin it all by commenting: true. Maybin really didn’t like playing football. When I was a kid I imagined everyone out there fit the cliche: “I still can’t believe they’re paying me millions for playing a kid’s game I would play for free.” But no. Some guys are pure mercenaries out there. Part of all this draft stuff (the interviews, background checks, etc) is just figuring out who really fits the cliche and who is Aaron Maybin 2.0. 
Good for Maybin if he invested wisely and just walked away. Bad for the Bills, but good for Maybin. 

I get it. Its hard work, pushing through when your bodies screaming "no". Time away from family, unfamiliar town.

High pressure from teammates, coaches, family wanting to see you start and excel.

"Some are mercenaries" is probably the best way I've heard that explained actually.

When I'm being fair I ain't mad at Maybin, who likes to do things they don't like to do lol but from an emotional fan position, very dislikeable dork. The duality of man

On 4/6/2023 at 2:20 AM, Mark Vader said:

I have no recollection of this board suggesting that we take JJ Watt with the 3rd overall pick in that draft.

Sounds like pure hindsight.

100% agree. Once Miller was gone no one objected to Dareus being drafted. Honestly no one complained about Dareus until after his big deal. He was a star and earned his big extension. 

No one was advocating for Watt. 

On 4/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, HamSandwhich said:

Is it based?

No but it has a great first step!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was right about Allen and Darnold.  I had Rosen my #2. 

I dismissed Mayfield and was admittedly biased by the failure of so many Oklahoma QBs before him. I did not understand the hype but I saw Darnold up close and knew he could not handle the pro game.

Biggest miss was on Justin Herbert. I watched this guy play small in every big game Oregon played for three years. He never lived up to the hype. Even in the RoseBowl win it was him running not passing that won that game. He was terrible throwing the ball in his RoseBowl MVP performance. I thought for sure he was going to be a bust in the NFL.

Usually I give the benefit of the doubt to the guys who do it. I don't always like it but I'm not a run to here and bash kind of person. The one time I did was EJ Manuel. I am an FSU fan, he wasn't that good in college despite his statistics and knew we were no closer to a franchise QB. I actually thought his last year cost FSU a National Title. If Winston was starting I think we would have been in the BCS Title game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.