How Will McDermott Change the Defense?

Simon Says

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think McDermott dropped some breadcrumbs about that in a couple of his pressers.

Basically he said something to the effect that you can have the same playbook and plan and it will still look different with two different coaches calling it.

I don't think the fundamental scheme or the playbook will change, but I think way its implemented will look more different than some think.  When you hire a guy, you can't micromanage him, and in general over the course of a season, McD was getting satisfactory results from Frazier's D so had no reason to micromange.

I don't think the D was being called exactly how McDermott would have called it in various in-game situations, especially the first or second time we've faced an opponent or when the same opponent throws something we weren't expecting at us. 

I also feel that Frazier was philosophically slower to make in-game adjustments than McDermott is.

The in-game adjustments,or lack thereof, were disappointing at times. And I'm sure Sean spoke with Frazier at halftime if there was something he didn't like. 

Edited by Herb Nightly

It is my hope that Sean shows us that he can make adjustments to the D when opponents show they can beat it, I don’t care what he changes as long as it works, especially in the post season,

GO BILLS!!!

29 minutes ago, mrags said:

He was defiantly pressured. They likely gave him the option to resign with dignity by “taking a year off” so they wouldn’t have to be the bad guys for firing him. McD has too much respect for Frazier to do that to him. 

I just hope I’m wrong and McD gets something out of this defense that Frazier failed to do. 

Nice guys fade into the sunset. Being away from the NFL for a season will severely limit Frazier's  opportunities. 

3 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

With Frazier semi-retired and McD calling the defense...how much different will it look?

Less Nickel? Taron Johnson playing some safety?

Rapp playing a big nickel, in a  three-safety lineup?

4-3 scheme,with a more traditional "middle" linebacker ? I suppose the draft will shed some light. 

aggression. i think we get out of the nickel more and flip to 4-3/Dime with more situational awareness. I think we have to find more unique ways of sending pressure and I trust McD can do that more than Frazier can.   You can also disguise your defense more too. 

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Expect to be disappointed if you expect any change. Anyone that thinks Frazier wasn’t running the D exactly how McClappy wanted it ran is in for a shocker this year. 

really hope I’m wrong. But we’ll find out I guess. 

What do you think was the "final straw" that pushed Frazier out?

2 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

What do you think was the "final straw" that pushed Frazier out?

The 2nd half of the season went pretty bad for him. Von was hurt and it affected our defense sure but at the same time was a flashing light to McDermott and the rest of the FO that maybe Frazier isn’t the reason why our defense was good in the first place. it was some of the talent we had at multiple positions. I’m not saying Frazier was holding us back necessarily. But maybe the FO and McD realized they can get by without him. 

Personally I think he’s alright but much to similar if how I feel about McD. Way too conservative. Hope I’m wrong about it and I see a defense set the world in fire this coming year. 

7 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I'm wondering what defensive clues we get from the draft. Jack Campbell LOOKS like Edmunds and seems to have strong leadership traits, recognition skills, making defensive calls,etc. If Bills pick him,I would expect the  alignment  to remain similar to what we have seen. But if they select Sanders,or Nolan Smith,or possibly even Simpson? That might signal a change?

This is one of the only defensive players I’d be okay w/ in the 1st round. I think he plays much more aggressive than Edmunds + the name Jack Campbell is a cool name for a Linebacker. 

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

aggression. i think we get out of the nickel more and flip to 4-3/Dime with more situational awareness. I think we have to find more unique ways of sending pressure and I trust McD can do that more than Frazier can.   You can also disguise your defense more too. 

I could be wrong, but I think in Carolina the variations in McD's defense were more based upon how he used the personnel on the field, vs. switching up the personnel on the field.  He did switch things up more his first year in Buffalo, but a lot of that was he didn't have the bodies he wanted - Preston Brown and Ramon Humber etc

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

This lol

Are people really convincing themselves that McDermott somehow allowed Frazier to mismanage his defense for the last 5 years😂😂

So what is your theory on why Frazier is on leave  for all we know ,at full pay? Because of how good a job he did ?

25 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong, but I think in Carolina the variations in McD's defense were more based upon how he used the personnel on the field, vs. switching up the personnel on the field.  He did switch things up more his first year in Buffalo, but a lot of that was he didn't have the bodies he wanted - Preston Brown and Ramon Humber etc

I think where McD will improve this defense (or hope he improves) is solid play by play situational awareness and aggressiveness where/when needed. for example,, how many times did we complain that we did not blitz enough against rookie QB's over the last 3 years... I think McD will do better in these areas.

Here's for hoping. Cheers

Now I'm just thinking here. What if this was always McD's defense?  We've always said it was right?  I'm not expecting a whole lot different. Do we know for sure it was Frazier's idea to give 10 yard cushions?  Maybe it was McD. Well never know. I have to wonder a little bit if Fraziers decision to "take a year off" wasn't based in wanting to get out from under the scrutiny he was receiving when he may have just been doing what he was told. Idk. 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

I remember the one time McDermott took the play calling during half-time and it showed a different team...I hope we get the same....The main issue is that this team is dependent on generating pass rush by its front-four -  Groot, Basham, Epenesa and Oliver.   This group has been vastly underwhelming. 

There will also be a guy named Miller back on the front four this year, FWIW. 

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

McDermott, of course, will use the same basic scheme.  I don't really expect to see a lot less nickel alignment. The only change I realo expect is a somewhat higher number of blitzes.  I don't think McDermott is anything close to "blitz happy," but I think he is just a little more aggressive than Frazier.  Of course, I think he wants his front four to be a   lot more effective rushing the pastor than they were after Von Miller went down last season.  I think he knows it's not healthy to be in a position where you're so dependent on a single player like Miller.

Mighty unchristian of a team to "rush the pastor" LOL

42 minutes ago, flmike said:

Mighty unchristian of a team to "rush the pastor" LOL

I had to reread it to realize what you were talking about.  As it happens, I am a retired pastor.  I guess I'm just used to writing the word "pastor" after 40 years.  LOL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.