How Will McDermott Change the Defense?

Simon Says

With Frazier semi-retired and McD calling the defense...how much different will it look?

Less Nickel? Taron Johnson playing some safety?

Rapp playing a big nickel, in a  three-safety lineup?

4-3 scheme,with a more traditional "middle" linebacker ? I suppose the draft will shed some light. 

We'll see.  I just hope it's more aggressive.  Even if it results in a worse statistical outcome.  We've had a top ranked D for several years now that couldn't stop anyone when it counted most.  I'll gladly give up more points in the regular season if we see more big/game changing plays from the D.  Mostly I never want to see a soft zone again as long as I live

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

We'll see.  I just hope it's more aggressive.  Even if it results in a worse statistical outcome.  We've had a top ranked D for several years now that couldn't stop anyone when it counted most.  I'll gladly give up more points in the regular season if we see more big/game changing plays from the D.  Mostly I never want to see a soft zone again as long as I live

"Aggressive " is the consensus I've seen so far. I don't remember if he used many exotic looks in Carolina.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

I expect to see more effort in generating pressure and getting to the QB. Also maybe playing more press coverage against opposing teams top receivers instead of the 10 yards of cushion they usually get.

Ah, the old let them wear themselves out getting first downs, then we'll have them!  defense

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

With Frazier semi-retired and McD calling the defense...how much different will it look?

Less Nickel? Taron Johnson playing some safety?

Rapp playing a big nickel, in a  three-safety lineup?

4-3 scheme,with a more traditional "middle" linebacker ? I suppose the draft will shed some light.

There was a bunch of discussion on this in another thread when the move was announced.

One of the best pieces on this was done by Cover1, looking back carefully at the defenses McDermott ran in Carolina.

I don't know if you're going to see any changes in personnel, but the consensus thinking is that McDermott uses his personnel in a much more aggressive way, for example press man coverage and double A gap blitzes by the linebackers, more switching around on DL (having the DE play inside and blitz the A gaps for example) - always trying to figure out the protection rules a team uses and use those rules against them.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember the one time McDermott took the play calling during half-time and it showed a different team...I hope we get the same....The main issue is that this team is dependent on generating pass rush by its front-four -  Groot, Basham, Epenesa and Oliver.   This group has been vastly underwhelming. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There was a bunch of discussion on this in another thread when the move was announced.

One of the best pieces on this was done by Cover1, looking back carefully at the defenses McDermott ran in Carolina.

I don't know if you're going to see any changes in personnel, but the consensus thinking is that McDermott uses his personnel in a much more aggressive way, for example press man coverage and double A gap blitzes by the linebackers, more switching around on DL (having the DE play inside and blitz the A gaps for example) - always trying to figure out the protection rules a team uses and use those rules against them.

Yes,thanks I saw this.  The most in depth analysis I have seen. Not so much a "schematic" change but more about "style, attitude,violence,and aggression". Hopefully optimizing defensive personnel. 

11 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I remember the one time McDermott took the play calling during half-time and it showed a different team...I hope we get the same....The main issue is that this team is dependent on generating pass rush by its front-four -  Groot, Basham, Epenesa and Oliver.   This group has been vastly underwhelming. 

Do you expect more blitzing,especially if Miller is out?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm wondering what defensive clues we get from the draft. Jack Campbell LOOKS like Edmunds and seems to have strong leadership traits, recognition skills, making defensive calls,etc. If Bills pick him,I would expect the  alignment  to remain similar to what we have seen. But if they select Sanders,or Nolan Smith,or possibly even Simpson? That might signal a change?

The Bills are always ranked very high on defense. What they do in the regular season "works" because you're not playing top offenses every week while putting out (even with their struggles) a top offense. You don't "give" them anything, and make them work for everything. It kind of works for the regular season racking up wins.

When you play Mahomes and Burrow in the playoffs, they carve you up taking what you give them.

You can't totally stop those guys. But you do need to get a stop sometimes. That's the biggest failing IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

35 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I'm surprised he still has a job. McDermott should've been fired after blowing that lead in KC, then you bring him back only to puss out in the snow at home.

It is sad our favorite team is not really interested in winning titles

I sure hope there's no limit to the number of posters we can ignore on this site.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

Just now, jkeerie said:

I sure hope there's no limit to the number of posters we can ignore on this site.

HAHA!  In his defense, I've heard Rex and Marrone are currently available. So we do have options...

20 minutes ago, KHAN said:

When you play Mahomes and Burrow in the playoffs, they carve you up taking what you give them.

You can't totally stop those guys. But you do need to get a stop sometimes. That's the biggest failing IMO.

Hitting a QB behind the LoS is positively unsportsmanlike!  We certainly won't have that here!

• Haha (+1) 1

Expect to be disappointed if you expect any change. Anyone that thinks Frazier wasn’t running the D exactly how McClappy wanted it ran is in for a shocker this year. 

really hope I’m wrong. But we’ll find out I guess. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

48 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Maybe we’ll see a defense specifically tailored to stop the opposing offense, rather than a “this is what we do” nickel cover 2 scheme employed against everyone.

I mean, I think that a cover 3 zone is still going to pretty well be base for us, but hopefully a few more wrinkles in it 

• Disagree 1

Just now, dpberr said:

Plenty more Jim-Johnson style zone blitzes from all directions.  

I expect less of the "we'll predictably only rush four to generate pressure" nonsense.

This is the disappointment I’ve been talking about. Lol

McDermott, of course, will use the same basic scheme.  I don't really expect to see a lot less nickel alignment. The only change I realo expect is a somewhat higher number of blitzes.  I don't think McDermott is anything close to "blitz happy," but I think he is just a little more aggressive than Frazier.  Of course, I think he wants his front four to be a   lot more effective rushing the pastor than they were after Von Miller went down last season.  I think he knows it's not healthy to be in a position where you're so dependent on a single player like Miller.

All I know is if our Defense doesn't improve in consistency/decision making,  with McD at the helm, then there is going to be a lot of hot takes calling McD out.

I hope his tendacies of being aggressive  are what this team needs on D. I'm very happy to move on from Frazier

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Expect to be disappointed if you expect any change. Anyone that thinks Frazier wasn’t running the D exactly how McClappy wanted it ran is in for a shocker this year. 

This lol

Are people really convincing themselves that McDermott somehow allowed Frazier to mismanage his defense for the last 5 years😂😂

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Maybe we’ll see a defense specifically tailored to stop the opposing offense, rather than a “this is what we do” nickel cover 2 scheme employed against everyone.

They should scheme defensively in a different manner every week.  Every team has different strengths & weaknesses.  You don’t just stubbornly say we're running out the same tampa2 zone every week.  Just a stupid strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This lol

Are people really convincing themselves that McDermott somehow allowed Frazier to mismanage his defense for the last 5 years😂😂

Exactly.

And…. To think that even if he allowed Frazier to mismanage his own defense, he didn’t fire Frazier after the 13 second debacle. If that’s the case, then it makes the case for firing McD even greater. Thy he allowed his own DC to screw up as bad as he did and didn’t clean it up when he had all the reason in the world to do it. Yet he didn’t. Why?!? Because Frazier did exactly what McD wanted him to do. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Exactly.

And…. To think that even if he allowed Frazier to mismanage his own defense, he didn’t fire Frazier after the 13 second debacle. If that’s the case, then it makes the case for firing McD even greater. Thy he allowed his own DC to screw up as bad as he did and didn’t clean it up when he had all the reason in the world to do it. Yet he didn’t. Why?!? Because Frazier did exactly what McD wanted him to do. 

And if he wasn't doing exactly what McDermott wanted him to it's arguably worse since he let it drag on for 5 seasons.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And if he wasn't doing exactly what McDermott wanted him to it's arguably worse since he let it drag on for 5 seasons.

So…. You and I are on the same page. McD is a disappointment overall. 

I give him credit for getting us this far. Just don’t think he can get us to the top of that mountain. I hope I’m wrong. And of course anything can happen. Even a broke watch is right twice a day. 

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

I guess that is a bit of a concern for me

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

There will be more clapping.  Lots more.  

And maybe a post game statement to the effect of, "sure, we'd like to shut out every team in the league, but it doesn't happen that way."

Lol. Right. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

So…. You and I are on the same page. McD is a disappointment overall. 

I give him credit for getting us this far. Just don’t think he can get us to the top of that mountain. I hope I’m wrong. And of course anything can happen. Even a broke watch is right twice a day. 

My thesis a while back McDermott was emotionally stuck in rebuild mode and I think the mentality of the team reflects that

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

My thesis a while back McDermott was emotionally stuck in rebuild mode and I think the mentality of the team reflects that

Right. At some point we need to go from being the hunter/underdog to being the hunted with a target on our backs. Yet we gave the Bengals all the locker room material in the world coming into the Div champ game and we blew that big time. Flattest we have seen the team play in years. 

36 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think McDermott dropped some breadcrumbs about that in a couple of his pressers.

Basically he said something to the effect that you can have the same playbook and plan and it will still look different with two different coaches calling it.

I don't think the fundamental scheme or the playbook will change, but I think way its implemented will look more different than some think.  When you hire a guy, you can't micromanage him, and in general over the course of a season, McD was getting satisfactory results from Frazier's D so had no reason to micromange.

I don't think the D was being called exactly how McDermott would have called it in various in-game situations, especially the first or second time we've faced an opponent or when the same opponent throws something we weren't expecting at us. 

I also feel that Frazier was philosophically slower to make in-game adjustments than McDermott is.

30 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

There will be more clapping.  Lots more.  

And maybe a post game statement to the effect of, "sure, we'd like to shut out every team in the league, but it doesn't happen that way."

I'm holding out for "It's hard to win in the NFL"

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think McDermott dropped some breadcrumbs about that in a couple of his pressers.

Basically he said something to the effect that you can have the same playbook and plan and it will still look different with two different coaches calling it.

I don't think the fundamental scheme or the playbook will change, but I think way its implemented will look more different than some think.  When you hire a guy, you can't micromanage him, and in general over the course of a season, McD was getting satisfactory results from Frazier's D so had no reason to micromange.

I don't think the D was being called exactly how McDermott would have called it in various in-game situations, especially the first or second time we've faced an opponent or when the same opponent throws something we weren't expecting at us. 

I also feel that Frazier was philosophically slower to make in-game adjustments than McDermott is.

Well. For the success of the team I really hope you are right. But some of us are preparing to be disappointed yet again. Hopefully McClappy surprises me. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Exactly.

Can anyone explain Frazier’s one-year 'sabbatical"?  I believe he was pressured and likely getting his full salary. Does it sound like McDermott was 100% satisfied with the defense during the playoffs?

9 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Can anyone explain Frazier’s one-year 'sabbatical"?  I believe he was pressured and likely getting his full salary. Does it sound like McDermott was 100% satisfied with the defense during the playoffs?

He was defiantly pressured. They likely gave him the option to resign with dignity by “taking a year off” so they wouldn’t have to be the bad guys for firing him. McD has too much respect for Frazier to do that to him. 

I just hope I’m wrong and McD gets something out of this defense that Frazier failed to do. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.