Anyone have the MLB package?

Another Fan

I cut the chord with cable lately for a number of reasons.  The only down side to that is missing Mets games if I feel like watching some of them at night.  I seem to check the scores more than anything though.  

At $150/year do you find it worth it if you do?  Sometimes I’ll feel like watching an out of network game 

ty 

Edited by Another Fan

MLB package sucks for one reason, the blackouts.  If you are in Buffalo you are blacked out for Yankee, Mets, Guardians, Blue Jays, and Pirates games.  It's ridiculous.  I would never buy it unless I knew what my blackout situation was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes to the blackouts listed above.  Its a drag.  I do think we get to watch Blue Jays though.

I have had the MLB package for like the last 7 seasons.  For the price, you get a ton of content, even with the blackouts.  Its great to have a day game on my phone at my desk while I work.

I don't know if the Mets are carried locally for Spectrum, Comcast, or whatever, but if you have a friend/relative who subscribes...  borrow their password to watch the Mets on whatever app their cable partner is on.  That is what I do for the Sabres/MSG Go.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I cut the chord with cable lately for a number of reasons.  The only down side to that is missing Mets games if I feel like watching some of them at night.  I seem to check the scores more than anything though.  

At $150/year do you find it worth it if you do?  Sometimes I’ll feel like watching an out of network game 

ty 

I just cut the cable cord a couple weeks ago.  I went with FuboTV ($89/month) partly because SNY is one of the channels on their list.

• Like (+1) 1

Sports are the reason I keep cable, the MLB blackout rules are a joke for WNY fans.

I enjoy 10:00 p.m. late games and afternoon soirées, particularly on drab days.

So, yes for me, I enjoy watching baseball, and the NBA, they’re worth the $150 per.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

For the past 5 or 6 years, I have had MLB.  If you are not in a zone that gets blacked out for broadcast, I think it is a good deal.  However, I sign up around Father's day.  Usually, they have roughly a 50% off deal then.  Sometimes they have a deal at Mother's day, at a little bit more than 50%.  Keep visiting the MLB site for deals.  I used to post when the deal was active, but I wouldn't count on me.

This is the first year I am paying full price.  Not because I want to but I forgot to cancel it after last year. 

I'm a Dodger fan, so this is a good way to follow them.  It is a bit brutal on sleep though.

The service has changed over the years.  They have a lot more content now, like interviews and highlights.  You can also watch a full or condensed game later.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/30/2023 at 4:51 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

No because baseball is boring.  Yeah I said it.

They called to invite my son to play All Stars after the rec league season ended (he also played up a year in AAU). I told them I’d ask him. My son replied “Do I have to? Half the guys are standing around, and the other half are sitting.” From the mouths of babes…..  

He went on to play sports where people actually moved and things happened. 

On 3/30/2023 at 12:59 PM, Mark80 said:

MLB package sucks for one reason, the blackouts.  If you are in Buffalo you are blacked out for Yankee, Mets, Guardians, Blue Jays, and Pirates games.  It's ridiculous.  I would never buy it unless I knew what my blackout situation was.

Someone needs to explain to me the purpose of blackouts in the 21st first century. They can’t seriously think they incentivize people to separately buy local broadcasting network access? It seems pointless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I’ve been listening to a bunch of the Red Sox games on my stereo radio for the past 5-6 years. It’s kinda nice to experience it like that / how most people used to / nostalgically.

Pretty ridiculous about all the blackout stuff, especially when it was the COVID times. They just refuse to accept that many sports have become better on TV. Go to the stadium and you’re looking at a small screen or the Jumbotron to be able to see anything from a lot of seats. They can’t offer a team’s full slate? Our regional network NESN has started an online streaming option for cord cutters (I’ve been OTA antenna-only for 20+ years now), but it’s a ridiculous price $50 per month iirc. For one channel. That’s not what a la carte pricing was ever dreamed as by anyone other than a greedy network. So screw that.

Other than the odd game on FOX or ESPN+ (which are often blacked out, even if it’s a sold out game vs the NYY), if I do want to actually watch, I’ll visit a Reddit page. 

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Direct TV gave it to me for free (bribe to stay) so I have it this year. i get to see a lot of Orioles games but like others have noted i'm blacked out when they play the yanks so I'm still stuck with Michael Kay

Hopefully, you didn't see yesterday's O's game...:death:

19 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Someone needs to explain to me the purpose of blackouts in the 21st first century. They can’t seriously think they incentivize people to separately buy local broadcasting network access? It seems pointless. 

This is MLB's misguided way of protecting the cable and satellite companies who carry the RSN.  In the DC area, MASN, still stuck in the 20th century, is not available on any streamer.  NBC Sports Washington is on YouTubeTV, so there's an avenue there, but MASN is most likely looking for an astronomical sum, which, to their credit, YTTV won't pay.  

I switched to YTTV shortly after the NFL season ended, and a few weeks after, they dropped MLB Network.  I'm none too happy with YTTV now, but it's the best of the crappy streamers out there.  The streamers, several years ago, were a viable alternative to cord cutting, but now they're just another provider, dropping channels and raising prices just like the cable behemoths.  

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Sadly I did and I'm still pissed. How the hell do you drop that f-ing ball!

Same...a little leaguer makes that play.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ned Flanders said:

It only works if you subscribe to a cable or satellite system that carries MASN…they don’t make it available directly to the consumer, ala YES and NESN. 

I think they bang ya for 30 bucks a month, thats steep. Well ya didn't miss anything today, more bad defense and pitching

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.