Carjacking attempt failure due to a manual transmission

\GoBillsInDallas/

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If I could drive a manual transmission and had the skills to steal a luxury sports car....I would do it but I can't and don't.  

my mom made fun of me for not being able to drive a manual.  we never had a car that wasn't automatic, so i just never learned.  i bought a roadster years ago and figured that would be my entry point, but they couldn't find a manual in the style i wanted.  i had no choice but to get the automatic with the paddle shifters, (which are useless).

5 minutes ago, teef said:

my mom made fun of me for not being able to drive a manual.  we never had a car that wasn't automatic, so i just never learned.  i bought a roadster years ago and figured that would be my entry point, but they couldn't find a manual in the style i wanted.  i had no choice but to get the automatic with the paddle shifters, (which are useless).

I've only had automatics as well.  I figured it out in about 30 minutes when my friend took me to a parking lot....but never got on the road.  That was the last time and it  was 20 years ago.  No one I know drives a manual because traffic is so bad in Atlanta and it's a bword constantly shifting. 

11 minutes ago, teef said:

The very first car I bought only came equipped with a manual transmission. I was fretting about buying a car I couldn't actually drive until my mother told me that she learned to drive with a stick. My father had to drive the car off the lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

As a manual driver, I feel safer now.

What is funny about the video is that the idiot not only couldn't operate the car with enough proficiency to get away, he clearly didn't even begin to understand how one MIGHT operate the car.  

If he had any clue at all, he would have played with the clutch and accelerator and probably lurched forward and stalled it...then maybe tried again, then abandoned the vehicle.

The idiot was just throwing the stick around the shift gate and wondering why the car didn't drive away on its own.

LOL

I'd love to throw these kids in jail for 10 years to think about it.

• Agree 1

I learned on an automatic but once had a summer job with the city parks department where I drove a pickup truck. The only truck they had available for me was a manual, so one of the guys on the regular crew took me out for a lesson. An hour later, I passed my "final exam" - starting from a dead stop at the top of a steep hill. It was weird driving to work in an automatic, driving a stick all day, and then going back home in the automatic.

I didn't drive another manual for more than 15 years until I went looking for a car and took a Saturn SL1 out for a test drive. To my own surprise, I didn't stall it even once. I didn't buy it, but not because of the transmission.

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've only had automatics as well.  I figured it out in about 30 minutes when my friend took me to a parking lot....but never got on the road.  That was the last time and it  was 20 years ago.  No one I know drives a manual because traffic is so bad in Atlanta and it's a bword constantly shifting. 

i bothered a friend to do the same thing, and we just never got to it, but with the snow stop and go, i can't see myself getting a manual anytime soon.

47 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

The very first car I bought only came equipped with a manual transmission. I was fretting about buying a car I couldn't actually drive until my mother told me that she learned to drive with a stick. My father had to drive the car off the lot. 

that's great.  once people start driving them, they seem not to want to give them up.

16 minutes ago, teef said:

i bothered a friend to do the same thing, and we just never got to it, but with the snow stop and go, i can't see myself getting a manual anytime soon.

that's great.  once people start driving them, they seem not to want to give them up.

I'm definitely in that camp - even though I haven't driven a stick in 20+ years. My kids noticed that I still keep my right hand on the shift when I drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm pumped to get back into a manual.  Got an order in for a new manual M2 (that looks like an M3 to me in the video).  Can't wait for that baby to arrive in a few months...or a year.

And yeah, it is definitely an anti-theft device at this point.

Edited by Mark80

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Same with my daughter.  She had budgeted a set amount, and the Saturn dealer only had MTs available.  I drove it home, and shortly thereafter we drove down to a quiet road in Bay Beach that climbs the hill there.  Had a garbage can borrowed from her uncle's home, and set it behind the car to simulate another vehicle, and her having to hold the car on a hill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

As a manual driver, I feel safer now.

What is funny about the video is that the idiot not only couldn't operate the car with enough proficiency to get away, he clearly didn't even begin to understand how one MIGHT operate the car.  

If he had any clue at all, he would have played with the clutch and accelerator and probably lurched forward and stalled it...then maybe tried again, then abandoned the vehicle.

The idiot was just throwing the stick around the shift gate and wondering why the car didn't drive away on its own.

LOL

I'd love to throw these kids in jail for 10 years to think about it.

I don't think they even managed to start the damn thing.

Just now, Mark80 said:

Yeah, if you don't know to put the clutch down to start it, why would you ever try that? 

Years back while working at the gas station, the foreign built Dodge in for an oil change didn't have the clutch engagement interlock.  I had forgotten it was parked in first gear, and when I reached in to start it to check for oil leaks, it lurched forward into the cabinets at the front of the service bay.  Thank the gods for 5 mph Japanese bumpers, but the cabinets had a few new dents.  Fortunately, the owner and his son (manager) were good understanding people.  I never made that mistake again.

I taught my son... Has the, got him the 2014 Cooper S 9 years ago when the new bigger style Cooper came out...  Still going strong.  The nice thing is, nobody else could drive it when he went to school. 

6 speed with rev-matching. Really cool feature. Has hill assist. On a hill, you got 2 seconds to get from the brake to the clutch before rolling backwards.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Already posted 😂😂

Ooops! 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Many years ago, I had a manual transmission car and visited Atlanta for a convention.  The convention was downtown and my left leg got a 

great workout.  Took the shuttle the second day.

On 3/30/2023 at 11:04 AM, teef said:

I’ve never understood paddle shifters. Waste of technology. Who uses them?

as for the OP, if you are carjacking you probably are not a Mensa member. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I’ve never understood paddle shifters. Waste of technology. Who uses them?

as for the OP, if you are carjacking you probably are not a Mensa member. 

As automatics progressed, they are quicker and more efficient than manuals, especially off-roading. I think the paddle shifters just make it "clutchless"... Well at least with your left foot. So you can take the RPMs up and shift when you want to. 

Rev matching when you downshift is pretty cool. 

BUT... Manuals better when fording through water... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.