If the draft we're today...

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

There's nothing we did in FA that doesn't still warrant a RT and G in the draft. I'd still draft both 1 and 2 if the right guys fall. Josh Allen staying upright should be the focal point this off-season imo.

THEY ARE NOT DRAFTING A RIGHT TACKLE

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

THEY ARE NOT DRAFTING A RIGHT TACKLE

This thread partly summarized: Let's use our highest draft asset to fill a need.    

Economy of resources and a positional value-based approach?  Nah, too challenging.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

There's nothing we did in FA that doesn't still warrant a RT and G in the draft. I'd still draft both 1 and 2 if the right guys fall. Josh Allen staying upright should be the focal point this off-season imo.

I agree with you about what they should do

Objectively assessing Beane's MO, I think his pressers translate to "we're gonna give Brown another year"

I think making our biggest FA signing a G and bringing in a formerly good G to compete signals we're not gonna be drafting a G

I hope I'm wrong.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

I'd say this teams biggest needs as of today are (no particular order): 

True #2 WR - I know there are a lot of Gabe Davis fans out there, but to me the Bills need more than Gabe Davis.  No doubt about it, he's solid, but teams last year showed how to stop the Bills: Double Diggs, put their best #1 CB on Gabe Davis = shut us down.  It's probably wishful thinking, but send Ed Oliver and a 3rd or 4th to either Tampa or Arizona for Mike Evans or DeAndre Hopkins.  Make a splash Buffalo.  Teams in our division are.  Miami, the Jets, all are make legit strong pushes to take over the division.  Stop trying to build through the draft every year and go after a legit day 1 impact player.

MLB:  Bobby Wagner on a 1 year deal here makes so much sense.  Granted I know our CAP space is tight, but there's ways to work around this. This draft isn't loaded with great MLB's.  

Dominant DT - Right now I think we have Oliver, Settle, and Jones on the roster?  We need a stud run stuffer in the middle.  Someone 320+, not another 280lb DT like Ed.  If we could get a 3rd or 4th out of Oliver, I'd do it in a heart beat. 

Right Tackle - Someone has to come in and compete with Spencer Brown.  He has ranked near the bottom in his two years in the NFL.  I know Beane gave him some praise at the end of year presser, but you can't tell me they're satisfied with what he's shown.  He and Saffold were hands down the two worse players on our Oline last year.  

Backup QB - I think the Bills are going to try and draft a late round QB to compete with Barkley for the backup spot.  A backup QB would cost a lot less than signing a veteran and we've seen in the league the last couple years several late round QB's become decent quality QB's.

So this would mean WR, MLB, DT, and RT are all our biggest needs.  Looking at PFF's Big Board

WR: 5 ranked inside the top 30/ 2 inside the top 11

DT: 3 inside the top 30/ 2 inside the top 13

RT: 4 inside the top 30/ 2 inside top 20

MLB: 0 inside the top 30/ 4 from 37 to 66

Obviously their rankings don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things and most NFL teams could look a lot different, but just for reference it does show which positions are strong in the early rounds.  

Unless the Bills do the unthinkable and send a pick for a Mike Evans or DeAndre Hopkins, I'd say the likeliest choice at 27 will be WR or RT.  Flowers, Addison, Downs, or Harrison, Jones (Georgia), or Jones (OSU).  

Whoever it is needs to be a day 1 impact starter. 

So your solution on what to do if the draft were today, is to trade (what?  a draft pick?  a player? who?) for an aging and recently-injured former great with a high salary like Hopkins or Evans, then spend more cap $$ on a 1 year rental of Bobby Wagner, who has fallen off in coverage the last year or so?

Then use the late round picks we have left after trading for Hopkins to try to upgrade from Oliver, a former 1st round pick, and Spencer Brown, a 3rd round pick?

Brilliant.  Why didn't Beane think of that?

PS Kyle Allen is here as our current backup QB

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

Johnston would the only guy I’m happy with in the first round. 

He might "have" size, but he doesn't use it. He rarely plays above the rim, too many body catches, doesn't show great awareness to use his frame to box out defenders and struggles to release against press. The only time you ever actually see the benefit of his size on film is once the ball is in his hands. He is more poor man's Treylon Burks than he is a traditional X receiver. 

I see the argument for him, don't me wrong, there are some enticing physical gifts and he only just turns 22 before the season opener so there is plenty of room for growth, but he is miles from a finished product. Put it this way - if he was Jordan Addison's size he wouldn't be a lock to go in the first two days. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He might "have" size, but he doesn't use it. He rarely plays above the rim, too many body catches, doesn't show great awareness to use his frame to box out defenders and struggles to release against press. The only time you ever actually see the benefit of his size on film is once the ball is in his hands. He is more poor man's Treylon Burks than he is a traditional X receiver. 

I see the argument for him, don't me wrong, there are some enticing physical gifts and he only just turns 22 before the season opener so there is plenty of room for growth, but he is miles from a finished product. Put it this way - if he was Jordan Addison's size he wouldn't be a lock to go in the first two days. 

I understand all this. But he’s the only one worth a first rd grade imo. At least for our needs. If we needed a smaller #2 with more speed, or a slot guy. I’d be thinking differently. But we don’t. We need a big physical WR that’s a freak. He is that. He’s really the only one in the draft that even sniffs if the first round. If we can’t get him, which I’m positive he’ll go in the top 15, then I say way for Tillman in the 3rd, or Perry in the 4th, or Palmer/Ford-Weaton in the 4th+. Just my opinion here. Maybe I should post it in that thread about who everyone thinks will end up being good picks 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I understand all this. But he’s the only one worth a first rd grade imo. At least for our needs. If we needed a smaller #2 with more speed, or a slot guy. I’d be thinking differently. But we don’t. We need a big physical WR that’s a freak. He is that. He’s really the only one in the draft that even sniffs if the first round. If we can’t get him, which I’m positive he’ll go in the top 15, then I say way for Tillman in the 3rd, or Perry in the 4th, or Palmer/Ford-Weaton in the 4th+. Just my opinion here. Maybe I should post it in that thread about who everyone thinks will end up being good picks 

I'd take Addison ahead of him. I just think he is a better player. I agree the ceiling is there for Johnton, but he is a big risk. He reminds me very much of Breshad Perriman. I don't have any wide receivers in this class with 1st round grades. It is the worst receiver class probably since 2016. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd take Addison ahead of him. I just think he is a better player. I agree the ceiling is there for Johnton, but he is a big risk. He reminds me very much of Breshad Perriman. I don't have any wide receivers in this class with 1st round grades. It is the worst receiver class probably since 2016. 

Ugh. He makes me ill. 5’11” 175lb. Why don’t we just ask Roscoe Parrish to come out of retirement(yes, I know I’m over exaggerating) Way too small for my liking. 

but one thing we agree on is there isn’t really any top end talent in this draft. I like Johnston because he has upside. He’s a physical freak that has the ability to be a true stud. Nobody else in the draft has that. i was a believer in Jamison Williams last year. Wish we would have made a play for him. He was taken a little early considering the injury, but if it wasn’t for that he likely would have been a top5. He’s a little slender but also 6’1”. Oh well, we got Shakir, what are we worried about. 

13 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Bernard is not a guy that can play the middle in the McD defense.  He lacks both the speed and length to do the things that this defensive scheme requires.  If he was remotely capable of playing the position, Kline would not have been brought back last season.  If you doubt this, go back and watch Bernard's performance replacing Edmunds.  He was pathetic.  Beane and McD saw this and they will take steps to protect the most important position on the defense.

I disagree 100%. They didn’t burn a premium pick on a guy they didn’t have a plan for. 

• Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I disagree 100%. They didn’t burn a premium pick on a guy they didn’t have a plan for. 

He just disappeared last year, so it looks like a complete whiff. Beane has a number of day 2 strikeouts.

I hope you're right, in any event.

Edited by Dr. Who

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.