If the draft we're today...

17 minutes ago, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Problem with this is based on several different big boards, not many LB's ranked high.  Most have shown early 2nd rounds for the highest rated LB's.

If the player you want/need is available at 27, you take him.  You don't worry that the mock draft experts had them in the 30's and 40's.

image.png.394f3d873994b98a54998ebf433aa567.png

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, mrags said:

If they go after Flowers, Addison, or Downs I’m going to throw up 

by "go after" do you mean pick at 27, or trade up?  I'm fine at 27, would not trade up for them, because the cost is likely another pick that could be an OC, and an OT at 27.  

Just now, whorlnut said:

Wrong. They do have one. They drafted bernard last year with a day 2 pick as insurance in losing edmunds. They need to develop him and make it work. Can’t keep dumping into the d and ignoring the offense with premium picks. 

Agreed.  He's got a long ways to go though.  He's undersized for a MLB first off.  I think when he was drafted he's like 6'3 225.  He'd need to bulk up this offseason and put on a solid 15-20lbs to even be considered an every down MLB.  They also liked Baylon Spencer too and re-signed Tyrel Dodson who has seen some starting action when Edmunds was out.  Not saying any of those guys are the answer, but I'm sick of ignoring the offense to continue to try and win a SB through a defense.  

This offense needs weapons and to protect Allen.  They're working on the protection part, but we need a RT and legit #2 WR more than anything else.  Obviously stud LB too but RT, WR, and LB most important.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Wrong. They do have one. They drafted bernard last year with a day 2 pick as insurance in losing edmunds. They need to develop him and make it work. Can’t keep dumping into the d and ignoring the offense with premium picks. 

So that’s the plan? This’ll be interesting for sure. Have we seen anything that would show he’s ready to assume that role? I’m game if you are! 👍

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I honestly have no idea. I’m just amazed that anyone is ready to put all the eggs in that one basket. 

I highly doubt they are banking on Bernard, but they may be thinking between Bernard, Dodson, Spector and then a mid round pick this year they can find someone?  Who knows.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I've got a bit of a different take than the OP, but with some overlap.

I'd say this teams biggest needs as of today are (no particular order): 

True #2 WR - I totally agree that we need to draft a WR in this draft, but it can't be forced over other needs that are more immediate, and concerning.  I think that even if the board didn't "fall right" to select a WR, we would be okay.  I have a good level of confidence that Davis will rebound.  

MLB:  I think that Bobby Wagner might be asking for too much, and regardless, we would still need to draft the "heir apparent".  I think that we have very little choice but to draft MLB in the first round.  Easily the #1 need this draft.  

Dominant DT - Personally I'm looking for a depth player, with NOSE tackle capabilities.  We are lacking in that area.

Right Tackle -   I'm just going to call this Offensive Tackle.  We did spend a third rounder on RT.  He hasn't worked out all that well yet, and needs some competition.  We also need a better swing tackle option (maybe the current starter can be a very good backup....).

Backup QB - Yeah sure, but maybe Georgia's Stetson Bennett in round 6 if he's the BPA.

Here's where I differ:

Backup OC:  Morse has some injury issues, is older, and we need insurance there.  I'd draft an interior O-lineman with versatility at GUARD and CENTER, as early as the second round.

Safety:  Although Hyde and Poyer are still playing at a high level, they are geriatric in football years (will they play a full season?  Injuries are harder to overcome, and you DO start to slow down as you age).  You don't wait until these old dudes fall apart before addressing the position.  No disrespect.  I LOVE both of Hyde and Poyer, but we have to be realistic and plan for the future.  I'm drafting TWO safeties in this draft if it falls that way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So that’s the plan? This’ll be interesting for sure. Have we seen anything that would show he’s ready to assume that role? I’m game if you are! 👍

I’m “game” as well. Here’s the thing…we don’t need to have a top d to win a sb. Make the o unstoppable and keep the d around top 12-15 and it would be good enough. I’m sure they talked to bernard in his exit interview and asked him to bulk up. They spent a day 2 pick on him and it would be beyond silly to give up this early when we have huge needs on offense. 

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I honestly have no idea. I’m just amazed that anyone is ready to put all the eggs in that one basket. 

It’s an offensive league. Does one middle LB move the needle that much?  We have the best safety duo in the league coming back to pick up the pieces. 

7 minutes ago, Yantha said:

True #2 WR - I totally agree that we need to draft a WR in this draft, but it can't be forced over other needs that are more immediate, and concerning.  I think that even if the board didn't "fall right" to select a WR, we would be okay.  I have a good level of confidence that Davis will rebound.  

MLB:  I think that Bobby Wagner might be asking for too much, and regardless, we would still need to draft the "heir apparent".  I think that we have very little choice but to draft MLB in the first round.  Easily the #1 need this draft.  

Dominant DT - Personally I'm looking for a depth player, with NOSE tackle capabilities.  We are lacking in that area.

Right Tackle -   I'm just going to call this Offensive Tackle.  We did spend a third rounder on RT.  He hasn't worked out all that well yet, and needs some competition.  We also need a better swing tackle option (maybe the current starter can be a very good backup....).

Backup QB - Yeah sure, but maybe Georgia's Stetson Bennett in round 6 if he's the BPA.

Here's where I differ:

Backup OC:  Morse has some injury issues, is older, and we need insurance there.  I'd draft an interior O-lineman with versatility at GUARD and CENTER, as early as the second round.

Safety:  Although Hyde and Poyer are still playing at a high level, they are geriatric in football years (will they play a full season?  Injuries are harder to overcome, and you DO start to slow down as you age).  You don't wait until these old dudes fall apart before addressing the position.  No disrespect.  I LOVE both of Hyde and Poyer, but we have to be realistic and plan for the future.  I'm drafting TWO safeties in this draft if it falls that way.

“Very little choice”?  Come on dude. I guess we can’t find a LBer in the mid rounds like they seem to do with offensive players, huh?

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I’m “game” as well. Here’s the thing…we don’t need to have a top d to win a sb. Make the o unstoppable and keep the d around top 12-15 and it would be good enough. I’m sure they talked to bernard in his exit interview and asked him to bulk up. They spent a day 2 pick on him and it would be beyond silly to give up this early when we have huge needs on offense. 

It’s an offensive league. Does one middle LB move the needle that much?  We have the best safety duo in the league coming back to pick up the pieces. 

Thanks! I guess I’d agree with you if it was any other defensive position other than MLB. He’s literally the QB of your defense. It’s a really big gamble, and if I’m understanding you correctly you’re ready to roll those dice. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just not sure OBD is going to roll them. 

51 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

by "go after" do you mean pick at 27, or trade up?  I'm fine at 27, would not trade up for them, because the cost is likely another pick that could be an OC, and an OT at 27.  

I don’t want them period. If one of them somehow fell to the 2nd round then I guess I’d do it. But absolutely not in the 1st round. I’m not a fan of any of them for our current needs. We need a #1. Not another small WR. They don’t fit what we need imo. 

39 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Here's where I differ:

Seeing how they are really focusing on the offensive line in FA, they may very well go OT early.  They may have realized they have to protect Allen better and be able to run the ball and in doing so need to invest in their offensive line.  I would not be mad at RT, then MLB in the 2nd and then BPA from there on out.  There are some good WR's projected to go 3rd-4th rounds and some big boys in mid rounds for DT depth.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Seeing how they are really focusing on the offensive line in FA, they may very well go OT early.  They may have realized they have to protect Allen better and be able to run the ball and in doing so need to invest in their offensive line.  I would not be mad at RT, then MLB in the 2nd and then BPA from there on out.  There are some good WR's projected to go 3rd-4th rounds and some big boys in mid rounds for DT depth.  

The chiefs laid the blueprint on how to win in the modern nfl. They fixed their oline and the eagles, who had the third most sacks in the regular season in nfl history, couldn’t touch Mahomes in the sb. They didn’t go out and go heavy on d. They built around Mahomes. Offense is the way to go…not drafting to stop other teams offenses. Ask Philly how that worked. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

The chiefs laid the blueprint on how to win in the modern nfl. They fixed their oline and the eagles, who had the third most sacks in the regular season in nfl history, couldn’t touch Mahomes in the sb. They didn’t go out and go heavy on d. They built around Mahomes. Offense is the way to go…not drafting to stop other teams offenses. Ask Philly how that worked. 

Agree 10000%.  

I said the same thing on one of the Bills pages on IG.  I think they need to do everything possible to build an unstoppable offense and it starts at the offensive line.  An elite QB like Allen does nothing when he's got pressure in his face all game long or running for his life.  They need to bring in someone to compete with Brown at RT and add an elite talent at WR opposite of Diggs.  A lot of rumors swirling about Hopkins, but if they are serious about winning the SB, they'd do SOMETHING.

The other thing KC and Philly did last year was they traded draft picks for proven players.  Philly traded for AJ Brown, KC traded for Toney and both were massive reasons why they 1) made it to the SB and 2) won the SB. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I don’t want them period. If one of them somehow fell to the 2nd round then I guess I’d do it. But absolutely not in the 1st round. I’m not a fan of any of them for our current needs. We need a #1. Not another small WR. They don’t fit what we need imo. 

I’d be okay with Flowers in Round 1. I think he had No. 1 receiver potential, even at 5’10”.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.