Singletary—inarguably above average statistically: discuss

dave mcbride

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

5'7 206 with fumbling issues.   I'd be surprised if he is back.

He is a solid backup and until they upgrade the position they are risking the longterm left of Allen.  No more designed runs ,  at least not until the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So everyone else in the league is clueless?  

There are zero teams talking about bringing him in for a visit,  he is a depth player who if he does not resign with the Bills will sign some league min deal with another team and be playing special teams.

BB indicated that the team is looking for a power back, which Singletary is not. To me that leaves the following options:

1. Davis or Hunt are about all that are left in free agency

2. Trade for Henry

3. Draft a big back in the middle rounds

I suppose with the RB market drying up the way it has and DS remaining unsigned, the Bills could be interested in bringing him back at a bargain price -- but I think they would still be looking for a power back, most likely in the draft in this situation.

10 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Do you even understand anything about burst to the line?  probably not.  Why do you think Allen is running so much and taking so many hits,  with teams loading up against the pass the running game is there.  They have not had a starting level RB in years,  Singletary relies on quickness and making guys miss.  That is not going to happen against most NFL defensive players.  He is an average RB and no team will offer him a contract because of it.

Oh, and Allen is running so much and taking so many hits for several reasons, one of which is that a QB run gives you a one-man advantage, which an RB run does not. It's easier. That's surely a great deal of the reason they call lots of QB runs despite having RBs who are often successful when they run.

Not to mention that many of his runs come from scrambles that turn into runs.

And Singletary does indeed rely on quickness and making guys miss. That's why he is consistently in the top four in the NFL of forcing missed tackles.

2021 7th at missed tackles per attempt %age

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-elusive-running-backs-2021-season

2022 5th at missed tackles per attempt %age

https://www.rotoballer.com/fantasy-football-running-back-sleepers-missed-tackles-2022/995606#Missed_Tackles_Forced_Data    (see graph)

2019 2nd at missed tackles per attempt %age

"[Singletary] forced 0.25 missed tackles per attempt, second-best in the league. "

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-backfield-rankings-all-32-running-back-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

2022 6th at broken+missed tackles forced %age

https://www.fantasypros.com/2022/07/rb-broken-plus-missed-tackles-forced-percentage-analysis-2022-fantasy-football-javonte-williams-elijah-mitchell-ezekiel-elliott/

Your idea that he can't force missed tackles, that, "that is not going to happen against most NFL defensive players" is just plain wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

How about you explain our playoff game,  are you going to now say the Bengals missing 3 starters in our playoff game had a better offensive line to run the ball or just better running backs.  Joe Mixon is both big and fast (4.45 forty) and he was able to get bigs runs behind a line of 3 backups.  

No, there is no NFL team signing or interested in Singletary as a longterm commitment.  Do you hear about him visiting any teams,  if he was so great and in demand you would hear something.  

Sure maybe a team would sign him for depth purposes on some one year prove it contract but he never getting any huge guaranteed longer term deal. Maybe explain why Allen needs to run so much on designed run calls and you don't see designed runs for either Burrows or Mahomes. 

Get a starting RB and stop this nonsense with Allen, we don't need a Cam Newton situation.

Jeez, this is getting sad, dude. You want me to explain the playoff game? In a Singletary thread? Including apparently expecting me to explain how the Bills DL sucked while missing its two best players?  Yeah, sorry, not going to do all that. You'll have to figure that out yourself. Though, I'm not hopeful.

Extremely quick version: the whole Bills team sucked, they looked like they were absolutely emotionally drained from seeing Hamlin die and all the rest of the chaos this season. As for whether the blame was mostly on Singletary or the line, yeah, Singletary went 6 for 25 in that game. Which is not bad. Whereas Cook went 5 for 13. Allen was 8 for 26. But you're going to argue the Bills OL was good and Singletary was bad? Sorry again, dude, that is too obvious to require much explanation. Everyone was bad in that game. But the OL had a large large share of the blame.

You're just continuously wrong here, and not willng to admit it.

No, I didn't hear of Singletary visiting any teams. I also didn't hear Connor McGovern visit any teams, including us. It's not an opinion that you don't have a clue whether any teams are interested. It's a simple fact. Whether or not you get that.\

We've got a starting RB now in Cook. And if we bring back Singletary - not saying we will, but if we do - we'll have another, though my guess is that this year Cook will get more carries even if Singletary does come back.

Honestly, you're just throwing out arguments at this point that don't make much sense. I'm not promising to answer another, though I'll take a quick look.

I love motor, but I don't actually think the YPC is the tell all here. In 2020 he was he was nearly identical to Zack Moss, only to nearly beat him by a full yard in 2021, only to get nearly doubled by James Cook in 2022. Now I would expect Motor to have beat Moss by a considerable margin. Moss was always the short yardage guy. That just wasn't ALWAYS the case. He did outperform in YPC, but it was hit in miss given the context of when they ran the ball. Then Cook just destroyed everybody last year. Motor is very difficult in 10 yards. He is a good back. That said, I think the Motor (and the Bills) high YPC is more a result of Allen, the passing game, and our historical refusal to run the ball. If we became more run oriented as a whole I would not expect to see the YPC in this area. You see this exact statistical pattern play out consistently against pass heavy teams. It's normal for the YPC to be high. Texas Tech for example in college and the Chiefs have likely been the NFL's best example. 

Edited by KzooMike

10 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Looks like the rest of the NFL agrees with you. 

You do know that more free agents will be signed after than have been signed so far, right? 

Whether you like it or not, it's a poor argument. If he hasn't been signed in August and September, it will at that time be a very good argument. Now, though, it's just bad.

I think it’s unquestioned that most love the guy. He plays hard and fights for yardage. He looks good in spots, stretches. I like it when it’s in the game. I know he gets twice as much out of it than he should. Testament to HIM.

If he had the speed, this wouldn’t be a topic because the Bills wouldn’t be in a quandary of IF to pay him.. It would be WHAT to pay him. This is nobody’s fault. Singletary just isn’t a game changing back worth keeping instead of attempting to get more explosive on offense.

Remember that Dalvin Cook 80 yard touchdown last year that came out of nowhere and in hindsight pretty much blindsided the Bills. Bills need that, or die trying to find it. 

Feel for Singletary, Beane might be looking at this as a Good bye, but no other team is taking him, so it’s a release, and he signs for dirt cheap on another squad. Wish him the best. 

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

You do know that more free agents will be signed after than have been signed so far, right? 

Whether you like it or not, it's a poor argument. If he hasn't been signed in August and September, it will at that time be a very good argument. Now, though, it's just bad.

He should get eventually signed and most likely back with the Bills but seeing all the movements at RB it tells me he’s not highly thought of as a running back in the NFL. I posted a thread on him not being a starter next yr and it looks like I’m going to be right. 

It’s pretty simple really. If Singletary was that coveted he’d be gone already. He’s still in his prime, although definitely in the later half of his expected NFL lifespan. As to his role with the Bills, I think they’re assuming they’ll simply swap Cook and Motor in 2023 with Cook becoming the starter and Motor getting second tier reps…and maybe that’s not all bad. Devin has proven to be pretty darn consistent as the stats would show. You can do much worse! 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, and Allen is running so much and taking so many hits for several reasons, one of which is that a QB run gives you a one-man advantage, which an RB run does not. It's easier. That's surely a great deal of the reason they call lots of QB runs despite having RBs who are often successful when they run.

Not to mention that many of his runs come from scrambles that turn into runs.

And Singletary does indeed rely on quickness and making guys miss. That's why he is consistently in the top four in the NFL of forcing missed tackles.

2021 7th at missed tackles per attempt %age

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-elusive-running-backs-2021-season

2022 5th at missed tackles per attempt %age

https://www.rotoballer.com/fantasy-football-running-back-sleepers-missed-tackles-2022/995606#Missed_Tackles_Forced_Data    (see graph)

2019 2nd at missed tackles per attempt %age

"[Singletary] forced 0.25 missed tackles per attempt, second-best in the league. "

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-backfield-rankings-all-32-running-back-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

2022 6th at broken+missed tackles forced %age

https://www.fantasypros.com/2022/07/rb-broken-plus-missed-tackles-forced-percentage-analysis-2022-fantasy-football-javonte-williams-elijah-mitchell-ezekiel-elliott/

Your idea that he can't force missed tackles, that, "that is not going to happen against most NFL defensive players" is just plain wrong.

There is a reason we do not hear about any teams interested in signing him,  he an average back and we have had a non existent running game for the past 3-4 years because of it.

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd be shocked at this point if Singletary doesn't come back on a team friendly deal. RB's aren't banking their estimated values to begin with and he's running out of options with the amount of them that have been signed already.

Whether simply running back what we had last season is the right move or not is debatable. But I think the writing is on the wall that that's what we're going to do.

As it's been said, the Bills need a bigger back.  We need someone to contrast Cook, who can pound the rock, and can get those tough short yards. We don't need both Singletary and Cook. 

Foreman was the idea guy to fill that role and would've come cheap.  I can't believe Beane wasn't all over that.

11 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

He should get eventually signed and most likely back with the Bills but seeing all the movements at RB it tells me he’s not highly thought of as a running back in the NFL. I posted a thread on him not being a starter next yr and it looks like I’m going to be right. 

If it tells you that, that's because you're making invalid conclusions from insufficient data.

All it can legitimately tell you right now is that he's not signed yet. What that means will need a lot more time and data to figure out.

Oh, and as for various things people have said in this thread about how much the OL is responsible for our run problems, there's two stats to look at that address that.

Football Outsiders has two stats called Adjusted Line Yards and RB yards.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/help/article/adjusted-line-yards

There's a comprehensive explanation at that link, but basically they statistically separate yards the line is responsible for from the yards the RB is responsible for. Doing so perfectly is not possible, of course. But their methodology makes a ton of sense and generally does put fit the eye test as well as any stat ever does. 

Generally, if the RB yards are not much higher than the Adj. Line Yards, the blocking is responsible for more of that team's productivity in the run game than the RBs are.

So, if you subtract Adj. Line Yards from RB yards, the higher the quotient, the more the RBs rather than the OL is responsible for any success. Again, doesn't mean the running attack is good. Just that the RB is more responsible for any success than the OL.

The Bills quotient was 6th highest in the league last year. It was more about the RBs than the OL in Buffalo in terms of who was more responsible for the yards they actually got.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

As it's been said, the Bills need a bigger back.  We need someone to contrast Cook, who can pound the rock, and can get those tough short yards. We don't need both Singletary and Cook. 

Foreman was the idea guy to fill that role and would've come cheap.  I can't believe Beane wasn't all over that.

Wouldn't have minded Foreman at all. 

But maybe Beane was all over that. We won't know unless there are some leaks about it or Beane shares regrets or something along those lines.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.