Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Good! This officially puts McDermott on the hot seat, it's his defense and they are making him change DC, he's officially been given a warning. 

Kim will need to eventually step in because Beane won't fire McD.

You're suggesting that the best coach this team has had in something like 2 decades is on the hot seat this year? It took Andy Reid a damn long time to win a Super Bowl and no one ever suggested that he get fired while constantly having the Chiefs in contention.

This place is *something* in the offseason, damn 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't take that as being the chronology but I will re-listen. I was doing other things at the time. But regardless even if it was a week in the making my point is I don't think this has been some snap decision. 

I don't think it was a snap decision made and announced today either.  But I don't think it's been something in the works for weeks, comparable to the new coaching hires which were leaked in social media but only announced by the Bills today.

3 minutes ago, uninja said:

You're suggesting that the best coach this team has had in something like 2 decades is on the hot seat this year? It took Andy Reid a damn long time to win a Super Bowl and no one ever suggested that he get fired while constantly having the Chiefs in contention.

I expect if we were roaming around on Chiefs fan boards between 2015-2017 we would learn that a number of fans did, in fact, want Reid fired despite the two 11-5 and the 12-4 season.  Losing the conf. championship with an MVP QB and the #1 O in 2018 probably didn't help.

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

As long as this exit is not for health reasons, I finally get my wish from 1.5 years back. 

Now, I dont want a rookie DC to take over. Hope there is an experienced and proven hand still available. 

My personal take from Beane's presser is that either McDermott will take over game day playcalling, or one of the defensive assistants will move up to DC.

I will be bummed if the Bills promote Holcomb, Washington or Babich.  Washington was bad as DC in Carolina and Holcomb and Babich do not have enough experience.  The last thing we need is another coordinator that has limited or no prior experience as a coordinator.

It is unfortunate that this did not surface earlier in the offseason.  Not sure it would have mattered since McBeane seem to favor Carolina connections, but it would have been interesting to get a top DC to run the defense.

14 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Good! This officially puts McDermott on the hot seat, it's his defense and they are making him change DC, he's officially been given a warning. 

Kim will need to eventually step in because Beane won't fire McD.

1) I think that we are on the same page. Frazier is being used as a scapegoat for McDermott.

2) I don't believe for one second that Beane has, or ever did have the authority to fire McDermott. I firmly believe that the opposite applies and that McDermott has FAR more power than Beane, thus the many strange, defensively focused draft picks.

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

My personal take from Beane's presser is that either McDermott will take over game day playcalling, or one of the defensive assistants will move up to DC.

Do you think that Frazier had full autonomy wrt play calling? 

I for one do not and do believe that McDermott was/is calling the shots.

12 minutes ago, uninja said:

Josh Allen is the reason of our success not McDermott lol

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, uninja said:

yeah people on this board overdosed on media hype last season and are still hungover... 

39 minutes ago, Process said:

It seems like most people are assuming this was a polite way of firing him. If I had to guess I think the Bills and McBeane are being sincere in that it was Frazier's decision and they weren't the ones that wanted to move on. If they wanted to show him respect they wouldn't have waited until all the other coordinator jobs around the league were filled. 

Regardless, he's gone, and that's exciting, even though it's unlikely things change much.

Exciting is implementing a defense that's new, innovative, and effective in the playoffs.

A defense that can stop a playoff team from scoring at will and in 13 seconds. 

Agree on changes are unlikely. That says it all. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

1) I think that we are on the same page. Frazier is being used as a scapegoat for McDermott.

If that's the case, why not just fire him?  McDermott has fired other coaches - Rico Dennison, Juan Castillo, Jim Salgado this season.

The goat has better scapes if you officially lop off his head.

10 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

2) I don't believe for one second that Beane has, or ever did have the authority to fire McDermott. I firmly believe that the opposite applies and that McDermott has FAR more power than Beane, thus the many strange, defensively focused draft picks.

I dunno about "FAR more power than Beane", because I think it's been pretty clear at times Beane has made moves McDermott was not on board with.

I agree that the way it's set up, both Beane and McDermott report to the Pegulas, and Beane does not have fate control (authority to fire) McDermott.

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do you think that Frazier had full autonomy wrt play calling? 

I for one do not and do believe that McDermott was/is calling the shots.

I think it's very clear that at times during games, McDermott weighed in on defensive playcalls.

But I think the primary playcalling and the primary game plan responsibilities were both Frazier's and he called plays most of the time.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

Hopefully this also opens the door to letting Edmunds walk and making some changes to the defensive alignment and approach.   Elam and White become press corners more of the time, Get Hyde back in CF, Benford playing the Poyer role.   

I still believe defense is far less important than offense in today's NFL against top 10 teams.   So Fraziers departure is kind of ho hum for me as you need to be scoring 30 a game in this league to win regardless of who your DC is.   And the Bills will be playing a lot of top 10 teams each season as long as they keep winning the division.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, uninja said:

Bills fans have collectively lost their damn minds. I blame 20+ years of suckitude warping our reasoning and expectations. But it is almost unbelievable how spoiled and entitled we became so quickly.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, uninja said:

Step your game up. It's not 2016, playoffs is no longer the goal. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.