Benford is our next strong safety

Success

Not sure if this is worth its own thread, but I've seen quite a bit of discussion about the need to draft a safety early, assuming that Poyer won't be a Bill this season.

Benford has the measurables & the skllls that are needed.  He would be a backup for years if he stays at CB on this team.  He's too good to just be a backup, and I think he could have a very successful transition to SS w/ the right coaching.

My heart will sink a bit if I see the Bills draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round (or even the 3rd), simply to replace Poyer.  They need to focus on the trenches. We have skilled players on the roster right now that can pick up the slack in the secondary.

Just my 2 cents.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Not sure if this is worth its own thread, but I've seen quite a bit of discussion about the need to draft a safety early, assuming that Poyer won't be a Bill this season.

Benford has the measurables & the skllls that are needed.  He would be a backup for years if he stays at CB on this team.  He's too good to just be a backup, and I think he could have a very successful transition to SS w/ the right coaching.

My heart will sink a bit if I see the Bills draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round (or even the 3rd), simply to replace Poyer.  They need to focus on the trenches. We have skilled players on the roster right now that can pick up the slack in the secondary.

Just my 2 cents.  

Christian Benford is better than Tre White right now. So idk about all that buried on the depth chart stuff 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Christian Benford is better than Tre White right now. So idk about all that buried on the depth chart stuff 

Perhaps it was just injuries, but he was buried in the depth chart at the end of the year. It was confusing to me because at the beginning of the year he was a Starter who seemed to be holding his own. Then when he came back from the hand injury, he couldn't get playing time over Tre, Kaiir, and Dane.

But re: the OP - I agree. If Damar can return and Benford is switched to Safety as alluded to, I really think that position could be covered. Maybe sign a cheap vet you think could work in the system and/or Draft a guy you like in the midrounds. But I don't see the need to select one in Round 1 or 2.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Success said:

Just my 2 cents.  

I think Benford would do well in this role but he has never played the position before in NFL so the jury is still out.  Many of us (me included) thought that Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie could easily pick up the slack left from Sanders and Beasley and it didn’t happen.  So until we see Benford actually play safety I’ll be indifferent.  

I hope they don’t - but I could see the Bills still drafting a Safety in the draft, even with Benford in starting consideration because Hyde is a free agent in 2024 and will be in th same situation as Poyer at the end of next season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah I like him. However, it would be incredibly short sighted to go in with that plan to take a lower level competition college corner who only played in 9 games and bank on him changing positions and being good. There are some really good safeties in this draft and some interesting possible corner converts in free agency. Benford should be part of the competition, but they need more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Benford at safety?  Worth a shot but playing Safety is a COMPLETELY different football game compared to linebacker.  I was tasked to make that position switch, and it was a disaster.

Maybe he has the skills.....   I didn't. LOL.

Worth a try.

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm 100% down for Benford taking over Poyer's position and I'm sure there will be some growing pains. But it's probably a guarantee that this will be Micah's last season. Somewhere in the draft (hopefully not in the first 3 rounds) McD is grabbing a safety. 

Looked like Bedford played over Elam , who had a good year. 

Really good athlete

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.