Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Or, third option, LJ is sitting out an entire year and hoping he can swing a Watson deal next season.

No chance.  The NFL will ensure he doesn't get a Watson-type deal next year if he sits out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

What do you mean they could trade him for 2 picks already? Who is negotiating with Lamar right now?

His rights still belong to the Ravens.  I believe they can trade those rights.   The Ravens are trying to play things out with the non-exclusive tag but Jackson has no intention of playing for the Ravens.

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

If Lamar is determined not to play there anymore then the Ravens should cash in now while his price would be highest.

Don't be the Packers and let it become personal and petty. Do what is good for business. 

You don't want to be the team holding a young, superstar QB's career hostage from either a PR or business standpoint. If they announced that they were willing to do a traditional trade then there would be suitors and they could get a huge haul. 

If another team wanted him they could get him.  There is no interest in him for 2 first round picks and a contract better than Watson.  That should be clear to you by now.  He isnt good enough for that deal plus injury worries.

• Agree 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

If another team wanted him they could get him.  There is no interest in him for 2 first round picks and a contract better than Watson.  That should be clear to you by now.  He isnt good enough for that deal plus injury worries.

IMO teams feel that the Ravens would just match anyway, making it a waste of their (the new team's) time

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

No chance.  The NFL will ensure he doesn't get a Watson-type deal next year if he sits out.

They’re already ensuring it.   But if he really doesn’t want to be in Baltimore sitting out is his option.  He couldn’t trust they’ll work out a deal to trade him if he shows up.   After his tweets today, the Ravens better start plan B.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sounds like you are on to something. However, I have to ask. Why do you think they'd be able to pull off this far more complex process when no one could make the simplest processes work?

Do you really think there is a team out there willing to pay him $270M guaranteed, but not give up two 1sts for a QB who they think is worth $270M?

JMO, but I dont think the two 1sts are the thing that is holding this all up.

He’ll take less elsewhere, but not from the Ravens.  That’s the way things look at this point.  I think there is bad blood between Jackson and the organization.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

IMO teams feel that the Ravens would just match anyway, making it a waste of their (the new team's) time

I dont think so.  The dude flat wants a contract better than Watson and wont budge.  Thats the waste of time.  No one is paying him that even without the picks.  If he was worth that much to a team then the picks would be worth it too.  If the Ravens were willing to match a contract that Lamar would sign then they would already have given him that contract.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Doubtful. Since Lamar is very clear in what he wants and the Ravens already said no. If he found a team that was willing to pay him $270M, the Ravens arent stealing that deal. They couldve done that a year ago.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

How do you mean.  Until the tag is signed, the Ravens could trade him for a 7th round pick if they wanted.  Am I incorrect?

Yes

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I don’t think he will either but he may think he will.

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes

I don’t think he will either but he may think he will.

He hasn’t signed the tender yet, so he can’t be traded. Per Scheffler on ESPN. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:
2 hours ago, purple haze said:

His rights still belong to the Ravens.  I believe they can trade those rights.   The Ravens are trying to play things out with the non-exclusive tag but Jackson has no intention of playing for the Ravens.

He hasn’t signed the tender yet, so he can’t be traded. Per Scheffler on ESPN just a few minutes ago  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

I never thought I would say this, but I think that Lamar could more or less negotiate himself out of the league. 

The problem is he isnt negotiating. He has a single demand, take it or leave it.

He's gonna have quite the shocked pikachu face when the NFL decides "leave it".

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.