Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

Lamar isn’t doing himself any favors, it would not surprise me in the slightest that no one trades for him, and Baltimore refuses to give in, then he pouts and sits out the upcoming season, and then gets released and ends up on a crap team, and become just another QB who coulda been a contender…, it would make a great thirty for thirty episode, 😂

Edited by Don Otreply

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Lamar isn’t doing himself any favors, it would not surprise me in the slightest that no one trades for him, and Baltimore refuses to give in, then he pouts and sits out the upcoming season, and then gets released and ends up on a crap team, and become just another QB who coulda been a contender…, it would make a great thirty for thirty episode, 😂

He'll just cost himself even more money he'll never recoup if he sits out, especially since he'll be fined $88K for missing minicamp and $30K/day for missing training camp.  Then game checks.

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

Is he considered under contract? Hasn't signed so how do you trade him?

He's been franchise tagged.

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

Is he considered under contract? Hasn't signed so how do you trade him?

He can't be traded unless he signs the franchise tag/signs a new contract. Presumably any team that negotiates a trade for him would also be negotiating a new contract for him before the trade is executed.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes he does. But I think that once Lamar has a deal in place, and a trade in place, THEN he would sign the tag in order for everything to be executed.

So what I'm reading is that teams can't outbid the transition tag 2 firsts for a QB as well. 

So the market is still 2 firsts and a fully GTD contract for LJ.  Just like the last 3 weeks.

Just now, FireChans said:

So what I'm reading is that teams can't outbid the transition tag 2 firsts for a QB as well. 

So the market is still 2 firsts and a fully GTD contract for LJ.  Just like the last 3 weeks.

I believe the Ravens can ask for lower compensation.  

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I think this is the nail in the coffin of him sitting this year out. Only way he plays is if hes willing to sign a deal like the Ravens offered previously, which was what? Like 3 years fully guaranteed?  Then you kinda know you wont be able to sign him once that expires. Now he's three years older, his value is down again lol  what a mess, hes playing his way out of the league. Would not shock me in the least if weve seen the last of him on a field.  

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Yep, nothing is changing.

Lamar:

tumblr_ol9e9aKFe01u9u02so1_250.gif

Just now, Doc said:

I believe the Ravens can ask for lower compensation.  

I dont think they can. Give me a sec to find a link....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Correct. A trade does not have to include two 1st round picks (though it probably should just from a trade value perspective).

I get that everything is negotiable but as soon as he signs the franchise tag, doesn't the team owe 2 firsts?

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep, nothing is changing.

Lamar:

tumblr_ol9e9aKFe01u9u02so1_250.gif

I dont think they can. Give me a sec to find a link....

Except Lamar revealing to the world that no one has wanted him at his price point for a month instead of 2 weeks.

It's like telling potential employers you've been unemployed for 6 months when they ask what you've been doing the last two weeks.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I get that everything is negotiable but as soon as he signs the franchise tag, doesn't the team owe 2 firsts?

I think the Ravens have the right to match. If they choose not to, then they are owed the 2 1st rounders. 

So a team could conceivably offer more compensation to get the Ravens to let him go. 

Just now, TOboy said:

I think the Ravens have the right to match. If they choose not to, then they are owed the 2 1st rounders. 

So a team could conceivably offer more compensation to get the Ravens to let him go. 

Don't think so.  The compensation can't exceed 2 firsts by the rules of the tag.

• Agree 1

If Lamar is determined not to play there anymore then the Ravens should cash in now while his price would be highest.

Don't be the Packers and let it become personal and petty. Do what is good for business. 

You don't want to be the team holding a young, superstar QB's career hostage from either a PR or business standpoint. If they announced that they were willing to do a traditional trade then there would be suitors and they could get a huge haul. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Eyeroll 2

Just now, FireChans said:

Don't think so.  The compensation can't exceed 2 firsts by the rules of the tag.

Could the Ravens do a 1 day/ $1 contract to get around that? Seems like there are some creative solutions here.  Its so weird to handcuff a team to their own detriment, when the tag was a measure that was supposed to give teams leverage.

If Balt, Team X, and Lamar are all on the same page about a deal, why would the NFL split hairs and block it? Weird

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.