Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Ahhh ok. Sounds like their is a work around to the 2 firsts though. Work out trade compensation, Lamar world out a contract, Lamar signs the tag, which allows the trade to happen for whatever picks were negotiated.

Sounds like you are on to something. However, I have to ask. Why do you think they'd be able to pull off this far more complex process when no one could make the simplest processes work?

Do you really think there is a team out there willing to pay him $270M guaranteed, but not give up two 1sts for a QB who they think is worth $270M?

JMO, but I dont think the two 1sts are the thing that is holding this all up.

45 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I dont think Lamar is going to play on the tag, Ravens might call his bluff, but it seems like a better outcome for everyone if a trade gets done. Id think Balt would rather take a first and 2nd/3rd or whatever, then continue down this road.  Seems like the tag is handcuffing them if thats what they want to do

I think he will sign tag last possible week paying whatever fines he is required and then have a doctor diagnose an injury like planters fakeitis while he is doing preparation work and he will not play a game again for Ravens.

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

NHL players talk about how difficult arbitration hearings are because they are in the room to hear the team tear their performance apart in an attempt to get a lower ruling. It must feel strange due to the disconnect between the Ravens' marketing of Lamar the player and their refusal to pay him what he feels his performance warrants. 

Interesting, thanks. It's no surprise that Lamar is soured. Have to think the landscape of the league would be absurdly different if every player did this.

Agents are rubbers, Lamar hit raw, and now has 🔥 pee lol 'Wrap it in latex or shes taking your paychecks'

Ahahahaha

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sounds like you are on to something. However, I have to ask. Why do you think they'd be able to pull off this far more complex process when no one could make the simplest processes work?

Do you really think there is a team out there willing to pay him $270M guaranteed, but not give up two 1sts for a QB who they think is worth $270M?

JMO, but I dont think the two 1sts are the thing that is holding this all up.

Complex probs require complex solutions. The only way this works is Lamar works out a shorter term deal, like the one he rejected from Balt. 

What was it like 3yrs, $135m (@45/year)?

He can save a bit of face, signing it with a new team. Seems like he'd be better off taking that to stay in Balt, but ego and hurt feelings won't allow it, IMO

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I chuckled

I have experience with this.  Eight years I went between doctors with each doctor diagnosing issue as something different including one who declared it in my head.  Doctor declared it was planters and I said it made no sense because issue was in ankle not foot bur he said if you soften the muscle of the foot the issue in ankle would be corrected.  He put me in a hard cast and in a week it got worse to point which I could barely walk so he said something is wrong and had MRI (first time any doctor did that) and he found a cyst size of a golf ball surrounding ankle bone which had grown around muscles, nerves, blood vessels, tendons, etc.  Six hour surgery corrected issue with therapy.

Lesson: planters fasciitis can be diagnosed with NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE but only what patient tells doctor.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Complex probs require complex solutions. The only way this works is Lamar works out a shorter term deal, like the one he rejected from Balt. 

What was it like 3yrs, $135m (@45/year)?

He can save a bit of face, signing it with a new team. Seems like he'd be better off taking that to stay in Balt, but ego and hurt feelings won't allow it, IMO

A team that signs him to an offer sheet won't want to make it easy for Ravens to match

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I get that everything is negotiable but as soon as he signs the franchise tag, doesn't the team owe 2 firsts?

No, if he signs the franchise tag (not an offer sheet), that means he's technically re-signing with Baltimore, and they could then trade him wherever they choose for whatever compensation they deem is enough.

If he signs an offer sheet with another team and Baltimore decides not to match, then Baltimore would receive two 1st round picks. But if a team agrees to a trade with Baltimore, they can work around that requirement.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Or, third option, LJ is sitting out an entire year and hoping he can swing a Watson deal next season. 

Again, it can't.

How do you mean.  Until the tag is signed, the Ravens could trade him for a 7th round pick if they wanted.  Am I incorrect?

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Lamar just seems like a natural fit for the Atlanta Falcons it almost makes too much sense 

I've been saying this since last year. And am not sure why it isnt done already.

The Falcons have the cash, the picks, the need, and it would be HUGE in this city.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

No, if he signs the franchise tag (not an offer sheet), that means he's technically re-signing with Baltimore, and they could then trade him wherever they choose for whatever compensation they deem is enough.

If he signs an offer sheet with another team and Baltimore decides not to match, then Baltimore would receive two 1st round picks. But if a team agrees to a trade with Baltimore, they can work around that requirement.

yeah, I messed that up.

Just now, Virgil said:

How do you mean.  Until the tag is signed, the Ravens could trade him for a 7th round pick if they wanted.  Am I incorrect?

yes, incorrect

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Yes, you are incorrect.

Lamar is essentially a RFA right now. If that helps how folks think of this.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've been saying this since last year. And am not sure why it isnt done already.

The Falcons have the cash, the picks, the need, and it would be HUGE in this city.

Let’s face it Dr i have friends who moved down there and they tell me the same thing it’s Braves season or Georgia Football then everything else. 
He really would fit in perfectly and put the Falcons back on the map. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Jackson doesn't sign the tag and sits out

Jackson signs offer sheet. Ravens match or do not

Jackson signs tag and plays for Ravens

Jackson signs tag and Ravens trade him

Ravens remove tag and Jackson is an UFA

I think that's everything?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I have experience with this.  Eight years I went between doctors with each doctor diagnosing issue as something different including one who declared it in my head.  Doctor declared it was planters and I said it made no sense because issue was in ankle not foot bur he said if you soften the muscle of the foot the issue in ankle would be corrected.  He put me in a hard cast and in a week it got worse to point which I could barely walk so he said something is wrong and had MRI (first time any doctor did that) and he found a cyst size of a golf ball surrounding ankle bone which had grown around muscles, nerves, blood vessels, tendons, etc.  Six hour surgery corrected issue with therapy.

Lesson: planters fasciitis can be diagnosed with NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE but only what patient tells doctor.

Pics? For definitely not weird reasons

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

A team that signs him to an offer sheet won't want to make it easy for Ravens to match

Are we past the point of Lamar playing for Balt though? Lets say the above $45mx3 years were offered by ATL. Lamar wants to take it, Ravens match it.  Can Lamar then refuse it, or does him signing an ATL offer sheet trigger him to also accepting Ravens matching offer?

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

Jackson doesn't sign the tag and sits out

Jackson signs offer sheet. Ravens match or do not

Jackson signs tag and plays for Ravens

Jackson signs tag and Ravens trade him

Ravens remove tag and Jackson is an UFA

I think that's everything?

Jackson takes up cricket and moves to India?

12 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Are we past the point of Lamar playing for Balt though? Lets say the above $45mx3 years were offered by ATL. Lamar wants to take it, Ravens match it.  Can Lamar then refuse it, or does him signing an ATL offer sheet trigger him to also accepting Ravens matching offer?

signing an offer sheet is just like signing a contract.

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Jackson takes up cricket and moves to India?

forgot about that one

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

signing an offer sheet is just like signing a contract.

forgot about that one

Oh wow, interesting.  Wonder what some of the options are for a team to offer that would kill Balt here. Obv that $270m he wants, but theres probably other ways. Maybe a team is crazy enough to do $60m x 3 or something like that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.