Greatest Individual Season in Buffalo History

Mango

Greatest Individual Season n Buffalo Sports History  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Individual Season n Buffalo Sports History

• 1998-99 Domink Hasek: Carried a flawed roster 6 games into the Stanley Cup Final. Won his 3rd Vezina with a .935 S% and 1.85 GAA. Should have won the Hart Trophy for a 3rd consecutive year.
    • 1990 Bruce Smith: Bills make their first run to the Super Bowl. Bruce records 19 sacks only overshadowed by Derrick Thomas 20. 7th best season of all time all from the 3-4 DE.
    • 1991 Thurman Thomas: 1400 rushing yards at 4.9 ypc. Plus 600 yards receiving. NFL MVP and OPOY. 7th best season by a RB at the time.
    • 1992-93 Alexander Mogilny: 6 goals, 51 assists. 127 points. Tied Selanne in Goals. 7th in total points. 5th most goals in a season ever.
    • Rudy Pikuzinski: That mullet and mustache
    • 1975 Bob McAdoo: 1975 NBA MVP (34.5 points, 14.1 rebounds. and 2.12 blocks per game, while shooting 51.2% from the field and 80.5% from the free-throw line)
    • 1973 OJ Simpson: 2003 yards 14 games. Permanently put him in the pantheon of all time great RB's.
    • 1975 OJ Simpson: 329 carries for 1817 yds (5.8 ypc) and 16 TDs. 129.8 ypg average. 28 receptions for 426 yds (15.2 ypc) and 7 TDs. 30.2 ypg average. In 14 games he generated 2243 yards and 23TDs.That's 160 ypg and 1.65 TDs per game.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:51 AM, Gregg said:

Before my time but what about the 1964 & 1965 Buffalo Bills. Two-time AFL champions and the only Buffalo team between the Bills and Sabres to win it all.

Good choice here would be Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion in 1964. Only 42 catches in 14 games but a whopping 1139 yards and 10 TDs (out of a total of 19 TDs passes for all receivers) at a time when passing wasn't anywhere near as prevalent as now. Big part of the Bills' first championship.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/22/2023 at 11:46 PM, Mango said:

It’s been nearly 25 years. Kids were born, came of drinking age, got 401k’s, and produced grand children between now and then.

What a heart break year and that still might be the best combined year in Buffalo sports history. 

I was conflicted on whether or not to include OJ. 

I hear you, but you kind of have to include him since he’s the probably the answer to the question.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:43 PM, Mango said:

Right, but nobody is calling OJ's 74 season the greatest season by an individual in Buffalo sports history. It is either 73 or 75.

I was replying to a post that said OJ never made the playoffs.

I agree 75 and 73 were better years than 74.

Hasek. 

Damn near an individual accomplishment. And something we will likely never see again in the nets. 

Not saying the man acquitted of double murder wasn’t a great football player. But I can’t put any player above a position that has so much individual pressure. Hasek is top 3 goalie of all time. 

And I’m only half kidding when I say John Tavares should be considered in top 10 if we’re OK including all Buffalo teams. Completely dominate in his field. 

• Agree 1

OJ was a thrill ride and a half, that season was incredible to watch, but no playoffs.    The first superbowl season was spectacular despite the outcome.  

Hasek was also amazing but they were painful to watch, almost the offense was like watching a soccer team. 

On 2/22/2023 at 11:18 PM, Mango said:

Full offseason mode. What’s the greatest single season by one player in the cities professional sports history.

I’ll create a poll if this picks up, but thought I’d get feedback from some people a bit older than me. I certainly came of age for Buffalo Sports in the 90’s.

For me it’s easy and not close. Hasek in 99. 

98-99 Domink Hasek: Carried a flawed roster 6 games into the Stanley Cup Final. Won his 3rd Vezina with a .935 S% and 1.85 GAA. There’s an argument that 97-98 might be a better individual season, but he carried the entire team to the show. I think Hasek voter fatigue is the only reason he didn’t get the Hart trophy three years in a row. As I write this and think of all the other players that have come and gone, Hasek is likely the greatest athlete in Buffalo pro-sports history. 

1990 Bruce Smith: Bills make their first run to the Super Bowl. Bruce records 19 sacks only overshadowed by Derrick Thomas 20. 7th best season of all time all from the 3-4 DE.

1991 Thurman Thomas: 1400 rushing yards at 4.9 ypc. Plus 600 yards receiving. NFL MVP and OPOY. 7th best season by a RB at the time. 

92-93 Alexander Mogilny: 76 goals, 51 assists. 127 points. Tied Selanne in Goals. 7th in total points.  5th best season of all time. He is the only player in the top 30 not in the HoF. 

Rudy Pikuzinski: Mullets and Mustaches

1975 Bob McAdoo: NBA MVP 34.5 points, 14.1 rebounds. and 2.12 blocks per game, while shooting 51.2% from the field and 80.5% from the free-throw line

1973 OJ Simpson: 2003 yards in 14 games

1975 OJ Simpson: 329 carries for 1817 yds (5.8 ypc) and 16 TDs. 129.8 ypg average; 28 receptions for 426 yds (15.2 ypc) and 7 TDs. 30.2 ypg average. In 14 games he generated 2243 yards and 23TDs. That's 160 ypg  and 1.65 TDs per game. 

Hasek is the most dominant goalie in history, therefore he gets the nod easily on my book. If you compared that Sabres vs those Stars there were 2 or 3 Sabres that would see the ice regularly across the way. Hasek was going against another HOF goalie and still was clearly the best player on the ice by a wide margin. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/22/2023 at 11:46 PM, Mango said:

I was conflicted on whether or not to include OJ. 

OJ is definitely on this list properly. His actions off the field do not diminish his athletic achievements. He in all the truly important ways is a scumbag but was a great athlete. 

6 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Hasek is the most dominant goalie in history, therefore he gets the nod easily on my book. If you compared that Sabres vs those Stars there were 2 or 3 Sabres that would see the ice regularly across the way. Hasek was going against another HOF goalie and still was clearly the best player on the ice by a wide margin. 

Hull and Madano are all time great goal scorers. We what Peca and Satan? 

Swap Eddie and Hasek and that series is over in 4. Maaaaaybe 5. Maybe.

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Josh Allen’s 2020 season should MOST DEF be in this poll !

4544 pass yards 37 TDs 

421 rush yards 7 TDs

oh yeah and 1 rec TD also… 

A great season for a Buffalo QB. But Allen was bested by Brady and Mahomes. And is well outside of the top 50 in all time single season stats. He’s 73rd. 

Great year. Zero criticisms. SEVERELY outclassed by multiple Hasek and OJ seasons. Thurman and Bruce were also better compared to their peers. 

On 2/23/2023 at 4:51 AM, CSBill said:

Bob McAdoo = 1973 NBA Rookie of the year, or the 1975 NBA MVP (34.5 points, 14.1 rebounds. and 2.12 blocks per game, while shooting 51.2% from the field and 80.5% from the free-throw line) . . . . And his reward for that MVP season, they traded him (and Tom McMillen) for a hamburger and some cash to the Knicks--which was the beginning of the end of the Buffalo Braves.

Had a Braves poster of McAdoo in my room back in the 70s 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Mango said:

A great season for a Buffalo QB. But Allen was bested by Brady and Mahomes. And is well outside of the top 50 in all time single season stats. He’s 73rd. 

Great year. Zero criticisms. SEVERELY outclassed by multiple Hasek and OJ seasons. Thurman and Bruce were also better compared to their peers. 

73rd in what ? That’s an MVP almost any other year if not for a historical season from Aaron Rodgers. We’re talking greatest single season in Buffalo sports and that’s the statistically best any QB for this team has done it’s 60 or so years in existence. 

Thurman was an elite RB in his time, but def not better than Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith. Bruce Smith also played during the same time frame as LT and Reggie White. I don’t follow hockey, but I’ll take your word for it. I voted for OJ so I can’t disagree with u there, but I still feel Allen should’ve at least got an option in the poll. 

On 2/23/2023 at 11:28 PM, butch rolle said:

When it comes to comparing seasons across sports and positions, I think that subconsciously, fans lean towards offense.  That's what makes Hasek's inclusion all of the more impressive.  His level of dominance during this era simply cannot be understated.  "The Dominator" winning the Hart in 97 was akin to Lawrence Taylor winning the NFL league MVP as a linebacker in 86'.  It had been almost 40 years since a goalie won the Hart.  Then Hasek won the damn thing again in 98!  Another somewhat forgotten accomplishment that punctuated his dominant tenure in Buffalo - the 1998 Olympics in Nagano.  He put the Czech Republic on his back, leading the massive underdogs to gold.   I have vivid memories of being away at college in Boston and calling for my dorm buddies to huddle around the TV to watch him in the shootout against the heavily favored Canadian team.   He absolutely stoned a murderers row of goal scorers.   This video is in Czech, but I think it makes it all the more fun to watch as you hear their national pride and excitement.   When this game was over it almost seemed like his shutout performance against Russia in the Gold Medal finals was a footnote.  Simply remarkable.

That man was something else.  You just knew if the Sabres could come up with 2 early goals you could turn out the lights.  1 would often due, 2 and the fat lady was singing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/23/2023 at 4:51 AM, CSBill said:

Bob McAdoo = 1973 NBA Rookie of the year, or the 1975 NBA MVP (34.5 points, 14.1 rebounds. and 2.12 blocks per game, while shooting 51.2% from the field and 80.5% from the free-throw line) . . . . And his reward for that MVP season, they traded him (and Tom McMillen) for a hamburger and some cash to the Knicks--which was the beginning of the end of the Buffalo Braves.

It was a bag o' basketballs.  There's a Gianelli post downthread that also reminded me that Dan Neaverth was fired as the Aud announcer after going apebleep when John Y Brown dumped Bob McAdoo for nothing.  He put out a song "No More 'Two for McAdoo'" about how he was fired for saying "bad things about Gianelli".  Very sad day in Buffalo sports history.

I voted for the Dominator.  I simply can't vote for the double murderer (allegedly).

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.