In light of Beane’s weak drafting maybe he should move up in the early rounds.

Tipster19

9 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

McDermott drafted a third 

This is true BUT!  It was a different front office and scouts that makes a huge difference. Do u think Mcd scouted Tre White? I highly doubt it. U got to give 2017 draft credit to Mcd, Whaley and the rest of his front office and u know what other then Joshie that’s been by far the best draft of the Mcd era and I wish we would’ve kept Whaley and his staff on they were a lot better then Beane and his buddies at drafting they ran circles around them. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Of course not. McDermott did and was probably responsible for trading up for Elan. 

It is not unusual for a head coach to have more power than a GM. I can't prove it but imo McDermott has far more power than Beane and some of it needs to be stripped away.

Again, jmo.

He does have more power than Beane. That is also a fact. McDermott could have Beane fired. Beane could not have McDermott fired. 

I do believe McDermott lets Beane run the draft and I think Beane makes the final calls and I think it wae Beane's call to take Elam. But McDermott has a lot of influence on personnel. I don't doubt that.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Do you view the regime's six years as a success?

BTW, we had many teams on the cusp over that "Last 20 Years" stretch.  I count 9 seasons during that stretch where we were 7-9 to 9-7.  What if Ryan's 8-8 or 7-9 teams had had Allen instead of Taylor, I'm pretty sure we'd have made the playoffs.  Would that then have made Ryan the coach to take us to the Super Bowl and win a championship?  Hardly, but he wouldn't have been fired more than likely, ... because he "made the playoffs."  

Or Marrone's last 9-7 season, if instead of Orton he'd had Allen.  Don't you think we'd have won at least one more game and "made the playoffs?"  I do.  IMO we'd have won several more.  Doesn't meant that I think that Marrone was a good HC, he wasn't, never was, and still isn't.  

Just sayin' ... 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He does have more power than Beane. That is also a fact. McDermott could have Beane fired. Beane could not have McDermott fired. 

I do believe McDermott lets Beane run the draft and I think Beane makes the final calls and I think it wae Beane's call to take Elam. But McDermott has a lot of influence on personnel. I don't doubt that.

Agreed, and without seeing his contract, which we'll never see, we'll likely never know the details.  But it's obvious when a Head Coach gets to choose his own GM, and that HC selects a guy that really wouldn't qualify anywhere else and who was also on his former team, and as a result that new GM owes everything to his HC.  Common sense.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, we had many teams on the cusp over that "Last 20 Years" stretch.  I count 9 seasons during that stretch where we were 7-9 to 9-7.  What if Ryan's 8-8 or 7-9 teams had had Allen instead of Taylor, I'm pretty sure we'd have made the playoffs.  Would that then have made Ryan the coach to take us to the Super Bowl and win a championship?  Hardly, but he wouldn't have been fired more than likely, ... because he "made the playoffs."  

Or Marrone's last 9-7 season, if instead of Orton he'd had Allen.  Don't you think we'd have won at least one more game and "made the playoffs?"  I do.  IMO we'd have won several more.  Doesn't meant that I think that Marrone was a good HC, he wasn't, never was, and still isn't.  

Just sayin' ... 

I actually think Doug Marrone did a decent job in Buffalo in terms of building a competitive team and getting the most out of them. 

Rex Ryan didn't. He had a really talented roster in 2015. To go 8-8 on an easy schedule with that roster was criminal. If you gave McDermott that roster he'd have won 10 or 11 games even with Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Agreed, and without seeing his contract, which we'll never see, we'll likely never know the details.  But it's obvious when a Head Coach gets to choose his own GM, and that HC selects a guy that really wouldn't qualify anywhere else and who was also on his former team, and as a result that new GM owes everything to his HC.  Common sense.  

Agree with most of this, but the bolded isn't quite fair. Beane had been acting GM in Carolina and had interviewed earlier in 2017 for the San Francisco job. He was recognised as one of the best up and coming candidates out there. Obviously the Bills job was a slam dunk for him but I do suspect he was at the point where he was going to be a popluar interview candidate for upcoming GM gigs. 

13 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

This may increase his percentage of success in finding better talent, hopefully it takes more risk out of his selections. The only thing left for acquiring better talent this year seems to be the draft. Right now finding quality of player is the biggest challenge facing McBeane during their tenure imo.

He’s horrible at trading up also . See Cody Ford for proof, 😂

10 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I’m starting to think it might be time to see if there’s a 3 Bills Drive, you’d think this team went 4-14 this year. 

Their record is even more impressive seeing Beane can’t draft, the FA signings are all busts, coaches are clueless, and Allen regressed.

Glad you are on the Bus with us Gus

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with most of this, but the bolded isn't quite fair. Beane had been acting GM in Carolina and had interviewed earlier in 2017 for the San Francisco job. He was recognised as one of the best up and coming candidates out there. Obviously the Bills job was a slam dunk for him but I do suspect he was at the point where he was going to be a popluar interview candidate for upcoming GM gigs. 

Gettleman was the GM in Carolina and was responsible for their drafts there, but I looked when we hired Beane, I didn't see any kind of significant draft picks for the two seasons prior that he was "Asst. GM," whatever that means, besides McCaffrey, who was a no-brainer, if they hadn't grabbed him at 8th overall he'd have gone in the next several picks.  In fact, his drafts otherwise very much resemble his drafts here, a lotta nothing, a lotta B/C players and not getting value he should from the spots where he selects guys.   That's why I didn't care for the pick back then.  HIs best pick not in the top-10 was Vernon Butler, no wonder he ended up here in the Carolina to Buffalo express like so many others.  Anyone can give anyone credit for a good draft pick, if they had one besides McCaffrey on his watch, but at the end of the day everyone can't take credit and we have no idea what the impetus for that particular pick was.  Given his performance here it wouldn't see as if it was his, but we really don't know.  He was GM mystery meat.  We hear of "up and coming candidates" all the time that never end up doing anything, so that's all fluff. 

Point taken nonetheless.  My point was implying that we could have I'm sure gotten a more proven GM, but the fact that McD, the coach, was in on the process, that pretty much hamstrung us and predicted our short-list of choices to have been someone from Carolina, which of course it was.  It's also a safe thing to suggest that he wasn't the best candidate out there.  There's a lot of room for disagreement here, but my focus is on where things stand today.  Five seasons in and he hasn't proven that he was the best choice.  

• Like (+1) 1

BTW, part of my point was that when the HC is hired first and allowed to select his own GM, the process is flawed.  That situation shouldn't exist unless the coach is someone with decades of winning experience, which obviously McD did not have.  

We knew that the GM, whomever it was going to be, was coming from Carolina.  There's something wrong with that process.  

• Agree 1

Your point is dead from the go

Brandon Beane has not drafted weakly you don’t have winning seasons every year and have a GM they can’t recognize talent

Stop with this

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

He’s horrible at trading up also . See Cody Ford for proof, 😂

Yeah, those trade ups for Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds just sucked

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Brandon Beane has not drafted weakly you don’t have winning seasons every year and have a GM they can’t recognize talent

Stop with this

Edmunds trade up did suck ! I wanted Leonard and Warner later believe me I’m a draft geek! Those 2 players u could’ve traded bk and got 1 off them load up on pks instead of unload. 

• Agree 1

Just now, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Edmunds trade up did suck ! I wanted Leonard and Warner later believe me I’m a draft geek! Those 2 players u could’ve traded bk and got 1 off them load up on pks instead of unload. 

Lol the Tremaine Edmunds pic absolutely did not suck. He has been a good linebacker for us and the numbers bear that out. Do you want to know what else Bears that out? The huge contract is about to get from somebody just because you had some draft crushes doesn’t mean that he wasn’t the correct pick.

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Stop with this

Brandon Beane is a mediocre GM . I said it I don’t care how many games Allen carry’s this franchise on his bk . Beane has sucked in free agency and draft he sucks! Plain and simple . If either of us sucked at our jobs as much as him we’d be fired. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Brandon Beane is a mediocre GM . I said it I don’t care how many games Allen carry’s this franchise on his bk . Beane has sucked in free agency and draft he sucks! Plain and simple . If either of us sucked at our jobs as much as him we’d be fired. 

One player does not carry a franchise. It takes a village sir Brandon being is not a mediocre GM. The win loss of this team does not support your theory.

It’s interesting, how you use us at our jobs as to whether we would be fired or not do you wanna know why we would not be fired because the product that we put out as a team would be excellent

You’re way off

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Lol the Tremaine Edmunds pic absolutely did not suck. He has been a good linebacker for us and the numbers bear that out. Do you want to know what else Bears that out? The huge contract is about to get from somebody just because you had some draft crushes doesn’t mean that he wasn’t the correct pick.

Yes it does it proves he doesn’t know value which he absolutely doesn’t have a feel for the draft it’s strengths it’s weaknesses. He’s drafted a bunch of jags especially in first 3 rds . Even the yr he traded for Diggs he didn’t have a feel for that strong class of Wrs. The proof is in the pudding and thank God he did hit on Allen next him and McD are living off that creature success. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Yes it does it proves he doesn’t know value which he absolutely doesn’t have a feel for the draft it’s strengths it’s weaknesses. He’s drafted a bunch of jags especially in first 3 rds . Even the yr he traded for Diggs he didn’t have a feel for that strong class of Wrs. The proof is in the pudding and thank God he did hit on Allen next him and McD are living off that creature success. 

Has been in the running for general manager of the year in the NFL every year he’s been with the bills

Your feelings don’t match the facts

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

One player does not carry a franchise. It takes a village sir Brandon being is not a mediocre GM. The win loss of this team does not support your theory.

It’s interesting, how you use us at our jobs as to whether we would be fired or not do you wanna know why we would not be fired because the product that we put out as a team would be excellent

You’re way off

Most of our best players was pkd up in 2017 bud, Hyde, Poyer, Milano, Dawkins, & Tre all from 2017 class which Beane has no connection to. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I said Most ! 

No, you’re wavering a cursory hand over it like Josh Allen is not a unicorn QB or something

The drafting of Josh Allen literally is what makes general managers be in their positions for years and years you get that one right you get a lot of leeway

Not lost in all of this is the bills just like to play veterans they’ll play their first round picks but you really gotta earn it to get on the field after that and they were veterans over them

The defensive line is played in a rotation Epenesa and boogie are not stars, but we have absolutely no idea what their stats would look like if they were full-time players

Losing Von Miller this year hurt at the time that Von Miller got hurt we were in the tops of the league in sacks. It fell off dramatically after that the general manager gets credit for bringing in Von Miller. The general manager does not take blame that Von Miller got hurt.

We have been using third round picks on running backs, and Devon Singleterry has been good. The scheme is self prevents him from being 1000 yard back.

Brandon beam gets a ton of credit for bringing in Diggs for that first round pick we have absolutely no idea if we would’ve taken the kid from the Vikings with it what a disaster would’ve been if we didn’t bring in digs and he would’ve taken a defensive player, but that didn’t happen because our general manager knows what he’s doing

I will say this once again in the NFL feels this way too. Our general manager is one of the top in the league and you know that buy the product that they put on the field. Only one team gets to win the Super Bowl every year. That doesn’t mean that our general manager didn’t do his job. 

Once again, you’re way off

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

No, you’re wavering a cursory hand over it like Josh Allen is not a unicorn QB or something

The drafting of Josh Allen literally is what makes general managers be in their positions for years and years you get that one right you get a lot of leeway

Not lost in all of this is the bills just like to play veterans they’ll play their first round picks but you really gotta earn it to get on the field after that and they were veterans over them

The defensive line is played in a rotation Epenesa and boogie are not stars, but we have absolutely no idea what their stats would look like if they were full-time players

Losing Von Miller this year hurt at the time that Von Miller got hurt we were in the tops of the league in sacks. It fell off dramatically after that the general manager gets credit for bringing in Von Miller. The general manager does not take blame that Von Miller got hurt.

We have been using third round picks on running backs, and Devon Singleterry has been good. The scheme is self prevents him from being 1000 yard back.

Brandon beam gets a ton of credit for bringing in Diggs for that first round pick we have absolutely no idea if we would’ve taken the kid from the Vikings with it what a disaster would’ve been if we didn’t bring in digs and he would’ve taken a defensive player, but that didn’t happen because our general manager knows what he’s doing

I will say this once again in the NFL feels this way too. Our general manager is one of the top in the league and you know that buy the product that they put on the field. Only one team gets to win the Super Bowl every year. That doesn’t mean that our general manager didn’t do his job. 

Once again, you’re way off

Your way of if u believe Singletary is a good back ! Your way off if u believe that Diggs trade was good one considering the guy Vikings took is better then he is. Your way off with your comments about Epenesa and Basham there big and slow not explosive at all and are very stiff .. No wonder why we disagree. 

Also Von Miller wasn’t a good signing at all at 33yrs old and with his past of injuries that wasn’t money well spent and we seen the results of that. Beane is a horrible gm in my opinion living off and riding Josh Allen back to wins! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Your way of if u believe Singletary is a good back ! Your way off if u believe that Diggs trade was good one considering the guy Vikings took is better then he is. Your way off with your comments about Epenesa and Basham there big and slow not explosive at all and are very stiff .. No wonder why we disagree. 

Also Von Miller wasn’t a good signing at all at 33yrs old and with his past of injuries that wasn’t money well spent and we seen the results of that. Beane is a horrible gm in my opinion living off and riding Josh Allen back to wins! 

L O l @thinking that the diggs  it was a bad trade

You have just completely lost it

It’s your kind of broke dick thinking that would’ve kept us missing the playoffs

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Which shows how good Allen is. This is a bottom 5 roster without Josh.

Beane has hit way less than 57% on FA and draft picks. He is hitting way below the mendoza line

We’ll agree to disagree as there are some who either don’t understand nor possibly with McDermott’s defensive philosophy, and per DVOA we’ve had to #1 defense for awhile.  Part of that’s is finding depth and developing of which McBrane has done both.

Offensively he did the best he could to keep improving the line, and hit on Dawkins, Morse and I believe in Brown.  His back and neck injuries kept him from year 1 to year 2 when it’s critical for a lineman.  Most linemen grow over the first three years.

Knox was developed over three years, Diggs was the equivalent of a 1st RD pick who was not the same in MN, and was a 5th RD pick.  Single tart was developed to be an effective RB,

but took time.  Cook showed signs in the 2nd half of a budding, explosive RB, and with motor probably testing the market Hines increasing his role in 23.

Does he need to do more with less or restructuring a number of contracts to signing bonuses to extend who we want like for them Tremaine as they believe in him.

Given in 17 Whaley was fired the day after the draft and Beane magically was immediately hired, if you don’t think he and McD had a plan on the DL, that had nothing to do with Whaley.  They just can’t ever acknowledge it as breaks league rules.

The man was just GM of the year voted on by his peers.  I’ll take their opinion over fans anyway if the week.  It’s not like the pro bowl popularity contest or top 100.

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

L O l @thinking that the diggs  it was a bad trade

You have just completely lost it

It’s your kind of broke dick thinking that would’ve kept us missing the playoffs

Go check my record here bud I’ve gotten more players right then Beane that’s for sure. Btw weren’t u a Tyrod fan ! lol. Go see what I was saying about about Patty Mahomes in Jan 2017 .  Broke Dick thinking? U don’t know me man ! U live in Riverside I live in Miami go figure. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’ll agree to disagree as there are some who either don’t understand nor possibly with McDermott’s defensive philosophy, and per DVOA we’ve had to #1 defense for awhile.  Part of that’s is finding depth and developing of which McBrane has done both.

Offensively he did the best he could to keep improving the line, and hit on Dawkins, Morse and I believe in Brown.  His back and neck injuries kept him from year 1 to year 2 when it’s critical for a lineman.  Most linemen grow over the first three years.

Knox was developed over three years, Diggs was the equivalent of a 1st RD pick who was not the same in MN, and was a 5th RD pick.  Single tart was developed to be an effective RB,

but took time.  Cook showed signs in the 2nd half of a budding, explosive RB, and with motor probably testing the market Hines increasing his role in 23.

Does he need to do more with less or restructuring a number of contracts to signing bonuses to extend who we want like for them Tremaine as they believe in him.

Given in 17 Whaley was fired the day after the draft and Beane magically was immediately hired, if you don’t think he and McD had a plan on the DL, that had nothing to do with Whaley.  They just can’t ever acknowledge it as breaks league rules.

The man was just GM of the year voted on by his peers.  I’ll take their opinion over fans anyway if the week.  It’s not like the pro bowl popularity contest or top 100.

I think it's a mistake to say that Beane is not a good GM. The fact that the team has found a franchise QB and made six straight playoff appearances indicates he's better than mediocre. His regime has turned the Bills into a winning franchise. 

However, Beane does have flaws and has made several crucial mistakes along the way. Like mentioned, repeated poor draft picks, poor free agency pick ups, and lack of building a cohesive Oline. 

Beane has been very good at restructing contracts and manipulating the cap. Now, it seems like his options are more limited due to Allen's contract. 

In short, I think Beane is solid, smart, and pretty forthright. I really didn't like his last press conference. It was unlike Beane. Prior to that, his other press conferences seemed way more upbeat and contrite. It almost seemed as though he was saying "it is what it is." We need players to stay healthy, produce more, and improve. I didn't see a whole lot of optimism or a game plan going forward. Stay the course with the current coaches and hope all goes well because my hands are tied. 

Over the years, Beane has absolutely put the team in position to win and win it all. He deserves credit for that.

The Bills have failed to advance deep into the playoffs. Failed to represent the AFC and win a Super Bowl. Beane has to take plenty of blame for this. 

The ultimate goal is to win it all. The Bills have their franchise QB. The Bills have failed to surround Allen with the pieces to advance. I'd argue the coaching staff and management have played a major role in their failure. The window isn't closed but it certainly appears to be less open. 

In short, Beane is solid but seemingly falls short on the ultimate goal. I can see both sides of the argument. Staying the course doesn't bode well in my mind. 

Edited by newcam2012

30 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think it's a mistake to say that Beane is not a good GM. The fact that the team has found a franchise QB and made six straight playoff appearances indicates he's better than mediocre. His regime has turned the Bills into a winning franchise. 

However, Beane does have flaws and has made several crucial mistakes along the way. Like mentioned, repeated poor draft picks, poor free agency pick ups, and lack of building a cohesive Oline. 

Beane has been very good at restructing contracts and manipulating the cap. Now, it seems like his options are more limited due to Allen's contract. 

In short, I think Beane is solid, smart, and pretty forthright. I really didn't like his last press conference. It was unlike Beane. Prior to that, his other press conference seemed way more upbeat and contrite. It almost seemed as though he was saying "it is what it is." We need players to stay healthy, produce more, and improve. I didn't see a whole lot of optimism or a game plan going forward. Stay the course with the current coaches and hope all goes well because my hands are tied. 

Over the years, Beane has absolutely put the team in position to win and win it all. He deserves credit for that.

The Bills have failed to advance deep into the playoffs. Failed to represent the AFC and win a Super Bowl. Beane has to take plenty of blame for this. 

The ultimate goal is to win it all. The Bills have their franchise QB. The Bills have failed to surround Allen with the pieces to advance. I'd argue the coaching staff and management have played a major role in their failure. The window isn't closed but it certainly appears to be less open. 

In short, Beane is solid but seemingly falls short on the ultimate goal. I can see both sides of the argument. Staying the course doesn't bode well in my mind. 

That I can buy.  We’ll written.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Go check my record here bud I’ve gotten more players right then Beane that’s for sure. Btw weren’t u a Tyrod fan ! lol. Go see what I was saying about about Patty Mahomes in Jan 2017 .  Broke Dick thinking? U don’t know me man ! U live in Riverside I live in Miami go figure. 

A broken clock is right twice a day

At some point, Beane has to be judged on something beyond having drafted Josh 5 years ago.  Here's what has happened since then:

Year one: Missed playoffs

Year two: Lost in wild card round (overtime)

Year three: Lost in AFCCG (blowout)

Year four: Lost in div. round (overtime)

Year five: Lost in div. round (blowout)

So there you are.  Five seasons, four playoff games won, and a pretty well defined arc of postseason results.   

The question then becomes whether or not these results are acceptable five years after making that pick.  The follow up would be what direction the team is currently headed.  

Beane has been underwhelming in drafting and personnel in general. Having said that, it’s hard to criticize him with what the team has accomplished over his tenure. Now however, we are in danger of not taking the steps necessary to maximize our ultra talented, generational QB and get to the SB. Also, with the rest of AFCE. getting better, we could be moving backward if he can’t overcome the misused cap space that would restrict acquiring pieces. The great young GM now faces the pressure of taking this team to the next level or being responsible for slipping back into mediocrity. If there is slippage, the fan base should not be forgiving and preach patience. We are on the clock with Josh’s prime.

On 2/19/2023 at 4:54 AM, Tipster19 said:

This may increase his percentage of success in finding better talent, hopefully it takes more risk out of his selections. The only thing left for acquiring better talent this year seems to be the draft. Right now finding quality of player is the biggest challenge facing McBeane during their tenure imo.

He should move back...picks are not guaranteed...more picks equals more chances.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think we should be going the exact opposite direction

Unless there is a sure fire, first round, or they’re at 27 trade down and get more at bats

Was just going to say this. Beane has been downright horrid drafting in rounds 1 and 2. Trade them both for more 4th-6th rounders where he does a bit better. We have too many needs: MLB, safeties, whole OL, TE, and WR2. More picks the better. 

Edited by Saint Doug

On 2/19/2023 at 7:21 PM, newcam2012 said:

In short, I think Beane is solid, smart, and pretty forthright. I really didn't like his last press conference. It was unlike Beane. Prior to that, his other press conferences seemed way more upbeat and contrite. It almost seemed as though he was saying "it is what it is." We need players to stay healthy, produce more, and improve. I didn't see a whole lot of optimism or a game plan going forward. Stay the course with the current coaches and hope all goes well because my hands are tied. 

Yeah Beane can't live on the Allen/Diggs picks forever. Because if he doesn't start hitting on some of these other picks, having Josh & Stefon won't matter.

• Agree 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:22 AM, Billl said:

At some point, Beane has to be judged on something beyond having drafted Josh 5 years ago.  Here's what has happened since then:

Year one: Missed playoffs

Year two: Lost in wild card round (overtime)

Year three: Lost in AFCCG (blowout)

Year four: Lost in div. round (overtime)

Year five: Lost in div. round (blowout)

So there you are.  Five seasons, four playoff games won, and a pretty well defined arc of postseason results.   

The question then becomes whether or not these results are acceptable five years after making that pick.  The follow up would be what direction the team is currently headed.

Bingo. “13 seconds” was the end of their ascension. Credit for becoming a playoff team, but they’re no longer a championship contender. The roster is a mess. The question is: how long is this plateau before a cliff or change?

Edited by Airseven
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.