If you could do only one thing to improve the team for next season

Don Otreply

You ask for one thing but I can't fire anyone?  That's stupid.

The 1 thing I would do, BY FAR, would be to get an experienced play caller in here to be the OC.

And that would necessitate firing Dorsey.

I think that is, by far, the 1 single move that would improve this team the MOST next season.

Secondary would be to do anything that improves the offensive line.

Third would be to get another stud receiver to share the burden with Diggs.

This isn't rocket science.

Last thing I would do is tinker with the defense.

• Agree 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

The 1 thing I would do, BY FAR, would be to get an experienced play caller in here to be the OC.

I think that is, by far, the 1 single move that would improve this team the MOST next season.

I thought maybe the Bills should look to bring in Frank Reich as OC when he was available. But that can't happen now since he is the HC of Carolina. 

50 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

So trading for Mahomes compensates for all that?

44 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yes.

I can agree that Mahomes seems to be better than Allen, but if he could single-handedly compensate for a porous O-line and a defense that chokes in the playoffs, then he'd have three or four rings instead of two.

The question is whether Mahomes is truly better than Allen, or if he simply benefits from solid protection and throwing to the best TE in the league right now. If Mahomes had to carry the team on his shoulders, would he play hero ball and throw more picks the way Josh does? Conversely, if Josh had KC's line and offensive weapons, would he be more calm and methodical in the pocket?

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I can agree that Mahomes seems to be better than Allen, but if he could single-handedly compensate for a porous O-line and a defense that chokes in the playoffs, then he'd have three or four rings instead of two.

The question is whether Mahomes is truly better than Allen, or if he simply benefits from solid protection and throwing to the best TE in the league right now. If Mahomes had to carry the team on his shoulders, would he play hero ball and throw more picks the way Josh does? Conversely, if Josh had KC's line and offensive weapons, would he be more calm and methodical in the pocket?

That question is answered my man.

Patrick Mahomes = 2x SB MVP, 2x regular season MVP, 2x SB Champion.

Josh Allen = Really good qb.

Complaining about o-line is such a lazy, tired take from teams that couldn't get it done. Allen's o-line was mediocre - they weren't atrocious like this board would have you believe. We still had the 3rd highest YPC despite not having an elite runner, and our offense only gave 0.1s less of pocket time per play than KC did for Mahomes. Allen also had less hurries and knockdowns than Mahomes with 7 more sacks.

We need a new excuse, because this team wasn't a winning a Super Bowl with The Great Wall of Dallas.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

" dump a bunch of resources into the o-line " 

seems like more than one thing.  

as much as I like Dawson Knox, at 6ft 4 he plays much smaller than the Eagle's Goedert at 6 ft 5 and of course Travis Kelce, also 6ft 5.  

I know they do not grow on trees but that formula really works and has worked for a long time.  An upgrade to a dominant TE is what I would do.  As for who, I do not know.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Isn't a part of this a better mesh between the GM and the HC/OC. 

If Dorsey and Allen are aggressive, that's okay, if Beane can get the correct type of WRs on this roster. 

There has been a lot of Allen needs to take the check downs that are available, but what if the other way is explored? 

Get more explosive WRs so that you can run an offense that makes the other team defend every blade of grass. 

We can't do that right now because past Diggs, every other WR we have has a limited skill set. Gabe runs two routes and is 4.54 on a good day, Isaiah McKenzie is not reliable and gets lost because of his size, Beasley is 34 years old and hovers around 9-10 ypc now, Shakir was a rookie so McDermott is still understanding who he is as a person (he said this in a press conference about Kaiir Elam late in the season), and there is nothing after that worth talking about. 

Diggs has just enough deep speed to enable the bomb, but he's more a route tactician. 

What if the Bills drafted for speed, a Jalin Hyatt in Round 1, Zay Flowers, making a trade to get more vertical speed on the roster? 

I think Dorsey would look better with a consistent slot WR, and Gabe moving back to the #4 role in the offense. It's a big ask, but I don't think a Frank Reich suddenly makes Gabe Davis stop on a dime better. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Need to put an adult in the room on offense that forces QB1 to take chain moving completions situationally….  

that will help:

- the o line

- the running game

- the deep shots

- the defense 

We averaged a 1st down every 2.83 plays this year. Last year it was every 2.87 plays. We were also better on 3rd down this year over last year 50.26% vs 46.40% and 4th down 53.85% vs 50.0%. Can't get any better than finishing #1 in 3rd down percentage in the league.

We were worse last year on every level, so my biggest question would be where were all the complaints about this last year?

1 minute ago, par73 said:

If we could include firing here, obviously I would look at the defensive coaches. I would have done that last year, though.

I'm repeating my shoutbox shout, McD/Frazier Secondary play is Second to none when D is HEALTHY.

Can it make the difference vs high powered O's?

Yes, I believe it can... 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

We averaged a 1st down every 2.83 plays this year. Last year it was every 2.87 plays. We were also better on 3rd down this year over last year 50.26% vs 46.40% and 4th down 53.85% vs 50.0%. Can't get any better than finishing #1 in 3rd down percentage in the league.

We were worse last year on every level, so my biggest question would be where were all the complaints about this last year?

Now do the the cinci game

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe Doresy can be that adult…. But I agree I’m outta patience. 

Andrew Luck retired after his seventh season… Cam Newton fell off a cliff at age 28

Agreed and RG3 was a 1 season wonder. I don’t think Dorsey can even be an adult so we might be in some trouble. 

Just now, Rebel101 said:

Agreed and RG3 was a 1 season wonder. I don’t think Dorsey can even be an adult so we might be in some trouble. 

In my opinion this coaching staff & management have failed on multiple different fronts. Wyatt Teller, the 10th overall pick, Hodgins, a lot of draft pieces & money in general on the DLine n it’s not producing, revamped the OLine atleast 3 times when continuity is key, and this is not even discussing the gameday management, schemes, & strategy. 🥺

• Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, Figster said:

I'm repeating my shoutbox shout, McD/Frazier Secondary play is Second to none when D is HEALTHY.

Can it make the difference vs high powered O's?

Yes, I believe it can... 

Other than White, they were ok going into the KC game last year.

11 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Offensive line play is the most obvious answer. 

I mean the people assembling the OLine have to start being blamed no? How many times we gonna redo the OLine? Clearly the pieces they are implementing arent working, so let’s keep letting them figure it out right. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Draft the best OG in the 2023 draft.

I'm torn and heres why, I'm not sure what this would take. Or what Buffalo may have to give If interested. Combined with Josh Allens big arm, this one player alters the way every D in the league trys to defend the Bills. Almost Imediate high impact addition/ player IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I'm torn and heres why, I'm not sure what this would take. Or what Buffalo may have to give If interested. Combined with Josh Allens big arm, this one player alters the way every D in the league trys to defend the Bills. Almost Imediate high impact addition/ player IMO. 

Wait….I’m all for adding some playmakers cheap, but will we just keep him on the PS until he’s poached? 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.