Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting J. Allen's talent?

Chaos

Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?

• On Track to Winning Championships
    • Wasting Josh Allen's Talent
    • False Choice Question, Allen Does Not Have the Talent to Win Championships.
    • Any Changes in Management will Likely Result in a 17 Year Playoff Drought

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/2023 at 07:21 PM

My concern is McDermott is emotionally and intellectually stuck in rebuild mode, and won't be able to further the team beyond that mentality.

IMO it takes a certain type of leadership to rebuild a franchise and another to win a Super Bowl and I am unsure as to whether McDermott can make that transition.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s not an over-reaction after the last 3 playoff losses to think this coaching staff can’t get it done.  KC made our defense look as bad in 2020 as cincy did this year.  Then KC went on to the Super Bowl and Tampa’s D destroyed them.  Cincy’s Offense looked very average against the Ravens before us and KC after us and made us look like clowns.   And 13 seconds speaks for itself.   

I’m sorry, it’s not an over-reaction to have no belief in this coaching staff to be Super Bowl caliber especially on the defensive side.  

• Like (+1) 7

Last year, they were on a roll (Allen was especially hot), and then 13 seconds happened. This year, they were struggling (as was the QB) heading into the playoffs, and got blown out. I am very concerned at this point that this coaching staff-- with no changes, will get the team to the SB (McDermott only defensive coach in the playoffs, and his/Frazier's D has been awful in the postseason).

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, par73 said:

Last year, they were on a roll (Allen was especially hot), and then 13 seconds happened. This year, they were struggling (as was the QB) heading into the playoffs, and got blown out. I am very concerned at this point that this coaching staff-- with no changes, will get the team to the SB (McDermott only defensive coach in the playoffs, and his/Frazier's D has been awful in the postseason).

They were 13-3 in a season where the secondary was decimated by injuries, they went through two major blizzards and lost a home game because of that and had a teammate nearly die on the field.  I cannot even imagine what that must have been like.  They lost to a very good Bengals team and lost badly, but I think part of that was mental exhaustion from the Hamlin injury and having to struggle so hard throughout the year.  

Yes, outside of the above the team has weaknesses and I am confident that they will try to address them within the constraints of the cap and picking late in every round of the draft.  I think they will try to give Allen more weapons to work with - I am sure that is what they were trying to do by acquiring Cook, Hines and Crowder.  They may have overestimated Gabe Davis and McKenzie and underestimated the poor state of the OL, but I believe they tried.  

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

My concern is McDermott is emotionally and intellectually stuck in rebuild mode, and won't be able to further the team beyond that mentality.

IMO it takes a certain type of leadership to rebuild a franchise and another to win a Super Bowl and I am unsure as to whether McDermott can make that transition.

I think it is the fans who get stuck emotionally.  NFL football is a game where everyone has to follow the same rules.  Some people are just better at the game than others.   For example, this is the Rams situation Sean McVay walked into in 2017:

image.png.94ade2467e4190fe51c8148691014c57.png

He is good at football coaching, 2 NFC Championships and 1 Super Bowl during his first four years.  This followed a thirteen year playoff drought, and without the benefit of an elite QB.  

Zac Taylor came into this situation following 15 years of Marvin Lewis Mediocrity. 

image.thumb.png.975e85b7de27da2827f9bcb39c3b78ea.png
He appeared in two AFC championship games his first four seasons winning one.  

Bills had so many horrible coaches, that some people actually think the standard NFL new hire is simply horrible, and that is nearly impossible to have a good hire.  The Bills history skews the thinking.

I don't know that a McDermott replacement would be better, but I would be shocked if the results were worse, as long as Josh Allen remains healthy. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They were 13-3 in a season where the secondary was decimated by injuries, they went through two major blizzards and lost a home game because of that and had a teammate nearly die on the field.  I cannot even imagine what that must have been like.  They lost to a very good Bengals team and lost badly, but I think part of that was mental exhaustion from the Hamlin injury and having to struggle so hard throughout the year.  

Yes, outside of the above the team has weaknesses and I am confident that they will try to address them within the constraints of the cap and picking late in every round of the draft.  I think they will try to give Allen more weapons to work with - I am sure that is what they were trying to do by acquiring Cook, Hines and Crowder.  They may have overestimated Gabe Davis and McKenzie and underestimated the poor state of the OL, but I believe they tried.  

They acquired Hines who is a great back out of the back field and a pass catcher.  Guess what this great coaching staff did with him and his large salary? They didn't throw him the ball or have him involved in the offense. How much confidence does that give you?

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Same garbage different day.  Pathetic really.  Who drafted JA and took the franchise out of the gutter. 

58 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

While lining their pockets. Nothing will change. We're all sold on hope i guess 

What team does not want to make money in professional sports.  Do our top of the line facilities make it seem they dont give a *****? 

56 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They acquired Hines who is a great back out of the back field and a pass catcher.  Guess what this great coaching staff did with him and his large salary? They didn't throw him the ball or have him involved in the offense. How much confidence does that give you?

Not a complete excuse, but

1. coming to a new team mid-season meant that he had to learn a whole new offense and develop relationships with his new teammates

2. He was also playing Special Teams which drew some of his attention away from learning the new offense

3. The OL was really struggling so RBs needed to be held in to block more often than usual 

4. Singletary and Cook were both playing well ahead of him

Do you really think that they purposely drafted Cook and traded for Hines, both pass catching backs, and then forgot about using them?  I think more likely, circumstances like the above made incorporating the backs into the passing game difficult.

Specifically regarding Hines, imagine starting a new job at a different company.  Do you think you will understand everything and perform all roles immediately?

• Disagree 1

I have lost faith in Frazier's defense.

The only sniff he has had at a championship was riding Dungy's coattails with Indy as an assistant in 2006.

Just feels like he fields a decent unit that relies on a system discipline that does not present issues for better teams to successfully plan against and attack.

Hence why our defense is a sieve in those bigger games. He gets outcoached.

I am not reacting in a knee-jerk way. Just look at the numbers with our defense in big games.

If the Bills are truly an Org that holds players and coaches accountable... and objectively review performance, at some point they have to ask the question could that coordinator position be improved?

If they are not asking that question, they should be.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Same garbage different day.  Pathetic really.  Who drafted JA and took the franchise out of the gutter. 

What team does not want to make money in professional sports.  Do our top of the line facilities make it seem they dont give a *****? 

20 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Look you can respond like you have no disappointment in the way things have gone. I wish I was like you. Im Not saying at all they don't " give a *****". But if we are going to assume things let's just say that I feel like the coaching staff is full of ego. For 3 years in a row our defense has not been able to get the job done in Big games. Yeah Josh is great, but the coaching staff absolutely did not know he was going to be. None of us can act like this team did us a favor. They took a chance in a guy and they hit BIG. Im glad they did. But now I think they are wasting his talent. If by showing us they care is giving the team a great training facility..ok , awesome. How about they show us they care by actually building an Oline to protect Josh. Not just one year deals to castoffs from other teams. The thread is about my gut instinct. I gave it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think McDermott as CEO of a team and building culture has done good job despite some questions regarding his coaching on game days. However, I am starting to lose faith if he is the person to get team over the hump and it starts with his defense.

I can live with the growing pains on offense with Dorsey being a new coordinator and numbers not being that different from when Daboll was here. Do think he needs to reign in Josh a little bit more in regards to the turnovers and knowing when to take chances in a game. They need to focus in the offseason on developing viable run game which has been problem for years. Pegulas should look into bringing Greg Roman in as a consultant to help assist Dorsey on that front and leave no stone unturned.

On defense believe issue lies with play caller and not the defense in particular. To me McDermott needs to take ownership and take over the play calling on game day. If Frazier wants to leave on his own accord since it doesn’t appear McDermott is willing to fire him so be it.

22 minutes ago, WideNine said:

could that coordinator position be improved?

That is the correct question about all of the coaching positions.  Many Bill's fans carry scars and are only willing to ask the question:  Could the coaching be worse? 

It seems at this time the Bills as an organization are willing to let "very good" be the enemy of "excellent"

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Look you can respond like you have no disappointment in the way things have gone. I wish I was like you. Im Not saying at all they don't " give a *****". But if we are going to assume things let's just say that I feel like the coaching staff is full of ego. For 3 years in a row our defense has not been able to get the job done in Big games. Yeah Josh is great, but the coaching staff absolutely did not know he was going to be. None of us can act like this team did us a favor. They took a chance in a guy and they hit BIG. Im glad they did. But now I think they are wasting his talent. If by showing us they care is giving the team a great training facility..ok , awesome. How about they show us they care by actually building an Oline to protect Josh. Not just one year deals to castoffs from other teams. The thread is about my gut instinct. I gave it. 

It's an interesting opinion.  One I do not agree with besides the OL issues we had.  So they dont get any credit for drafting talent like JA, but they get all the criticism if they dont hit.  If you dont understand how this year played out based on many factors then we just dont agree.  The idea that you can just bring in new coach and GM every few years cause you dont win the SB is not really not how you achieve success.  Am I ok if they move on from Frazier and Dorsey?  Sure.  But I am not in this constant negative loop people on here are attached to.  It's way too easy to call 31 teams a year a failure. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That is a perfectly fair concern. I don't know that the results are in on it, but I don't think that is an unreasonable thing to wonder. Being a good turnaround coach is not the same as being a coach that can become a winner. Jim Harbaugh is an example of that. 

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

These are some very measured opinions, and agreed.

This is an overreaction from a bunch of guys who are upset about an embarrassing loss and we deserved to lose the way we played.  I’ll agree Frasier needs to go.

I think it’s a combination of complete failure on the highest of levels and also realization as presently constructed this variation of the Bills will not win it all. Also people understand that this regime is not capable of changing and learning from past mistakes and they won’t change a thing . Keeping the Coordinators on board is a example of this we will keep drafting players that fit Frasier and Dorsey schemes . I truly believe if McD would’ve canned Frazier and Dorsey the fan base would be applauding him but instead he choose to double down on his guys. At the end of the day the Captain will go down with the ship ! 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.