Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting J. Allen's talent?

Chaos

Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?

• On Track to Winning Championships
    • Wasting Josh Allen's Talent
    • False Choice Question, Allen Does Not Have the Talent to Win Championships.
    • Any Changes in Management will Likely Result in a 17 Year Playoff Drought

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/2023 at 07:21 PM

To my read opinions of posters on TBD are split on the Bills general direction.  One group thinks the Bills should stay the course and keeping doing the same things and that through some experience/maturation process the Bills will get better results.  The second group thinks the coaching staff has peaked and won't be able to do further in the playoffs than it has.   There is a smaller group that seems to think coaching changes automatically results in disaster and as long as your current coaches are competent NFL coaches and you don't should tempt the fates with a change. 

I am in the second group.  I am not sure thinking team McDermott has peaked means "fire everybody", but I feel like any further failure to progress means something should change. 

I may be guilty of overrating Josh Allen, but I think any current NFL coaching staff would get the Bills 2022 Roster to the playoffs, simply because Allen is that good.  So the goals have to be set higher than that. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

• Chaos changed the title to Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting J. Allen's talent?

I would have gone with on track to winning a championship, but McBeane's refusal to hold Frasier responsible for his 4th defensive meltdown in the playoffs leads me to believe they lack either the stomach or awareness to make the changes that need to be made.

This team has gone as far as it can defensively under Frasier and I hope OBD see that before it's too late

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Voted on track to winning SB but that's not what I think.

I think neither of them is an obstacle to do so. They are both doing good job. But it's not enough to win SB in a league with 32 teams and 6-7 each year capable of winning it all. 

You need right circumstances and luck. We didn't have it last two years. And maybe we will never have. 

They are making mistakes, everybody is. But they are not wasting Allen. I might say that about Beane next year if he doesn't try (big time) to assemble better OL this offseason. We'll see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Too many holes on the roster especially considering the cap situation. Too stuck on their defensive scheme. It it’s old, tired and played out! And the better the o line and D line and get a legit wr2. 

now you also have Edmund’s and poyers shoes to fill. 

how are you going to do that with the cap situation? good luck!

A 13-3 team is already in rebuilding mode.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They blew it with 13 seconds. They were good end of last year and beginning of this year. That was their window of opportunity. That's on the coaches

Last year I thought it was obvious we would have gone on to beat the Bengals and Rams, except for that blunder.  But I no longer think that is obvious. It is likely the Bengals would have beaten us just like they beat the Chiefs.  And Miller and Donald would have killed us in the Super Bowl had we got by the Bengals.  The net result is last year was a regression from the previous year, dropping from the final four to the final eight.  This year we stayed pat being in the top 8, but ended the season with a massive beatdown, so it felt like a regression. 

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Check the board for the first time since the Bengals game.. And you’re telling me that so far 70% of people (19-8 in the poll currently) think there’s a better chance that we don’t win a championship under McBeane and Allen? 

It was a rough playoff loss and embarrassing coaching, true. 

McDermott is still a top 8 coach in the league, true. 

Allen is still a top 3 quarterback in the league, true. 

McDermott & Allen are still a top 5 QB/Coach combo in the league, true. 

The first statement can be true at the same time as the next three. It’s unfortunate the way we lost, and it was outright embarrassing for the organization and the city & fans that invest their lives into this team for 5-6 months of the year, and others that do year round. But the amount of criticism I’ve seen surrounding Allen/McBeane since this loss is borderline unfathomable. Confidence and faith should still be very high that these guys bring us atleast 1 Lombardi, if not more.

I was having the same meltdown the day after the game, and maybe even a couple after that. But come on, it’s 2 weeks later. Level yourselves. The Bills are still in a very elite class of the NFL and have turned into a model organization. It’ll come. 

And on that note, I guess I’ll have to keep TBD out of my search bar a little longer if this is still the direction conversations are trending 😭 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

I know I've gone on and have been on McD since year one particularly from the minute he named Peterman the starter vs. SD.

I can list everything I've questioned and getting fed up with "The Process" and other catchphrases used here.

I too have said he has grown on me, but I still see so many little things that bother me and have stated them over and over in numerous threads and posts.

However, there really is no compelling reason to let him go and while we can question him retaining Frazier & Dorsey, I too understand it.

Look as fans we all want a SB victory and for the foreseeable future with Josh Allen if it happens it will probably be with McD.

I for one don't want a 9-8 2023 season and a firing.  I want 14-3, the #1 seed and the SB. 

Sorry I don't want to see a step back so the Bills can move two steps forward, because that will mean 2023 more countless threads & posts pointing out every mistake the coaching staff has made. 

So let's hope he has learned and it is not just lip service, as have Frazier & Dorsey, that the draft and FA shows commitment to the O and that 365 days from now we're talking about the upcome SB and not how the Bills should have done this or that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, elijah said:

Check the board for the first time since the Bengals game.. And you’re telling me that so far 70% of people (19-8 in the poll currently) think there’s a better chance that we don’t win a championship under McBeane and Allen? 

It was a rough playoff loss and embarrassing coaching, true. 

Allen is still a top 3 quarterback in the league, true. 

McDermott & Allen are still a top 5 QB/Coach combo in the league, true. 

The first statement can be true at the same time as the next three. It’s unfortunate the way we lost, and it was outright embarrassing for the organization and the city & fans that invest their lives into this team for 5-6 months of the year, and others that do year round. But the amount of criticism I’ve seen surrounding Allen/McBeane since this loss is borderline unfathomable. Confidence and faith should still be very high that these guys bring us atleast 1 Lombardi, if not more.

I was having the same meltdown the day after the game, and maybe even a couple after that. But come on, it’s 2 weeks later. Level yourselves. The Bills are still in a very elite class of the NFL and have turned into a model organization. It’ll come. 

And on that note, I guess I’ll have to keep TBD out of my search bar a little longer if this is still the direction conversations are trending 😭 

You're leaving out a glaring omission with your post....Offensive and Defensive Lines.  I have not been impressed with this regime's ability to stock up the trenches on either side of the ball.  Until Beane shows he's capable of building much better lines I can't see them getting over the hurdle to winning the whole thing. 

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

To my read opinions of posters on TBD are split on the Bills general direction.  One group thinks the Bills should stay the course and keeping doing the same things and that through some experience/maturation process the Bills will get better results.  The second group thinks the coaching staff has peaked and won't be able to do further in the playoffs than it has.   There is a smaller group that seems to think coaching changes automatically results in disaster and as long as your current coaches are competent NFL coaches and you don't should tempt the fates with a change. 

I am in the second group.  I am not sure thinking team McDermott has peaked means "fire everybody", but I feel like any further failure to progress means something should change. 

I may be guilty of overrating Josh Allen, but I think any current NFL coaching staff would get the Bills 2022 Roster to the playoffs, simply because Allen is that good.  So the goals have to be set higher than that. 

Bills fans are not an accurate group of people to ask about coaching changes.

Why?  Because we have been a lousy franchise for most of our existence, and most of our coaching regimes have been TERRIBLE.  This makes Bills fans think that getting a hold of a good coach is nearly impossible, and that we really lucked out when McDermott and Beane came along.  

Further, these fans reason, it'll probably never happen again!  How many coaches have we seen of McDermott's caliber in the history of the team?  This is not the right way to think.

Meanwhile, outside the Bills fandom bubble, other franchises remain consistently at the top and make coaching changes as needed.   

The Eagles are about to win their SECOND SB in a handful of years, with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT REGIME that won back in 2018!  Different QB too! Different everything! 

Look at the Bengals!  Lots of successes--to a degree--for FIFTEEN YEARS with Marvin Lewis..but never got the job done.

They finally cave in, bring in a new administration, move on from Dalton, and look at what the team has become NOW....

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take 2 or 3 forward.

5 minutes ago, elijah said:

How in the world would you arrive at that conclusion?  As a game manager, he's middling at best.

Are you suggesting his ability to run a great prayer group?  Or give a nice speech before practices? 

It was recently suggested that Denver's hire of Sean Payton is worth 1 win in the regular season, simply by having him as their head coach.  

I'd suggest McDermott is worth 1 loss, simply by having him run the team on the sidelines during games for an entire season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Moments after the Bengals game ended, I said changes are needed, but will not happen.

And now that's official.  We are headed for a minor regression next year--we'll be good, we'll win a lot of games, we'll kick the crap out of some 4 win team early in the year...but we'll bow out of the playoffs at the same spot or earlier next season...and our record will be a few losses greater next season.

And another year of Josh's career will be gone. And the heat will grow.

We'll probably see the coordinator changes NEXT season....and then more kool aid drinkers will start to think "Maybe it really is McDermott!"

It's tough going into an entire season thinking "there's not much to see here."

The upward trajectory this franchise has had for several years now is gone.

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

What ever happened to TRUST THE PROCESS?

:cry:

Some of us knew that was crap from the beginning.

🤷‍♂️

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't think we can be certain that McD and Beane are the equivalent of Marty Schottenheimer or Marvin Lewis, but this year has tilted in that direction. Maybe they prove the negativity wrong. I don't think that is impossible, but I also don't think it's likely at this point. The league is built for offense. The rules are enforced for offense. The teams with offensive coaches are thriving more in today's game. No more relegating resources primarily to the defense. Build a bully oline, add talent where Josh Allen is a force multiplier. Any plan with a different priority is trending towards good regular season coach who fizzles out in the playoffs. Unfortunately, while I trust these fellas to create a winning culture, the edge you need to capture championships requires more than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Let’s eliminate Brandon Beane from

this topic because he’s just the finance guy.

This is Sean McDermott’s team and organization. He’s the Pegula’s son.

He is 100% wasting Josh Allen. He’s 100% a mediocre coach that got lucky his first year to sneak into the playoffs in the first place. I believe that team had a turnover differential of something so abnormal it was nfl history. O, and the Dalton miracle on 4th down helped too. The wins starting coming when #17 was drafted. Did he draft Josh? If so, that’s the only thing he lucked up on.

We are 100% not winning a Super Bowl with this clown on the sidelines clapping. His record is so flawed it hurts. Brady left, AFC East QB’s have been atrocious, and Josh Allen has bailed his butt out countless times. Good luck to you all believing we are going somewhere with him. I’ll be here next offseason when we’re eliminated to say I told you so again. I was on record wanting his freakin butt left in KC after 13 seconds last year. It’s an absolute organization failure that will live along time until we win one that we let this clown come back and to top it off, let WNY homegrown BRIAN DABOLL walk out the building. Pathetic.

McDermott, Frazier, and Dorsey = mediocre coaches living behind a generational talent at the most important position in football.

I’ll gladly come back on here and eat crow if I’m wrong. I hope I am wrong about McClappy but I’m not. Whenever he punted in the snow years ago for a tie I knew then he was Dick Jauron 2.0.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.