Allen’s Elbow - Golfing

Thrivefourfive

On 1/30/2023 at 5:05 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

I’m not about to criticize the man for playing a round or four of golf is he feels fine to do it. But … remember the stories about how Josh kicked back and didn’t think about football at all last offseason?  You may be on to something here. Perhaps just a tiny bit too comfortable with where he and the Bills really were this season. 

A. He doesn't block for himself,

B. He doesn't play on the defensive line that couldn't touch Burrow, and

C. His effort and preparation is something NOBODY should EVER question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

On 1/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Interesting he was pretty hush about the Pro Bowl when Kyle Brandt asked him if he was going to attend or even head back to California.  Not surprised too see he is already over there and  gearing up to play THE At&T Pebble Pro Am.

From my point of view let it heal over the offseason and I kind of hope he goes back to Jordan Palmer. The year he worked out with him he came back with better footwork and was really moving defenders with his eyes.   This year he didn't work with him and I thought he got a little bit sloppy at times. Also it could very well be attributed to a bad O-Line and having no confidence they would provide him time.. 

Maybe this has been addressed since page 1, but I was unaware that Allen did NOT work with his personal QB coach last off-season. Where did you learn that? I listened to Jordan Palmer interviewed on WGR just a few weeks ago, in the lead-up to the Bengals playoff game, wherein he talked about his experiences working with BOTH Allen and Burrow (in a way that seemed to suggest ongoing relationships). 

I KEEP being reminded that Allen's performances in the playoffs last season. which were historically unprecedented, REALLY unmoored the expectations for him (and Gabriel Davis) moving forward. Some early season 2022 elite-ness just reinforced the heightened expectations. There WAS, in fact, an 8-ish game stretch, spanning from the end of 2021 through the first 5-6 weeks of 2022, wherein Josh Allen was playing HISTORICALLY ELITE QB. Minus the 2 poopy INTs in the 1st half against the Rams, and the overall day against the Ravens in week 4 this past season, QB17 was performing in ways almost no one ever had. Then something happened against Green Bay. That something was probably a combination of under-represented injuries and a shift in how defenses played him, and his surprisingly stubborn, regressive responses to these new challenges. 

If ever Josh Allen needed some "come to Jesus" coaching moments, this offseason is it. Clear his head for a while, but then get back to the serious offseason work that was so essential in his previous, steady, multi-year ascension.

• Like (+1) 3

It all likely stems from his spleen needing to be removed, just sayin,

• Haha (+1) 1

Golfing and tennis are bad on your elbow. He's also a terrible golfer so I'm not sure what his fascination is with the sport. I'm not one to hit a ball and then chase after it but friends that do enjoy that sort of thing watched "the match" and said Joshy should stick to his day job

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Golfing and tennis are bad on your elbow. He's also a terrible golfer so I'm not sure what his fascination is with the sport. I'm not one to hit a ball and then chase after it but friends that do enjoy that sort of thing watched "the match" and said Joshy should stick to his day job

“terrible golfer” is harsh and not accurate. He is a great golfer. Yeah, he is not a pro and hitting par or under on a professional course. But I am betting he is a super low handicap based on what I have seen.  He wouldn’t even be allowed to play at these pro ams if he wasn’t a single handicapper. 

To each his own on golf. But I can say that it is an extraordinarily difficult sport, and that’s why these pro athletes love it. It is nearly impossible to truly master— always working to get better. 

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He's a well above average amateur golfer and does it for fun. 

Edited by Chaos

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

He's a well above average amateur golfer and does it for fun. 

The average golfer is old and completely unathletic so yes he may be better than average but that's not saying much. Golf is fine for us normal Joe's but if I was a world class athlete at something I would probably not enjoy being bad or average at something else that a normal guy down the street could beat me at

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The average golfer is old and completely unathletic so yes he may be better than average but that's not saying much. Golf is fine for us normal Joe's but if I was a world class athlete at something I would probably not enjoy being bad or average at something else that a normal guy down the street could beat me at

You seem like a fun guy. 

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's funny, because so many current and former athletes are obsessed with golf.  It's a game for life and it is about continuous improvement, and it's you vs. the course (and your mind).  If you have any aptitude for it, it is seriously addictive. We get it, you tried the game and sucked at it, and moved on 

And yes, Josh isn't ever going to be in the Tony Romo or John Smoltz class of golfer, but he's a good athlete, hits it a mile and seems dedicated to getting better.  No reason he can't eventually get down to low single digits or scratch.

3 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Is JA17 playing today? I see Mitchell his partner on top of leader board but no amateurs on course 

Haven't checked, but yes, he should be playing.  The coverage mostly sticks to the pros with the odd shot from an Am thrown in.

Josh is out there with Mitchell.  They just aren't showing the amateurs in the early coverage.   I watched him on the ESPN+ app, featured hole 7.  

He birdied the signature ocean hole 7 in the practice round.  30mph gust today. Just watched him double bogey the same hole.

They showed his stock yardages and we're gushing about it.  He goes driver 315 yards, 3 wood 285, 5 iron 220, 7 iron 190.  I forget the rest

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.