Singletary or Hines or neither?

Inigo Montoya

Motor is still one of the best blocking RB's in the game, until we fix the O-Line, might be worth it just for that. 

AJ Dillon, and Motor are the only 2 RB's ranked in top 10 for both run and pass block.

Longer term would be nice to have a thumper like Dillon on third and short to save some wear and tear on JA17

• Like (+1) 4

Neither, but I’m open to Hines if they have a plan for him as an actual RB. 

James Cook, maybe Hines and a Day 3 pick. 

Singletary is a perfect example of the “good, not great” players this staff pays far too much to litter all over the roster. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I would rather have Singlerary on Hines contract. I have no interest in paying Hines $4.7M and $5.4M to be a kick returner in our current cap situation. If you are going to be a $5M RB you better touch the ball more than 4 times per game.

I think $5M is a fair AAV for Singletary. 

Hines is only a kick returner because Dorsey doesn't seem to have a clue how to use a pass catching RB in the offense.  Same with Cook.  Why did we trade for Hines or draft a back like Cook in the first place then?

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Hines is only a kick returner because Dorsey doesn't seem to have a clue how to use a pass catching RB in the offense.  Same with Cook.  Why did we trade for Hines or draft a back like Cook in the first place then?

And Daboll didn't use Yeldon or Matt Breida either. McCoys receiving production was basically halves here compared to Philly. 

There is a continuous disconnect between the FO finding a receiving RB and the staff actually wanting one and it isn't specific to Dorsey. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

Bro, you're about to make some people spaz out on you. :lol:

Hahaha.  Just a bit of trolling.  

He’s definitely not my preference but if he’s the pick, I’ll get behind it rather than spending my time crying about it.  I’d be happy to have a possibly elite player at any position.

At the moment, I don’t think any of the WRs that will likely be available will ever be close to elite.  More like good WR2.  I don’t know much about the OL prospects atm.  I’d rather take a RB in rd 1 than take a Poyer or edmunds replacement.  If the WRs or OL available aren’t 1st rd grades, I’d rather draft the potentially elite RB.  

That said, Beane usually tries to fill our biggest holes prior to the draft.  Not sure if that will be possible this year, but I think we’ll have a much better idea of what we will and won’t be drafting come day one of the draft.  If we shift some resources around and add some upgrades at OL and/or WRs prior to the draft, it’s anyone’s guess who we take rd 1.  BPA at a positions the board detests drafting rd 1 will be in play.  

• Like (+1) 1

They'll keep Hines considering they invested a draft pick. He's earned the returner spot and hopefully Dorsey has an epiphany about his use in the offense. Singletary is gone via UFA (thanks and goodbye). 

Cook won't hold up as a bell cow, so they need to add another RB - likely a vet in free agency. Montgomery, Harris... 

Gilliam will return. Jones will be forgotten and then inevitably resurface from the dumpster in August.

I've said before that I don't believe in giving out second contracts to running backs unless they're either elite game changers (Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook) or big pieces of the passing offense (CMC, Kamara).

That said, as much as I like Singletary, I'm letting him walk.

If the Bills had oodles of cap space, then sure, re-sign him to a team friendly deal if he's willing. The free agent running back class this year is loaded, so maybe he doesn't get many big offers and signs back here for peanuts. But since the Bills DON'T have oodles of cap space and have bigger needs elsewhere and just spent a 2nd round pick on a running back, I'm saying "so long and thanks for the memories" to Motor.

Cook/Hines is a versatile and speedy duo. Draft a late round guy or bring in a few UDFAs to compete for the third running back spot. Perhaps someone with a little more size and pop in his pads, since Cook and Hines are both on the smaller side.

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

And Daboll didn't use Yeldon or Matt Breida either. McCoys receiving production was basically halves here compared to Philly. 

There is a continuous disconnect between the FO finding a receiving RB and the staff actually wanting one and it isn't specific to Dorsey. 

True, but Dorsey is the one calling the plays and Cook, Hines, and Motor are who we have.  Are we just going to keep trading/signing/drafting backs we don't use correctly based on their skills or actually start using them based on the reasoning used for getting them in the first place?  

If they can't even figure this out, I don't know how this team ever wins a championship.

Edited by Billz4ever

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hahaha.  Just a bit of trolling.  

He’s definitely not my preference but if he’s the pick, I’ll get behind it rather than spending my time crying about it.  I’d be happy to have a possibly elite player at any position.

At the moment, I don’t think any of the WRs that will likely be available will ever be close to elite.  More like good WR2.  I don’t know much about the OL prospects atm.  I’d rather take a RB in rd 1 than take a Poyer or edmunds replacement.  If the WRs or OL available aren’t 1st rd grades, I’d rather draft the potentially elite RB.  

That said, Beane usually tries to fill our biggest holes prior to the draft.  Not sure if that will be possible this year, but I think we’ll have a much better idea of what we will and won’t be drafting come day one of the draft.  If we shift some resources around and add some upgrades at OL and/or WRs prior to the draft, it’s anyone’s guess who we take rd 1.  BPA at a positions the board detests drafting rd 1 will be in play.  

A RB in the 1st and heads would explode on here. I like Bijan, but I think he goes before us in the 20's at the latest. Tampa, NY (depending on Barkley), Dallas seem like the most likely landing spots to me. There are a couple of WR's who may make it to us I can see being the pick. If not, I hope it will be someone worthy on the OL. We'll see. Combine, pro days, FA, a lot left to happen. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

A RB in the 1st and heads would explode on here. I like Bijan, but I think he goes before us in the 20's at the latest. Tampa, NY (depending on Barkley), Dallas seem like the most likely landing spots to me. There are a couple of WR's who may make it to us I can see being the pick. If not, I hope it will be someone worthy on the OL. We'll see. Combine, pro days, FA, a lot left to happen. 

If we didn't have the holes we have on the O-Line and a bunch of underperforming receivers, I'd be all about him, but right now, he'd be considered a want, not a need.

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

True, but Dorsey is the one calling the plays and Cook, Hines, and Motor are who we have.  Are we just going to keep trading/signing/drafting backs we don't use correctly based on their skills or actually start using them based on the reasoning used for getting them in the first place?  

If they can't even figure this out, I don't know how this team ever wins a championship.

I agree with you on the allocation or resources. It makes me frustrated with the FO, not necessarily the coaching staff. At least on this topic. I have frustrations with Dorsey too. 

The ingredients are not matching the meal and I don't get it. Barkley only had 330 yards receiving this year. 80% of the board thinks Frank Reich is the solution here and he didn't use Hines either. So WTF does Beane keep hunting this position down? Who is driving this initiative? 

• Agree 1

Motor Singletary is the most underutilized RB in the NFL.  Dude gets less than 10 carries a game, yet still averages 4.6/carry.  We should re-sign him, but I don't think it will happen.  I expect McBeane to lowball him, and he may take it, but if I were him, I'd look for a place where I could make money and play.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree with you on the allocation or resources. It makes me frustrated with the FO, not necessarily the coaching staff. At least on this topic. I have frustrations with Dorsey too. 

The ingredients are not matching the meal and I don't get it. Barkley only had 330 yards receiving this year. 80% of the board thinks Frank Reich is the solution here and he didn't use Hines either. So WTF does Beane keep hunting this position down? Who is driving this initiative? 

We also have to decide on what kind of running team we are.  You can use almost any game as an example, whether it's game we ran the ball well or games we didn't.

The O-Line is not good at sustaining blocks, so the running plays that are quick...snap, back gets the ball and bam, hits the hole and gets up field is how we had success running. The line isn't asked to hold blocks very long. It's the running plays that are slow to develop where we usually get little to nothing because the blockers can't sustain blocks long enough.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, H2o said:

Oh I agree.  Definitely hope Bijan is not the pick….but if he is…..what can we do except embrace it and hope it works out?  Oh yeah, we can whine and cry about it for years….. great way to spend our one chance @ life.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oh I agree.  Definitely hope Bijan is not the pick….but if he is…..what can we do except embrace it and hope it works out?  Oh yeah, we can whine and cry about it for years….. great way to spend our one chance @ life.

As opposed to the inherent lifetime value in watching men run around chasing another man with a ball? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.