Mt. Rushmore of 90s Bands

BillsPride12

Oh the 90s what a time it was!  An amazing time period for music that's for sure.  There's a lot of different ways you can go with this but for you personally what were your quintessential bands that defined the 90s music scene?  I'll start it off

Stone Temple Pilots

Soundgarden

Smashing Pumpkins

Sublime

*Total coincidence that all of my favorite bands from back then start with the letter S; that does not have to be part of the criteria 😄

• Like (+1) 1

In addition to all of the aforementioned bands:

Stone Temple Pilots

Jane's Addiction

Radiohead

Green Day

Weezer

Nine Inch Nails

Foo Fighters

Counting Crows

Red Hot Chili Peppers

EDIT:  Crap ... I need to pick four ...

Nirvana

Soundgarden

Alice in Chains

Jane's Addiction

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In addition to all of the aforementioned bands:

Stone Temple Pilots

Jane's Addiction

Radiohead

Green Day

Weezer

Nine Inch Nails

Foo Fighters

Counting Crows

Red Hot Chili Peppers

EDIT:  Crap ... I need to pick four ...

Nirvana

Soundgarden

Alice in Chains

Jane's Addiction

I know little about 90s rock... So as an outsider looking in I could differ foo fighters and Green day to the 00s.  Maybe even Weezer for this but their 00s was mostly sell out garbage. 

I'd put NIN into a high position based on their style being unlike most any other before.

As far as your top 4.... I can only name maybe 3 songs by the combined.  Heart shaped box, in the pines, and smells like teen spirit. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nirvana

Green Day

Fugees

Oasis

Honorable mention, if Noel & Liam can't play nice up there:

Garth Brooks

😆🤣... Digest that. 

when did the fugees start playing rock ?   I’ll be back with mine in a few.  

Fugees or Garth don’t belong here.   That’s r and b/rap and country 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, boyst said:

I know little about 90s rock... So as an outsider looking in I could differ foo fighters and Green day to the 00s.  Maybe even Weezer for this but their 00s was mostly sell out garbage. 

I'd put NIN into a high position based on their style being unlike most any other before.

As far as your top 4.... I can only name maybe 3 songs by the combined.  Heart shaped box, in the pines, and smells like teen spirit. 

I think Foo Fighters were at their cheesiest early on, actually - even though they've always been awesome.  Green Day's 90s stuff was gold, but yeah ... they definitely got weaker as they went on.  Weezer, to me, has been consistent.  Island in the Sun is super cheese, but it's almost tongue-in-cheek (and I love the song).  NIN definitely gets points for being truly alternative.

I feel good about my top 4.  I usually flip flop with these kinds of topics, but - for my own personal taste - I can't see swapping any of my top  4 out.

The 90s was a fantastic decade of music.  I think the 80s were an incredibly underrated decade of music, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Foo Fighters were at their cheesiest early on, actually - even though they've always been awesome.  Green Day's 90s stuff was gold, but yeah ... they definitely got weaker as they went on.  Weezer, to me, has been consistent.  Island in the Sun is super cheese, but it's almost tongue-in-cheek (and I love the song).  NIN definitely gets points for being truly alternative.

I feel good about my top 4.  I usually flip flop with these kinds of topics, but - for my own personal taste - I can't see swapping any of my top  4 out.

The 90s was a fantastic decade of music.  I think the 80s were an incredibly underrated decade of music, too.

The 60's thru the 90's had their share of great music. This century not so much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1. Pearl Jam             

2. Rage against the Machine 

3. Weezer

4. Smashing Pumpkins 

also recieving votes  NIN, Green Day and the best band of all time that we won’t include due to being too badass to be mainstream NOFX.   

early Marilyn Manson and Korn albums were all time heaters too 

idk why but I’m out on Alice In Chains, Foo, and Soundgarden.  

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden

Should just be reiterations of the same 5-10 bands for everyone :thumbsup:

It is probably just this.  

When people hear '90s Rock', they immediately go to the Seattle scene in the early part of the decade, and these are the 'big 4' that had/have the most notoriety.  The music was accessible to everybody and transcended a few genres.  I know Pearl Jam has had releases post-2000, but these 4 are largely fully encapsulated in the 90s decade.  If you have to pick 4 as a monument to '90s' rock, it is these 4.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This one is for guys like @Gugnyand myself that are stable with our own masculinity & music and would have no problem walking around a Lilith Fair. 😁

How about Folk/Jangle Pop '90s Mt.Rushmore:

Indigo Girls 

Sarah MaLachlan

Jewel

Melissa Etheridge 

This is an entirely different genre than the topic at hand, but I will say that I was listening to both Melissa Etheridge and the Indigo Girls in 1989.  Great stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Guess they bridge the decades.

Yeah, but my point was that I was a fan of each when they first came out.  Back then, the premiere classic rock station used to have a weekly segment on Mondays that showcased new music.  It's where I heard both of them.  I've seen Melissa Etheridge three times in three different sized venues.  First time was at Albany Palace Theatre, which seats ~3k.  My sister and I had 2nd row seats.  That was when she was touring on her second album.  She is fantastic in concert.

I never actually got into the Indigo Girls after their debut album.  But I still think they're great.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.