Should we trade Ed Oliver?

The twitter discussion that the Cover 1 guys have been tossing around- signing Poona Ford, trading Oliver and 3rd to Denver for Jeudy, then resigning Jordan Phillips or another such vet DT- does intrigue me. But if Oliver were to be traded, who would take the "whipping boy" mantle he's inherited from Edmunds?🤔

Edited by RussellDopeland
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

This has probably been mentioned before, but could Ed play DE or is he too big ?  He has quickness and he's listed at 287 lbs ---Basham is listed at 281 lbs.

Yes, this has been addressed prior (a lot) and "big" is a relative term for football.  Ed is small as it relates to IDL, no question.  He is about 25 pounds too light with shorter than average arms.  So, not only does that translate to his very average IDL play where he is easily consumed by blockers, he would fare even worse on the edge as a pass rusher.  He would not be able to generate the leverage necessary or engage OL in a manner that would help him win those battles.

Ed is dependent on everything around him being optimal before he can impact a game.  See both the Cincinnati playoff game (zero impact) and Detroit Thanksgiving game where he had impact (was going against a 3rd tier back up, DaQaun was playing as was Von).

Trading Ed is the best thing Beane could do as his cap hit is not proportional to his impact. He is just too expensive for what he does for our defense. 

12 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

But if Oliver were to be traded, who would take the "whipping boy" mantle he's inherited from Edmunds?🤔

Actually some of his were sharing concerns about Ed before this year, so for some fans he did not inherit the mantle from Edmunds, he was holding it all along.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

Yes, this has been addressed prior (a lot) and "big" is a relative term for football.  Ed is small as it relates to IDL, no question.  He is about 25 pounds too light with shorter than average arms.  So, not only does that translate to his very average IDL play where he is easily consumed by blockers, he would fare even worse on the edge as a pass rusher.  He would not be able to generate the leverage necessary or engage OL in a manner that would help him win those battles.

Ed is dependent on everything around him being optimal before he can impact a game.  See both the Cincinnati playoff game (zero impact) and Detroit Thanksgiving game where he had impact (was going against a 3rd tier back up, DaQaun was playing as was Von).

Trading Ed is the best thing Beane could do as his cap hit is not proportional to his impact. He is just too expensive for what he does for our defense. 

I agree with this 100%. It would open a hole, yet close a hole. But they need help up the middle, and Oliver isn’t getting it done, either in run defense or penetration. Is DT a better position to be drafting than WR, OL, or LB, which are positions of need that I would like to see in a trade?

1 minute ago, Figster said:

the DT $ market is through the roof.  Some teams might have really liked him coming out of college and believe he hasn’t reached his potential

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea.. he's getting traded.  Multiple emo IG posts.  Too much smoke now. 

certainly appears that way

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Figster said:

What's "meaningful"?

I am clearly not a big Ed Oliver fan, but tweets like this are also annoying.   We can move Oliver.  Look at what some of these DT's are getting paid..  

He's a young player, and he is talented - despite the very valid criticisms.  I am sure quite a few GM's were high on out of college.  It's a one year commitment and you get him in-house, with the ability to see how he fits on your Defense.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

What's "meaningful"?

I am clearly not a big Ed Oliver fan, but tweets like this are also annoying.   We can move Oliver.  Look at what some of these DT's are getting paid..  

He's a young player, and he is talented - despite the very valid criticisms.  I am sure quite a few GM's were high on out of college.  It's a one year commitment and you get him in-house, with the ability to see how he fits on your Defense.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve always likened Oliver to Dante Whitner back in the day. A really high draft pick who was healthy more than he wasn’t. Who was a solid contributor but certainly not a star. And who’ll eventually pass through the lore of Bills history for the years he gave us, but who’ll inevitably move along. Would the Bills entertain an offer now? Sure. Will they get a decent offer? I really doubt it. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, FluffHead said:

Ed as part of a Hopkins trade….git r dun 

Not sure how they are at DT  but if the Cardinals retained 6M like Texans did with Cook,  we'd only be adding 3 mil in cap space for this year with a Oliver for Hopkins swap. I assume we would also be sending a draft pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been in the don’t trade Ed camp, primarily because it would be just as expensive to replace him. Plus he’s got a higher ceiling than other DT’s making $10M. 

That said, it does feel like something is cooking. If we can somehow turn him into Hopkins, I’ll be thrilled as our offense would become truly elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/19/2023 at 3:00 PM, IndyMark said:

So, not only does that translate to his very average IDL play where he is easily consumed by blockers, he would fare even worse on the edge as a pass rusher.

This is a giant load.

He's not only drawing doubles all year, which he was able to beat more often than most, he's also spent multiple snaps this year playing the edge.

As for your complaints about the Cincy game, watch the tape and in additional to doubles, you'll actually see him drawing THREE guys at times.

The Bengals staff clearly knew who the Bills' biggest defensive threat was and devoted a huge chunk of their game plan to him.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

People making Ed Oliver out as if he is some sort of terrible player is a joke.  Clueless.  I guess since Edmunds is gone, someone had to pick up the negativity slack.  

For me, he is not a terrible player at all. But he didn't live up to his draft position and Beane doesn't seem to intend to extend him. Might as well get something if you can and use that cap space elsewhere. The fans on his new team won't hate on him so much because the draft position won't be a factor for them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.