Should we trade Ed Oliver?

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have given up trying to understand Americans speaking English.

It’s not so much English, more so an obscure dialect there of…, at least that’s my take on it, 

15 hours ago, In Summary said:

Iff:

• he is not identified as one of the core players that you MUST have to win a Super Bowl, and
  • his projected performance is not expected to meet his market value, and
  • you can get a draft pick that allows you to get a player of the same value as a DT who doesn't get to the QB, is good against the run, but is otherwise undersized, then

Yes.   

Why might this not happen?  Beane/McDermott's loyalty to "their" players. 

never got the sense he was a complete fit to the culture philosophy. 

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What does culture philosophy mean?

Just my impression, seemed like a ‘me’ guy, seemed like the coaches were a little put off by his attitude when talking about him as a rookie.  Didn’t seem to portray much humility with the Darnold comps.  

and show me the money? How about show up on Sunday. The guy was invisible in the playoffs and off and on during the season. 

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have given up trying to understand Americans speaking English.

Don’t blame us we didn’t in et this silly language 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Just my impression, seemed like a ‘me’ guy, seemed like the coaches were a little put off by his attitude when talking about him as a rookie.  Didn’t seem to portray much humility with the Darnold comps.  

and show me the money? How about show up on Sunday. The guy was invisible in the playoffs and off and on during the season. 

Don’t blame us we didn’t in et this silly language 

I never got that impression. I never got an impression that he wasn't a team guy. 

Oliver isn't bad. He's serviceable but inconsistent. That happens when you are undersized. That's why he fell to rhe Bills. His size metrics were a glaring red flag in hindsight. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I never got that impression. I never got an impression that he wasn't a team guy. 

Oliver isn't bad. He's serviceable but inconsistent. That happens when you are undersized. That's why he fell to rhe Bills. His size metrics were a glaring red flag in hindsight. 

The only extent to which Ed's size can even begin to be blamed for him never quite consistently playing to his top potential (though he has been better than almost the entirety of this board believes) is arm length. If he was a better finisher Ed would be about to get a top of the market DT contract. And it is legit to say sometimes QBs manage to escape where if his arms were an inch or two longer they'd be down. At the point of attack he had some issues as a rookie, but has more than held his own since despite being "undersized."

• Agree 1

I'm starting to feel like the defense is disintigrating and the offense too. First losing Edmunds and Poyer, next Oliver making big salary demands after his inconsistent play, now I'm reading about Hyde praising Justin Fields, then there's rumors about trading Basham and/or Epenesa...and the ongoing drama of 33 year olf Von Miller. Jordan Phillips injury problems...I'm sure there's more I'm missing...and they're all tweeting. Not to mention Diggs apparent displeasure with the organization and Allen with his huge salary taking up a lot of the cap.  Sounds to me like there's going to be lots of turnover this offseason.

Looking at the defense, I think it's time to acknowledge the Bills have screwed up drafting on many occasions. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Fell? To 9?  I thought his main knock was he played NT in college and his ability to transition to3-tech was a question mark. But he was a top ten pick.

all pro talent strength quickness and apparently pay aspirations. Just not that level of results. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

He has somewhat underwhelmed the last couple of years.  I never felt it was fair to compare him to Aaron Donald.

He was drafted higher! Maybe it should have been 

8 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

I'm starting to feel like the defense is disintigrating and the offense too. First losing Edmunds and Poyer, next Oliver making big salary demands after his inconsistent play, now I'm reading about Hyde praising Justin Fields, then there's rumors about trading Basham and/or Epenesa...and the ongoing drama of 33 year olf Von Miller. Jordan Phillips injury problems...I'm sure there's more I'm missing...and they're all tweeting. Not to mention Diggs apparent displeasure with the organization and Allen with his huge salary taking up a lot of the cap.  Sounds to me like there's going to be lots of turnover this offseason.

Looking at the defense, I think it's time to acknowledge the Bills have screwed up drafting on many occasions. 

I said it before- let the mini rebuild begin…👍

17 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

Tyreek Hill wasn’t exactly a choir boy in chirping his way out of KC for a new contract.   

They simply let their top Safety and CB1 walk in Free Agency.  

Watch Micah Hyde on GMFB yesterday.  Dude bleeds for Buffalo. 

Diggs needs to stop talking, but it is what it is.  

Von got hurt. It happens.  He’ll be back and if anyone can come back ferociously at his age, it’s freaks like Von.  

Who cares if we don’t have any of the following next year … Edmunds, Poyer, Oliver, Basham, Epenesa … None of them, singularly, or in totality, drastically affect our Super Bowl chances.   In fact, I’d argue having them all back makes us less likely to accomplish that. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only extent to which Ed's size can even begin to be blamed for him never quite consistently playing to his top potential (though he has been better than almost the entirety of this board believes) is arm length. If he was a better finisher Ed would be about to get a top of the market DT contract. And it is legit to say sometimes QBs manage to escape where if his arms were an inch or two longer they'd be down. At the point of attack he had some issues as a rookie, but has more than held his own since despite being "undersized."

Oliver is a nice piece and a good contributor. However, he is not a difference maker nor consistent enough to warrant a big contract. The Bills would be foolish to give him big money. 

35 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

I tend to agree with your sentiment. Let's wait and see what moves and pick ups the Bills make. Then we should have a clearer picture about the upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Oliver is a nice piece and a good contributor. However, he is not a difference maker nor consistent enough to warrant a big contract. The Bills would be foolish to give him big money. 

I agree he hasn't consistenly been a difference maker. But he has in flashes. I think there are contracts that make sense for Ed. No idea what he is after, but I am open to keeping him. I am also open to trading him if they can get an OL piece in return. 

• Agree 1

You absolutely trade him IF you can find a taker.  I said it when they did it, wasted 5th year option, should not do it.  Here we are, you have to pay a guy 25-50% more than market value and can’t o anything but offer to pay him more to make it better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.