Should we trade Ed Oliver?

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

How sad that we are trading for a short term loss. Good GMs take those late rounders and trade them for 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

Look at Minnesota, drafted Diggs in the late rounds and got a 1st round pick for him. Why can’t we do that? Why are we so terrible for decades? 

So you use an example of the Vikings getting a 1st rounder for a pro bowl WR. It’s rare that trades like that occur. It’s not that Oliver for example isn’t a decent player. But at $11M it’s just not good value. Teams want value more than anything. I proposed sending him to ATL ( they need DT and have cap $) and getting starting LB Mykal Walker at around $3M due to his value. And.. we give them a sixth round choice next year. The player + $8M cap relief is like getting the “great” deal like a second round pick. 

On 1/25/2023 at 8:43 PM, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Anyone else think Ed Oliver could be on the trading block this off-season? I can see it happening. I think McDermott and Beane know Oliver has underperformed and want to get bigger upfront. 

They did not give him a ringing endorsement yesterday in the PC.

He’s listed at 6’1 287, and I think the defense needs that 6’2 320lb DT in the middle of the defense. 

I think they know there is going to be a lot of expectations next year and have to get agressive with their FA’s and draft picks and maybe getting rid of 1-2 players that haven’t played to the level they want. 

I’m not sure what his trade value is, probably a 3rd or 4th rounder? He has hasn’t been terrible, just think he’s not a fit as a 1 tech taking on double teams.

I just think we have to make 1-2 trades this year to make the jump our fan base and front office knows has to be made. The Rams did it two years ago, the Eagles did it this year, the 49ers did it this year, it’s time to trade draft picks for proven players. 

Imagine what AJ Brown would have done for our offense like it did to Philly’s this year.

For me I hope it happens and it should happen…. Besides Gabe Davis Oliver let me down down the most this year…. When Von went down we really needed him to step it up and it never happened… In fact I can’t really remember one game in his whole career where he single handily took over a game or was any kind of a game changer… I’m done with him 

14 hours ago, Motorin' said:

For what it's worth, PFF's draft simulator is accepting trade offers for Oliver in the mid-70's. 

That is kinda where I see his value too. A third rounder, and if it's a late third you'd maybe need to throw a day 3 pick in too. Or a player for player trade for an olineman which is what I've been advocating. 

14 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

He’s a decent player, but our cap issues.. Atlanta needs D help. How about Oliver for LB Mykal Walker and we give them a 6th next year. We save about 7-8m off cap. And a potential replacement at LB. 

Oliver for Jake Matthews straight up. Atlanta uses the cap savings to pay their two young expiring contracts on the Oline, and Oliver is an instant upgrade on defense and let a lineman in his early 30s on a big cap number move on. The Bills have leverage to re-work Matthews' deal because there is no more guaranteed money and he, having played on sucks Falcons teams for the last few years gets to play for a contender. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I can’t see Beane letting go of both Edmunds and Oliver.

I think if Edmunds is walking they will extend Oliver.

That's an interesting take.  Beane has always talked up Edmunds when given the chance.  I was thinking if they're willing to let Edmunds walk that they are likely to let Oliver walk next year.  There's still some time to go but Rousseau may be next former 1st rounder to get extended by Bills.

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

That's an interesting take.  Beane has always talked up Edmunds when given the chance.  I was thinking if they're willing to let Edmunds walk that they are likely to let Oliver walk next year.  There's still some time to go but Rousseau may be next former 1st rounder to get extended by Bills.

He's gotta show he can take advantage of backup offensive tackles before we go there. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is kinda where I see his value too. A third rounder, and if it's a late third you'd maybe need to throw a day 3 pick in too. Or a player for player trade for an olineman which is what I've been advocating. 

Oliver for Jake Matthews straight up. Atlanta uses the cap savings to pay their two young expiring contracts on the Oline, and Oliver is an instant upgrade on defense and let a lineman in his early 30s on a big cap number move on. The Bills have leverage to re-work Matthews' deal because there is no more guaranteed money and he, having played on sucks Falcons teams for the last few years gets to play for a contender. 

I hit the like button only because there wasn't a love button 🤣

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I just can’t see Beane letting both his 9th overall pick and 16th overall pick go. That would show a flaw in his front office.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just can’t see Beane letting both his 9th overall pick and 16th overall pick go. That would show a flaw in his front office.

Good front offices aren’t mistake free but know when to move on.  Eagles drafted Reagor over Jefferson, but quickly moved on.  Chiefs drafted a JAG RB in the 1st round, and replaced him with a 7th rounder.  

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can't keep guys just to keep them. Oliver and Edmunds are NFL players, but they aren't game-changers and didn’t live up to their draft status. Extending Edmunds and Oliver, would just be doubling down on a bad decision. It's best to cut your losses and try and do better next draft. 

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Edmunds has shown more production to date than Oliver imo.  They play different positions but neither is a difference maker.  Why would you extend a first rounder who hasn't been a difference maker thus far? Extending them is a flaw imo.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Good front offices aren’t mistake free but know when to move on.  Eagles drafted Reagor over Jefferson, but quickly moved on.  Chiefs drafted a JAG RB in the 1st round, and replaced him with a 7th rounder.  

Agreed. Good FOs don’t compound their mistakes. 

One issue regarding trading Oliver is that I don’t see a market for him until the free agent DTs who are considered better players - or at least better values - get signed. If we move him at that point we won’t be able to acquire an adequate replacement. We could sign a replacement first, but that would probably hurt his trade value. I just do not see him getting traded, except for maybe a player for player trade. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Because whether people like it or not, Oliver is a good player who makes a difference on this defense

Injuries heard him a lot last year and we better have a plan for replacing him

There are I believe 3 DTs ( Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, and Jeffery Simmons) who were drafted after Oliver who have better production and are better than Oliver.  When players don't play to your expectations, you gotta move along and try to replace them with a better player.  That being said, they'll probably let Oliver leave after 2023.

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Agree 1

Just now, DCbillsfan said:

There are I believe 4 DTs who were drafted after Oliver who have better production and are better than Oliver.  When players don't play to your expectations, you gotta move along and try to replace them with a better player.  That being said, they'll probably let Oliver leave after 2023.

If there is no plan to resign him, I would rather get something for him

Gunner’s idea for Jake Matthews straight up is very appealing. It frees up $10 million of cap room and gets us an instant upgrade on our offensive line.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Edmunds has shown more production to date than Oliver imo.  They play different positions but neither is a difference maker.  Why would you extend a first rounder who hasn't been a difference maker thus far? Extending them is a flaw imo.

Personally I think they’re replaceable players but they are quality young dependable starters in the league.

Beane will have to swallow his pride to let both go. Shows he made mistakes. I don’t think he will.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Personally I think they’re replaceable players but they are quality young dependable starters in the league.

Beane will have to swallow his pride to let both go. Shows he made mistakes. I don’t think he will.

I understand your point about Beane.  He seemed stubborn to me regarding Cody Ford.  Hopefully he will swallow that pride.

15 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Buffalo should dump as much cap in 2023/2024 as possible while remaining as competitive as possible. We need to balance the books long term while hopefully accumulating as many draft picks as we can.

I tend to agree.

Oliver, Settle and Jones are all on their last year.  It's a tough situation that Beane is in.

If Oliver thinks he is getting big money due to his draft status I think he is mistaken.

Spotrac has his value at $10M and I think that's too high.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.