5 years and one glaring weakness remains the same…..

BillMafia716ix

The thing that really puzzles me is that McDermott and Beane have been here 5 years now and still haven’t developed a running game!! You have to run the football and keeep defenses honest. It opens up everything when you can run the football. 

We don’t need to throw money at WR. We need to Invest in the offensive line and show a commitment to running the ball!! We have a RB in Devin Singletary who has career average of 4.7 yards a carry and I feel like his entire tenure here was wasted. Now they about to let him walk out the door and promote James Cook who quite frankly too me is not a 3 down RB. 

Find an offensive coordinator who can develop a running game and the production of guys like Gabe Davis, Shakir, Knox will increase. It shame that we have a team that plays in the cold and we can’t run the football. 

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Next season will be interesting, even if Singletary is re-signed.  Neither Cook nor Hines (assuming he will be back) seems to be an every down back and both have similarities in their skill sets.  We have lacked a "move the pile" type running back, and if Singletary leaves via free agency, one can argue that we will need another starting quality RB to fill out the running back group.  Not an ideal situation to be in after using draft resources on Moss, Singletary and Cook over the last number of years.

• Like (+1) 1

It's because their philosophy doesn't value interior guards and o linemen as places to spend money and resources and have missed on what they did spend or traded it away.

Until we get good line play, we won't be a good running team when it matters most.

Sure we ran well when they played the pass, but short yardage woes tell the tale.

Edited by Sharky7337

10 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

The thing that really puzzles me is that McDermott and Beane have been here 5 years now and still haven’t developed a running game!! You have to run the football and keeep defenses honest. It opens up everything when you can run the football. 

We don’t need to throw money at WR. We need to Invest in the offensive line and show a commitment to running the ball!! We have a RB in Devin Singletary who has career average of 4.7 yards a carry and I feel like his entire tenure here was wasted. Now they about to let him walk out the door and promote James Cook who quite frankly too me is not a 3 down RB. 

Find an offensive coordinator who can develop a running game and the production of guys like Gabe Davis, Shakir, Knox will increase. It shame that we have a team that plays in the cold and we can’t run the football. 

I think the poor drafting in the first couple rounds over the last 4 years has really hurt this team.  Lots of aging vets and free agents and nobody on roster ready to replace them. Too many role players drafted high.  This roster is in some serious trouble going forward.  

Edited by GolfandBills

8 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Knox isn't a great blocking TE which hurts, toss in outside of Morse and Dawkins the rest of our offensive line are average guys. I'm not sure if someone can teach it but Cook seeming always trips himself not sure why. 

3 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Next season will be interesting, even if Singletary is re-signed.  Neither Cook nor Hines (assuming he will be back) seems to be an every down back and both have similarities in their skill sets.  We have lacked a "move the pile" type running back, and if Singletary leaves via free agency, one can argue that we will need another starting quality RB to fill out the running back group.  Not an ideal situation to be in after using draft resources on Moss, Singletary and Cook over the last number of years.

if Singletary walks we just need a plugger. To me Chris Rodriguez Jr. would fit the roll and not cost high draft capital. 

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Our run game was fine.

We had the 7th most rushing yards per game in the regular season. Bengals were 29th. 

Chiefs have never had a great rushing attack with Mahomes and they've been to 5 straight AFCCG

Most of those yards was from the QB improvising. Don’t be fooled by the stats

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You beat me to this topic. When the dust settles and you look back at the season you realize that the Bills went absolutely NOWHERE this year. Their strengths remained exactly the same, as did their weaknesses. While other teams retooled and reworked themselves (KC receivers and Bengals OL), the Bills thought they could stand pat and everything would simply work out in the end. The result was that everything remained almost exactly the same, including the earlier than desired playoff exit. 

15 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Our run game was fine.

We had the 7th most rushing yards per game in the regular season. Bengals were 29th. 

Chiefs have never had a great rushing attack with Mahomes and they've been to 5 straight AFCCG

That’s because burrow doesn’t run and he had 3 great wrs. Also didn’t seem like the bengals had any problem at all running the ball on Sunday in snowy conditions while the Bills were in nickel formation the entire game. The bengals did the same thing and we refused to use our rbs. Absolutely atrocious game planning.

Breece Hall.  

Offensive Head Coach thinking might have got us that pick.  

Defensive Head Coach is thinking about making sure his defense is as close to elite as possible.  

I really like Elam.  But apparently he clearly needed a year.  I guess.  

This wasn’t a draft to pick guys that needed a year.  

That’s a Beane failure.  

The Diggs window is closing.  

I think the glaring weakness is their reluctance to spend top picks and resources on the offense altogether. Yes, I know they traded a first rounder for Diggs, but why stop there?  They used a few seconds on offense, but it’s not enough. The guys they drafted for defense have been role players on an idiotic rotation, and not dawgs that can make an immediate impact. Their entire draft philosophy needs to change. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

That’s because burrow doesn’t run and he had 3 great wrs. Also didn’t seem like the bengals had any problem at all running the ball on Sunday in snowy conditions while the Bills were in nickel formation the entire game. The bengals did the same thing and we refused to use our rbs. Absolutely atrocious game planning.

So we're taking a 1 game sample size and applying it to the past 5 years?

Our run game sucked ass on Sunday, but in general, it's more than strong enough to win a SB. 

You do not need a great running game to make/win the SB. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Agree. But we need offensive lineman and a #2 receiver to accomplish this. Just changing coordinator wouldn't in itself solve the no running game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.