The disappointing pass rush

Success

Yesterday was a real eye-opener - but we've seen it ever since Miller went down.  The Bengals were missing 3 out of 5 starting O-linemen, and our pass rush was still anemic.

They were saying in the post-game how outside of Miller, we don't have 1 guy in the top 40.

And we've also seen that many SB champs have this as a strength.  Think of the Bucs line from 2 years ago, or the Rams last year.  Multiple players who are good or great at getting to the passer.

How do the Bills fix this?  It feels like they have made every investment they can make - high draft picks, getting the best pass rusher in FA.  It's a glaring weakness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Miller comes back and Jones is healthy. That's it. We have no cash to sign a good FA and we can't use draft capital — yet again — on a d-lineman as the offense (line and playmers) is the priority. 

Unless we hit on a 5th-round pick or something, we're rolling with what we have. If Miller is healthy and still in shape it should be OK, maybe not great, but OK next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

The pass rush is the single weakest link on this team.  Without Miller,  it’s downright bad. Oliver, Boogie, Rousseau and Epenesa have been disappointing.  Rousseau has shown flashes so I’m not totally giving up on him yet.  The others, especially Oliver with his cap hit,  are deadweight.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Success said:

Yesterday was a real eye-opener - but we've seen it ever since Miller went down.  The Bengals were missing 3 out of 5 starting O-linemen, and our pass rush was still anemic.

They were saying in the post-game how outside of Miller, we don't have 1 guy in the top 40.

And we've also seen that many SB champs have this as a strength.  Think of the Bucs line from 2 years ago, or the Rams last year.  Multiple players who are good or great at getting to the passer.

How do the Bills fix this?  It feels like they have made every investment they can make - high draft picks, getting the best pass rusher in FA.  It's a glaring weakness.

It’s been obvious there’s not a difference maker on the line for a long time.  Miller was a help, but obviously, you rolled the dice on an older player on the decline and lost.   Quite honestly, this team needs to have the whole D revamped and the assets moved to the offense.  If you don’t support what’s making you great, you’re going to lose.  I’d personally looked at:

Edmunds walks (try to sign and trade, but I don’t see it happening)

Oliver, try to trade to clear that cap hit. Worst case, don’t resign.

Poyer, gone- old and injuries, love the guy, but gotta rip the band-aid off.

Hyde is back this year, gone next. 

Benford to SS

Elam has to be CB #1 or 2 depending on what happens to White.  If Tre comes back, cool, if not, I’m not shocked.

Tre… prove it year, may need to take a pay cut or a hike, can’t play like he did this year and get paid big money.   If he can’t get his speed back up, he’s not going to make it. 

Must find LB depth and ideally a more impactful starter to play along side Milano. 

DL is going to have to be what it is, the rotation means there is no point in paying for big time players, unless Beane is going to make a shift in mindset. 

2 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

The pass rush is the single weakest link on this team.  Without Miller,  it’s downright bad. Oliver, Boogie, Rousseau and Epenesa have been disappointing.  Rousseau has shown flashes so I’m not totally giving up on him yet.  The others, especially Oliver with his cap hit,  are deadweight.

Definitely disappointing but I still blame coaching. These guys didn’t just forget how to play football. They are put into bad situations. Just like last year we all thought a first round corner would help avoid another 13 second disaster. Well…no one wanted to put the blame on the coaches that rushed 3 and kept the corners off the ball. It was coaching, not personnel. 

I agree that the personnel on offense needs upgraded, but I equally think that a new DC and scheme could make the guys we already have on d more than serviceable. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Whiffing on three pass rushers in a row is a huge red flag. Can we even identify this type of player? Groot is the only reliably decent rusher we’ve got but he hasn’t shone up as anything close to elite. 

How much more in draft picks or dollars can we even invest in this position? And can we even trust those judging the talent those resources are used on? 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Definitely disappointing but I still blame coaching. These guys didn’t just forget how to play football. They are put into bad situations. Just like last year we all thought a first round corner would help avoid another 13 second disaster. Well…no one wanted to put the blame on the coaches that rushed 3 and kept the corners off the ball. It was coaching, not personnel. 

I agree that the personnel on offense needs upgraded, but I equally think that a new DC and scheme could make the guys we already have on d more than serviceable. 

agree,

the fact that our guys are platooned, we've put so much money and so many picks into it, and they get figured out snap 1 and never adjust tells me they are not put in a position to win vs good teams.

we need more size and power obv, but getting ultra trucked every year w different lineups is not a pure player issue.

• Like (+1) 3

Hard to generate pass rush when the QB gets rid of the ball to elite playmakers in 2.5 seconds and you play off coverage most of the game.

Regardless, the DL is a problem.

Von Miller, Greg Rousseau and Daquan Jones are the only guys worth keeping. 

Get Oliver and his cap hit off this team.  He, in no way, should be in the plans moving forward so trade him while we can. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McBean needs to be put on notice for not only using all the draft capital and FA money used on the DLine, but failing at it as well.  All those 1,2,3rd round draft picks, where are they?  They are invisible on the field and could have been used to help protect Josh and give him his much needed weapons.  Yet with our already failure on our top paid DL investment, they double down on Defense again resulting in us having a not so great OL and downgrades at the WR positions.  We literally promoted Mckenzie and Davis because we didn't replace what we lost.  It was an immediate downgrade and failure on McBean part

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Success said:

Our D-line can be summed up this way: Our line is quantity over quality when it needs to be quality over quantity.

27 minutes ago, Success said:

Score more points than they do. We've invested tons into this already. Time to switch strategies & build up the Offensive arsenal w/ every single weapon we can get. Trade, draft, beg, borrow, steal. We need All the Weapons. Make the other team play catch up like Cincy & the Chiefs do to us. As for the D, it's time for a scheme change, cause same old same old doesn't work, take a page of Cincy's creative D play calling, hire one of their young assistants to be the new D coordinator.

• Like (+1) 2

This D-line is not good enough to control a physical O-line and tough rbs. The defensive scheme with limited blitzing gets no pressure and exposes a weak secondary. When you have a slow track like snow games, everything is pronounced. Beane has failed to improve our D-line and now faces cap limitations. I wish I could say yesterday’s game was an element of exhaustion and an aberration, but sadly our coaches and players were exposed.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Success said:

unfortunately, second rounders are not elite prospects at DL. 

we have Ed O, Rousseau and an injured VM. We need another elite rusher, even if a short term rental. 

Me too.

The 2022-2023 Bills should be celebrated. I'll never forget this team and the emotional turmoil they went through this year was beyond anything one could have predicted.

After the Hamlin injury the predominant thought was the rest of the season doesn't even matter as long as Damar is okay. Can't help but think some of those thoughts seeped into the minds of the players to the detriment of their play on the field - though, it likely improved their mental health off the field. A psychological catch-22.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.