Halftime Adjustments a Myth! (Per Peyton Manning)

NoHuddleKelly12

From the Manningcast last night, on the myth of halftime adjustments being some kind of game changer potentially. I'm curious what others here would say to that, especially those who've played any kind of organized football? I was a bench rider in Division 3 football in college, and I remember a lot of hysterics from the staff (as we were usually losing big by half), as well as a few hastily drawn diagrams on the chalkboard, but nothing much more than that. Thoughts?  

Block Quote:

During Monday night's "ManningCast" of the Buccaneers-Cowboys game, Manning explained why he didn't believe in halftime adjustments.

"I don't know if I ever made a halftime adjustment in my entire 18-year career," Manning said, making a glib joke about the Buccaneers as they came out to start the second half trailing the Cowboys 18-0.

"I think that's the biggest myth in football — the halftime adjustments. You go in, you use the restroom, you eat a couple of oranges, and then the head coach says, 'Alright, let's go!'"

Peyton's brother Eli agreed with his assessment.

"You're in there for like, three minutes," Eli said.

"There's no time!" Peyton concluded.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-says-halftime-adjustments-are-the-biggest-myth-in-football/ar-AA16rK5Y?cvid=8080cce8c7744203b05615803dbd2a56

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m not sure it’s so much the players as it would be the coaches. Dorsey probably doesn’t go anywhere, so he has 15 minutes up in the booth where he isn’t calling plays. That’s 15 minutes he can take to actually think, as I imagine there isn’t much time for that during the 1st and 2nd quarters. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m not sure it’s so much the players as it would be the coaches. Dorsey probably doesn’t go anywhere, so he has 15 minutes up in the booth where he isn’t calling plays. That’s 15 minutes he can take to actually think, as I imagine there isn’t much time for that during the 1st and 2nd quarters. 

This!  Of course it isn’t the players.  Thx for stating the obvious Peyton.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

From the Manningcast last night, on the myth of halftime adjustments being some kind of game changer potentially. I'm curious what others here would say to that, especially those who've played any kind of organized football? I was a bench rider in Division 3 football in college, and I remember a lot of hysterics from the staff (as we were usually losing big by half), as well as a few hastily drawn diagrams on the chalkboard, but nothing much more than that. Thoughts?  

Block Quote:

During Monday night's "ManningCast" of the Buccaneers-Cowboys game, Manning explained why he didn't believe in halftime adjustments.

"I don't know if I ever made a halftime adjustment in my entire 18-year career," Manning said, making a glib joke about the Buccaneers as they came out to start the second half trailing the Cowboys 18-0.

"I think that's the biggest myth in football — the halftime adjustments. You go in, you use the restroom, you eat a couple of oranges, and then the head coach says, 'Alright, let's go!'"

Peyton's brother Eli agreed with his assessment.

"You're in there for like, three minutes," Eli said.

"There's no time!" Peyton concluded.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-says-halftime-adjustments-are-the-biggest-myth-in-football/ar-AA16rK5Y?cvid=8080cce8c7744203b05615803dbd2a56

Thank you! Most of that stuff is on the sideline. This and “ playcalling” are the two most mythicized phrases in MMQB’ing football games. You see a dumb play call here and there but the game largely comes down to blocking and tackling with turnovers mixed in. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Was Jimmy Johnson lying when he said they adjusted to what the Bills were doing in the SB at the half and completely shutdown the offense? 

It was largely an exaggeration.. they changed a couple blocking schemes. Of course the SB has a much longer halftime than a regular game so there’s that. Also, why wouldn’t Johnson take credit and build his own status? 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

Eli and Peyton are a good watch.

His point was the legend of the halftime adjustment is non-sense. 

The coaching staff is working real time throughout the game to adjust things. surely there have been cases where epiphanies and adjustments happened during the pause between halves… just like there has probably been the same in timeouts, two minute earrings or when the other side of the ball is on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

That's complete BS Peyton! I can tell you definitively as a veteran youth sports coach I routinely make adjustments at half time, that exactly 0 players pay a damn bit of attention to. Apparently they're all just like Peyton. No wonder we're so darn good.

If you know you need to change something why wait until halftime??

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.