Halftime Adjustments a Myth! (Per Peyton Manning)

NoHuddleKelly12

55 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m not sure it’s so much the players as it would be the coaches. Dorsey probably doesn’t go anywhere, so he has 15 minutes up in the booth where he isn’t calling plays. That’s 15 minutes he can take to actually think, as I imagine there isn’t much time for that during the 1st and 2nd quarters. 

For what it’s worth Dorsey and the other coaches do absolutely make their way down to the locker room during halftime. I see them on a golf cart driving thru the stadium.
That being said I don’t think there’s a whole lot of time to make any drastic changes at halftime especially adding in the commute from the booth to the locker room and back. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Diggstheprocess said:

For what it’s worth Dorsey and the other coaches do absolutely make their way down to the locker room during halftime. I see them on a golf cart driving thru the stadium.
That being said I don’t think there’s a whole lot of time to make any drastic changes at halftime especially adding in the commute from the booth to the locker room and back. 

Never knew this. Figured by the time they got there it would be time to leave! 

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

From the Manningcast last night, on the myth of halftime adjustments being some kind of game changer potentially. I'm curious what others here would say to that, especially those who've played any kind of organized football? I was a bench rider in Division 3 football in college, and I remember a lot of hysterics from the staff (as we were usually losing big by half), as well as a few hastily drawn diagrams on the chalkboard, but nothing much more than that. Thoughts?  

Block Quote:

During Monday night's "ManningCast" of the Buccaneers-Cowboys game, Manning explained why he didn't believe in halftime adjustments.

"I don't know if I ever made a halftime adjustment in my entire 18-year career," Manning said, making a glib joke about the Buccaneers as they came out to start the second half trailing the Cowboys 18-0.

"I think that's the biggest myth in football — the halftime adjustments. You go in, you use the restroom, you eat a couple of oranges, and then the head coach says, 'Alright, let's go!'"

Peyton's brother Eli agreed with his assessment.

"You're in there for like, three minutes," Eli said.

"There's no time!" Peyton concluded.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-says-halftime-adjustments-are-the-biggest-myth-in-football/ar-AA16rK5Y?cvid=8080cce8c7744203b05615803dbd2a56

Its never been about the players making adjustments, its the HC, OC, and DC recognizing how the opponent has been playing them and making formation and play call adjustments to counter the other sides game plan.  They do this throughout the game, but the "halftime" adjustment is most talked about because its when the HC and Coordinators have a moment to all talk together and share input.  

I guarantee every coach in the league would 100% disagree with Mannings comment here.  Manning has never coached, he has never put together a game plan or strategy.  His job was to execute the play calls coming in from the staff or make on field audibles if he sees something he can exploit or counter out of if the defense is lined up in a way to disrupt the original call.  

Manning is a fun guy and good commentator, don't get me wrong, but he is out of his element here talking about coaching adjustements.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m not sure it’s so much the players as it would be the coaches. Dorsey probably doesn’t go anywhere, so he has 15 minutes up in the booth where he isn’t calling plays. That’s 15 minutes he can take to actually think, as I imagine there isn’t much time for that during the 1st and 2nd quarters. 

Can't Dorsey sit and think while the Bills Defense is on the field?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Adjustments are made on a regular basis throughout the entire game. Certain things may get discussed more during halftime considering you have that 10-15 mins 

Any good coordinator has contingencies ready. If this isn't working, we do this, or if go down 2 receivers, we do this and such. If they don't do this, they are idiots.

• Agree 1

This is old from 2012, but backs up the notion that there are other phases of time blocks more important that halftime during which adjustments can be made:

Block Quote:

Head Coach Greg Schiano stressed that such adjustments are a constant process from pregame through to the last play, and not the result of a rousing speech between third and fourth periods.

Schiano has stated, on more than one occasion, that the concept of the magical halftime adjustment is, as he said Thursday, "overrated in a big, big way."  In fact, his team might end up making more corrections on the fly during a long offensive drive than it would during a halftime trip to the locker room.

"If you're a defensive player and you sit down on the bench and your offense goes out and has a 12 or 14-play drive, with clock stoppages and real time," he said, "it's a heck of a lot longer than what you have at halftime."

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/in-game-adjustments-a-lot-more-than-a-halftime-speech-8038714

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its never been about the players making adjustments, its the HC, OC, and DC recognizing how the opponent has been playing them and making formation and play call adjustments to counter the other sides game plan.  They do this throughout the game, but the "halftime" adjustment is most talked about because its when the HC and Coordinators have a moment to all talk together and share input.  

I guarantee every coach in the league would 100% disagree with Mannings comment here.  Manning has never coached, he has never put together a game plan or strategy.  His job was to execute the play calls coming in from the staff or make on field audibles if he sees something he can exploit or counter out of if the defense is lined up in a way to disrupt the original call.  

Manning is a fun guy and good commentator, don't get me wrong, but he is out of his element here talking about coaching adjustements.

First, he was commenting as a player.  He said he was never involved in any halftime adjustments with the coaching staff.  So whatever a few of the coaches talk about in the few minutes they have together isn't what he is discussing. 

Second, his coaching staff was mostly Dungy and a guy named Tom Moore.   If you think Manning, maybe one of the sharpest QBs ever--and a guy who had seen every Defesen ever conceived (and made his own adjustments--famously---at the line of scrimmage), never helped put together a game plan or even an adjustment in game with his staff----that is completely unbelievable.  There is no chance this is true.  

24 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I think Shaq is. Thanks for the reminder to set my DVR for TNT NBA tonight.

he's ok.  just mumbles mostly.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

First, he was commenting as a player.  He said he was never involved in any halftime adjustments with the coaching staff.  So whatever a few of the coaches talk about in the few minutes they have together isn't what he is discussing. 

Second, his coaching staff was mostly Dungy and a guy named Tom Moore.   If you think Manning, maybe one of the sharpest QBs ever--and a guy who had seen every Defesen ever conceived (and made his own adjustments--famously---at the line of scrimmage), never helped put together a game plan or even an adjustment in game with his staff----that is completely unbelievable.  There is no chance this is true.  

Him and this thread title are claiming all halftime adjustments are a myth.  I was pointing out that players are not the ones making adjustments, and coaches very much do continuously make adjustments during games and confer further even at halftime.  That is a fact, ask any coach.  

I already referenced him making adjustments at the line, lmao, so why are you even mentioning that to me when I literally said its very much what he did in the very post you are responding to?  

Second, no one ever said coaches take zero input from players, it was said that its on the coaching staff to make the adjustments in how they are calling games.  If you think Manning is out there calling what ever play he wants regardless of the play call, then you have watched "Any Given Sunday" too many times, because that is not what is happening.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Him and this thread title are claiming all halftime adjustments are a myth.  I was pointing out that players are not the ones making adjustments, and coaches very much do continuously make adjustments during games and confer further even at halftime.  That is a fact, ask any coach.  

I already referenced him making adjustments at the line, lmao, so why are you even mentioning that to me when I literally said its very much what he did in the very post you are responding to?  

Second, no one ever said coaches take zero input from players, it was said that its on the coaching staff to make the adjustments in how they are calling games.  If you think Manning is out there calling what ever play he wants regardless of the play call, then you have watched "Any Given Sunday" too many times, because that is not what is happening.  

"he has never put together a game plan or strategy."

No chance this is true.  It's far easier to assume that he spent a lot of time with "Tom Moore" coming up with next week's Offensive plan--why wouldn't he?  I bet Moore depended on it. 

Anyway, very clearly, this is a thread about a player saying players and coaches never got together in the locker room at halftime and made "halftime" adjustments.  It's not a thread about what the coaching staff does in those few minutes amongst themselves.    You are spending a lot of energy refuting something that Manning didn't say.  

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"he has never put together a game plan or strategy."

No chance this is true.  It's far easier to assume that he spent a lot of time with "Tom Moore" coming up with next week's Offensive plan--why wouldn't he?  I bet Moore depended on it. 

Anyway, very clearly, this is a thread about a player saying players and coaches never got together in the locker room at halftime and made "halftime" adjustments.  It's not a thread about what the coaching staff does in those few minutes amongst themselves.    You are spending a lot of energy refuting something that Manning didn't say.  

Lol, I've spent very little time here.  

Let me make this clearer.  Halftime adjustments are 100% factual, real, and take place in all levels of football within the coaching staff.  

I don't even know why you are arguing that fact.  I mean coaches literally refer to this on a regular basis of needing to make some adjustments in the 2nd half when being interviewed before the half, or after the game of having had made adjustments in the 2nd half.  

Thread title says halftime adjustments are a myth.  No they are not.  That is the point, and ask any coach.  It may be a Myth that players make some sort of adjustment, but I don't think any reasonable fan or person ever one time thought it was the players themselves making some sort of magical adjustment individually.  

It has always been understood to mean coaches make adjustments, not players. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.