Chris Brown Play-By-Play

jimmynunn

There are all kinds of experienced broadcasters at this level who could have been contracted on short notice.  The Bills decided differently.  

Bottom line…how many people actually listen to games on the radio since the blackout rule was eliminated?  That is why you ended up with Chris Brown. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I find it fascinating that Brown was SO excellent as a calm, concise, and controlled reporter for BB.com for so many years, someone I really appreciated, and then suddenly his performances on One Bills Live took on this hyperbolic, animated, shrill tone that caught us all off guard...

And now this loud, excitable, shrill persona might actually be effective on the radio play-by-play? I believe it. Especially given Wood's super flat affect, the Bills need an animated play-by-play guy. 

"OK, let's turn it over to Chris Brown, high atop High Mark Stadium with the call for today's Bills-Bengals divisional round playoff game.  Brownie, take it away."

wrestler-woo.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

No secret ownership didn’t care for some in the local media when they took over.

Not that they’d admit wanting yes men doing their media, but they do.

No doubt Chris Brown has earned their favor.

I never felt that any sports franchise wants "yes men". In all my years in sports broadcasting I never saw that. I can tell you that at every level from local to network, the best talent always knew to keep things positive or to keep their mouths shut. Knowing who is buttering your bread means everything to your future.

If a reporter keeps throwing people under the bus, nobody is going to talk to them, at least not with regard to inside information. If instead you always put a positive spin on a player, coach or manager, then they'll be happy to share hints of what is going on behind the curtain. This is a fact in all of pro sports.

You are never going to see a "Jerry Sullivan type" get ahead in sports reporting. NEVER. They'll eventually end up with all the doors closed and reporting exclusively opinion pieces not based on real fact. There's just nobody left to get info from.

8 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I never felt that any sports franchise wants "yes men". In all my years in sports broadcasting I never saw that. I can tell you that at every level from local to network, the best talent always knew to keep things positive or to keep their mouths shut. Knowing who is buttering your bread means everything to your future.

If a reporter keeps throwing people under the bus, nobody is going to talk to them, at least not with regard to inside information. If instead you always put a positive spin on a player, coach or manager, then they'll be happy to share hints of what is going on behind the curtain. This is a fact in all of pro sports.

You are never going to see a "Jerry Sullivan type" get ahead in sports reporting. NEVER. They'll eventually end up with all the doors closed and reporting exclusively opinion pieces not based on real fact. There's just nobody left to get info from.

What you say here is a problem in ALL of reporting.  Yet there is a balance of integrity that can--and is--struck by the best out there.

At the local level, like Bills announcers in a tiny market, no one is going to say anything negative ever.

It's also worth pointing out that the announce team ARE EMPLOYEES OF THE BUFFALO BILLS.

You are talking about Jerry Sullivan which is really not an analogous example.

4 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Best talent knew to keep things positive or keep their mouths shut.

That’s always on display with all the prominent faces on sports talk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's also worth pointing out that the announce team ARE EMPLOYEES OF THE BUFFALO BILLS.

Yes and I will tell you that team management does not micro-manage their on-air talent. They might pick people who see things their way, but then they're left alone. At least that is how it was when I was working. They can release you at the end of your contract or suspend you, but that's all.

This is different with the in-house folks that do the buffalobills.com content and marketing hype videos, but not with the on-air people. It just became a conspiracy theory around here during the drought. There are no teeth to this supposition.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, jimmynunn said:

First, I truly hope the best for John Murphy's health. He seems like a nice man, I'm sure his heart is in the right place, and get well Murph.

But in my opinion, he deserves to be Wally Pipped. I've listened to the game broadcasts the last 2 weeks, and the improvement is significant. Chris Brown brings more enthusiasm, is nowhere near as bland, and his voice conveys the excitment of a big play without cracking. He also seems way more accurtate in his down and distance calls. Too often, Murph will say something like"Singletary off tackle, picks up 7...........and it's 2nd and 8 for the Bills."

I'd be interested in the opinions of others who have listened to our radio play-by-play.

I don’t live in the area so I’m not familiar with Murphy’s work. I just think it would thoughtful of the local listeners to let the guy recover before asking for his replacement . The guy has been there forever and after he leaves due to a life threatening event, the buzzards start flying around. You did preface the call for his ouster by saying you hope for the best with his health, so I guess feel free to say anything.

6 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

First ya need the ability to pause one or both feeds.  For years I have  used a DVR to pause the video feed waiting for the SiriusXM OTA feed to synch up usually pause when kicker approaches the ball.  I am good at it and get lip synch perfectly.  If using a streamed audio the delay is much longer but be patient.   If both audio and video are streamed and don’t have pause on the stream never gonna make it work.   The onky time I have had major issues was the Saturday game on NFL network I would get synced and than notice that the radio was ahead because NFL net likes to show all sort of Camera angles etc finally gave up .   I really wish you could subscribe to a service that would synch the sources for ya.   Now that NFLST is moving to YouTube TV will have to experiment with how to get this working with DTV a and Sirius OTA radio pause was like 10:seconds.

I'm a huge fan of Greg Papa.  This method is exactly how I watch the 49'ers. 

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Some of that signature "high drama" came from Van's relatively minimalistic play-by-play: he'd often call the snap and dropback on a passing play, but not say more until the ball (and on-site fans in the background) completed the play. He actually did a great job of slow-playing a lot of high intensity moments in favor of only REALLY amplifying the best moments. His inflection was legendary. Such a fan with such an iconic voice. 

This week I watched the second half of the Comeback game synched with the radio call by Van. Awesome.  

Charlie Jones called the television broadcast and he was my favorite announcer from back in the day. Gonna watch it again with his call. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

This week I watched the second half of the Comeback game synched with the radio call by Van. Awesome.  

Charlie Jones called the television broadcast and he was my favorite announcer from back in the day. Gonna watch it again with his call. 

Charlie was a HOF talent. Always felt like a big game with him on the call.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:20 PM, JohnNord said:

I don’t listen to the radio broadcasts but from what I’ve heard of Chris Brown as an announcer, he sounded overly excited and kind of forced.  Like he was trying to be a parody of a play-by-play man.  

I prefer Murph and hope he gets back in the booth next season

How are you able to sync it?  Because the delays on both radio and TV make it impossible 

When the live game gets to the opening kick off, I pause the TV until the radio catches up (seems to be about 40 seconds to a minute behind).  Then I "micro adjust" the TV to stay in synch with the radio.  Its not perfect, but pretty darn close.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.