Josh Allen Bashers, what's your solution?

ChicagoRic

7 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

He needs to fix the mistakes and not press. The deep pick and the handoff to Cook that josh should have kept were big mistakes. Tbh, he needs to relearn how to take checkdowns. It ok to take 5 yards a pop. That will open up the intermediate and deep game and negate the blitz

I would give it about one half of football with Josh throwing checkdowns for this fan base to give Allen the moniker of "Captain Checkdown".  Can't win.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Last year it felt like Brian was running the show, this year it feels like Josh is. And Josh is always going to take the less conservative route. We have no excuses for not scoring more. But he becomes impatient almost immediately and it costs us. 

How does he do it? Josh Allen's offense put up 34 points yesterday with three turnovers (call it 27 if you want to deduct 7 for not eating the fumble). Joe Burrows no interception team put up 17 points yesterday.  34 points should be sufficient to win most NFL games.  17 points is not.  

During the course of the season Burrows, Allen and Mahomes were all among league leaders in interceptions.  Why are these teams not cellar dwellers? 

The 1970's caveman mind set the is pervasive on this board seems to believe that a time consuming drive where they other team takes possession of the ball at their own 20 after a punt is a great offensive outcome, but a pick off in the endzone brought out to the 20 is an epic disaster.  In fact, these are identical outcomes.   Understanding that, is how you learn that a QB putting up 34 points with two interceptions had a good game (not great, but good).  

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My solution is we HAVE to stop turning the ball over. 

The OC needs to help him, but Josh needs to make better decisions. He said it himself after the game. He can't keep putting the team in bad positions. 

Last night was the full Josh Allen Experience. Incredible plays and bonehead mistakes. That is enough to get past a poor Miami team. But if you give Joe Burrow 7 points and another 4 short fields (2 on offense, 2 on STs) you will lose.  

The interception off Cole Beasley's hands was definitely not Josh's fault.

The fumble recovery/touchdown absolutely was his fault.  

The deep shot interception to John Brown is iffy.  Unclear if it was a bad throw, or receiver breaking off the route.

The sack/fumble (we thankfully recovered) was not his fault either, being a blindside hit to his arm.

My frustration with yesterday's game was more than just the turnovers.  It was the brazen attitude that if the Dolphins brought a blitz, we were going to throw it down the field and make them pay NO MATTER WHAT.  There was a sequence after the Dolphins made it a 3 point game in the 4th quarter.  This was the time for a slow/methodical touchdown drive, not a kill-shot.  Instead we took two deep shots down the sideline to Gabe Davis, and then got sacked.  Total wasted drive that immediately put our defense back on the field.

We barely escaped yesterday.  We have barely escaped games for most of the last 2-3 months.  That type of play isn't going to cut it anymore.  Our next three games (assuming we go that far), will likely be against the Top 3-5 teams in the entire NFL.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Didn't he make two? Back to back? Think Denver beat them.

You are right.  Beat the Patriots.  Lost to the Broncos.

32 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

Are we sure Josh is still listening to Sinatra pre-game? If not, the Bills need to force this issue. 

PLAY. SINATRA. ON. LOOP. ONCE. ALLEN. ENTERS. THE. F#@$%ing BLDG.

It could be that simple.

Why did Josh seem nervous or something? The problem with yesterdays game was failure to adjust to what the fish were doing:blitz. All game Josh was looking deep. Some short passes or running the ball more often would have neutralized the blitz. I bet the Bengals bring it next week. 

7 hours ago, benderbender said:

I stopped going on Reddit for the very reason that every thread is a critique of others fandom or a take on someone else’s take. Sad to see it come to this forum to roost. 

Everyone on Reddit is an expert - TBD only has a few experts.

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I agree, neither ints were on him. I still don't understand what Brown was doing. Good to get the wrinkles out in a win though.

That interception was completely on Josh. He just threw it up for grabs. That play wasn't supposed to go to Brown. He started scrambling then saw man to man on Brown (who had already stopped running the route) and threw up a prayer and the most shocked person on the field was Brown who then turned around and started running with no idea where the ball was in the air. The Dolphins db caught it like a punt returner. It was bad. Throw the ball out of bounds and live to play another down. Josh refuses to do that. Every play has to be a big play. Sometimes the best play is an incomplete pass or a check down for 5 yards

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

I would give it about one half of football with Josh throwing checkdowns for this fan base to give Allen the moniker of "Captain Checkdown".  Can't win.

The thing is when Josh does it he looks really good at it but that’s not work. Josh really wants to do. Josh wants to get out there and score a touchdown in like three plays and he has the talent to do it

I would like to see games where he mixes it up. I thought we saw a little bit of that yesterday whenever he started hooking up with Cole Beasley. For some reason we are not using cook in that capacity, which I thought we were going to do much more of.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

I will say that the first INT was on Josh, even though John Brown messed up the route. Sometimes you just have to live to fight another down. Throw the ball away and keep it moving. In a sense, he tried to force it like he is prone to do at times. Howard made a play and it lit a fire under the Dolphins behinds.  

Yea that was on both of them. He didn't even need to throw it away... he had an easy 4 or 5 yards to Morris (it was 1st down) or a slightly harder throw but one that was there over the linebacker and infront of the safety for Knox on an outbreaker. They didn't need to take a shot. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

That interception was completely on Josh. He just threw it up for grabs. That play wasn't supposed to go to Brown. He started scrambling then saw man to man on Brown (who had already stopped running the route) and threw up a prayer and the most shocked person on the field was Brown who then turned around and started running with no idea where the ball was in the air. The Dolphins db caught it like a punt returner. It was bad. Throw the ball out of bounds and live to play another down. Josh refuses to do that. Every play has to be a big play. Sometimes the best play is an incomplete pass or a check down for 5 yards

I don't think he did stop running his route until the ball was I'm the air. If he did that's on Brown, you never quit running while the QB still has the ball, especially one with a big arm. The defense was daring him to throw deep and clogging up the middle and short parts of the field per people at the game. Just got to connect on more of those throws.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You know who else had worse turnover playoff #s AND still won the game?

Joe Burrow... 2021 Playoffs.

This was 1st time in 13 playoff games that Bills had this turnover ratio that they won. 

because we are blessed to have Josh Allen as QB. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I don't think he did stop running his route until the ball was I'm the air. If he did that's on Brown, you never quit running while the QB still has the ball, especially one with a big arm. The defense was daring him to throw deep and clogging up the middle and short parts of the field per people at the game. Just got to connect on more of those throws.

On some plays the guy running long is not even part of the play, he's just running off his man deep so the underneath throw is open. That's what it looked like to me. John Brown was not expecting that ball, had already stopped running, and when the ball was thrown up he just started running deep not knowing where it was and it was the easiest interception the dolphins had all year

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

On some plays the guy running long is not even part of the play, he's just running off his man deep so the underneath throw is open. That's what it looked like to me. John Brown was not expecting that ball, had already stopped running, and when the ball was thrown up he just started running deep not knowing where it was and it was the easiest interception the dolphins had all year

You have to be ready at all times if you're a WR. Whether you think you're part of the play or not. That's a crap excuse. On top of that he ran the wrong route and he was already deep when Josh threw it, then broke for the sideline. What's he running a 40 yard out? Pretty sure that's on Brown.

• Like (+1) 2

At the end of the day, Josh is a 26 year old kid with the weight of the world on his shoulders and they are just turning him loose and saying go win us this game. It's not fair to him. He needs to play in more structure than just do whatever you can to get a first down.

The Dolphins ran almost all man-to-man and brought a lot of cover zero blitzes. That's why Josh was just throwing it deep play after play. They weren't calling the right man beater plays. If someone is coming at me with man to man and blitzes I'm hitting quick slants and screen passes to the RB. We heard how James Cook is this amazing receiver and they don't even throw him the ball. If it's man to man then put him on a LB and let him smoke him. What LB is keeping up with someone who runs a 4.3? Same with Hines. They have the players so it's just bad play calling 

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You have to be ready at all times if you're a WR. Whether you think you're part of the play or not. That's a crap excuse. On top of that he ran the wrong route and he was already deep when Josh threw it, then broke for the sideline. What's he running a 40 yard out? Pretty sure that's on Brown.

Josh was scrambling. At that point you abandon the play and just try and get open. That's why they have to play in more structure. You can't have one guy scrambling around thinking he can chuck it deep when the other guy isn't even thinking he's going to throw it to him 

15 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

It wasn’t a scramble. Allen was still in the pocket, having taken one step forward after finishing the drop. The ball came out on time. It was a totally routine play and low risk 1 on 1 downfield until Brown broke off the route. Not finishing on an anticipation route makes the quarterback look bad but it was Brown’s fault. CBS and Romo broke it down from the high angle camera view. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.