Chargers @ Jaguars Playoff Game Thread (i.e. NOT a Bills thread;-)

Simon

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't remember the exact numbers but the Chargers ran something like 25 pass plays to 9 running plays after going up 27-0. To be fair the Bills lost the Vikings game for a similar reason. The whole NFL has gone way overboard with this super aggressive mindset. Coaches no longer trust themselves to play the game the right way, they worry that if they punt one time too many they'll be fired into the sun by the media. People have rightly given credit to Doug Pederson for going for 2 after the penalty, but near the end of the first half he also punted on a 4th and 2 from the Jacksonville 36 while down 27 points. Some coaches would have gone for it there but Pederson didn't panic. They pinned the Chargers deep, got the ball back, and scored on every single ensuing drive after that. I don't want my coach being aggressive OR conservative by nature. Just let the game come to you and make sensible decisions in the moment. That was the difference in this game.

Question: have the Chargers been able to run the ball, like at all, at any time this season?  They're like 15th in rushing attempts, and 28th in rushing yards - meaning they don't try to run the ball often, but when they do, it doesn't work.  And it's worse than that - the Chargers have run for less than 100 yds on 13 out of 17 games, and run for above league average in 2 games.

And yesterday was no exception.  They were getting stuffed for 2.9 ypc, but it was worse than that because they were losing yards on a lot of their attempts.

I'm not sure it's a "super aggressive mindset" so much as they simply can't run.

Compare and contrast to KC, which doesn't run very often (25th for attempts) but when they do, it works OK (20th for yards, tied for 8th (!!!!!) in YPA)

McDermott has beaten the drum that sooner or later, you have to be able to run the ball.  I think yesterday proved that he knows something.

Pederson is an interesting coach, no questions there.

10 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Really!?! Juju averaged: under 4 catches a game and 32 yards a game in his last year with Pitt. 6 catches and 52 yards a game and 3.5 catches and 46 yards a game the 2 years before. That would be: 544, 884 and 782 over a full season..... MVS is a deep threat with a career high of under 700 yards. Moore did very little as did Toney.... but they drafted those WRs because they realized their WRs weren't very good. 

JUJU is good.  Not elite but good.  He was being thrown the ball by scrub QBs.  You thinking all your receivers are scrub is laughable.  You have an elite TE and a bunch of good but not elite receivers.

I had a feeling that after a turnover halfway thru the 2nd Q and a 27-0 lead, and Charger players were dancing on the sideline like they just won the Super Bowl. I knew they were doomed going into the half, even with a 27-7 lead.

With 5 minutes left in the game and still holding a lead, the Dolts came out on first down wanting to throw instead of running the clock, of course Herbert got sacked and they ended up only taking a minute off the clock and didn't force Jax to use any timeouts.

Have their HC and OC been canned yet ?

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Forget about it and forget about gambling altogether; it's just a form of giving your money away.

It amounts to an entertainment expense; you spend money, you have fun, your short lived experience is gone forever and you are out the money.  Like a nice dinner out, a football game ticket, a 7 day trip to a foreign country, etc...

Like any vice it can get a hold of you if you let it. For me, I hate losing money so I'll never become a regular gambler. But I do like how it makes non-Bills games more interesting to me. It doesn't take a large wager, a few bucks will do the trick. I only bet football.

18 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont get it.  Im no gambler but what moron bets 1.4m just to win 11k?

You think something is a gimme.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

No doubt.  Coaching is the only reason I can’t blurt out “Miami has no chance today. We’re going to blow them out”.  Yes, we should blow them out, but great game plan (or a terrible game plan) can impact the result of a game as much, if not more, than the players on the field.  

Anyone who disagrees with this should just watch the 13 seconds of one specific game. 

• Angry 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.