Cole Beasley signed to the 53.

CorkScrewHill

The Bills give up some big play potential with McKenzie out of the game day lineup, but, overall, he's been a disappointment this season, and like some other Bills has had too many drops.  Beasley doesn't give you much big play potential, but historically he's shown reliable hands, and he's been a chain mover throughout his tenure on the Bills.  It's pretty obvious that he was elevated as a response to McKenzie's injury, and the fact that they play the same base position is a primary factor in the decision to sign him to the 53 man roster.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why wouldn't they sign Brown and call up Beasley?? 

Nobody has wanted Brown since he left Buffalo, why sign him?  Also, signing Beasley could be a bit of an olive branch for acting like he was wrong in his stance. Right or wrong the organization didn’t exactly back him, they had others who were doing the same but being quiet.    I’m just speculating, but it would seem like a bit of a “thanks for coming back” type of thing. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Nobody has wanted Brown since he left Buffalo, why sign him?  Also, signing Beasley could be a bit of an olive branch for acting like he was wrong in his stance. Right or wrong the organization didn’t exactly back him, they had others who were doing the same but being quiet.    I’m just speculating, but it would seem like a bit of a “thanks for coming back” type of thing. 

Maybe, but who says he was really wrong in his stance? He wasn’t quiet about it and many see that as wrong. Dude lives in a free country and expressed his rights. This move looks like a promotion and gives ability to bring up 2 others from ps. It is what it is at the end of the day. Reliability for 17 to move the chains. 

6 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The bet here is that McKenzie and Phillips don’t play this week, that Beasley takes McKenzie’s spot, and that John Brown and Brandin Bryant are PS elevations. 

Sound logical to me too!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Not sure it Matters who gets called up as salaries are paid during regular season only- I believe all players get the same playoff bonus based on how the team does

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

The Bills give up some big play potential with McKenzie out of the game day lineup, but, overall, he's been a disappointment this season, and like some other Bills has had too many drops.  Beasley doesn't give you much big play potential, but historically he's shown reliable hands, and he's been a chain mover throughout his tenure on the Bills.  It's pretty obvious that he was elevated as a response to McKenzie's injury, and the fact that they play the same base position is a primary factor in the decision to sign him to the 53 man roster.   

Um...what big plays has Mckenzie provided this season? I can't recall any. Big disappointment this year, especially the drops. Hoping Beasley can provide that consistent check down that Josh has hesitated to take at times this season. 

Beasley has played with a broken leg, broken ribs and who knows what else. At times he literally caught everything thrown his way. May not be a big yac guy but moved the chains. I’m not sure how much of a roll he will play but I am glad he’s back.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JMM said:

Um...what big plays has Mckenzie provided this season? I can't recall any. Big disappointment this year, especially the drops. Hoping Beasley can provide that consistent check down that Josh has hesitated to take at times this season. 

100% this.  He seems like a fun guy, but he is not reliable on the field.  He’s got talent, but skill is highly questionable.

4 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Beasley has played with a broken leg, broken ribs and who knows what else. At times he literally caught everything thrown his way. May not be a big yac guy but moved the chains. I’m not sure how much of a roll he will play but I am glad he’s back.

And for the first time in his career with the Bills at the end of the season Beasley is close to 100% physically. So even with the drop off in performance a fresh Beasley may actually contribute more to this playoff run then he did in previous playoff runs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Like this move. Josh needs a quick outlet in the slot. 

When Crowder gets back it should be interesting. 

Diggs

Davis

Mackenzie

Shakir

Crowder

Beasley

(John Brown)

impressive group. 

It’s really not.  It’s still Diggs and a group of guys. If Allen makes it work it’s more of a testimonial to his greatness than anything.  

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I wouldn’t say he’s a disappointment. If you’ve expected him to replace bease then yes, but your expectations were too high. He’s a 4th option gadget guy with speed. If he’s used like that he’ll be great. 

It’s really not.  It’s still Diggs and a group of guys. If Allen makes it work it’s more of a testimonial to his greatness than anything.  

True. It’s a shame Gabe didn’t take the next step and if Shakir was used more. Who knows?

31 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

I wouldn’t say he’s a disappointment. If you’ve expected him to replace bease then yes, but your expectations were too high. He’s a 4th option gadget guy with speed. If he’s used like that he’ll be great. 

True. It’s a shame Gabe didn’t take the next step and if Shakir was used more. Who knows?

The Bills went for hope as a strategy on the WR core this year, it didn’t work.  Gabe didn’t cut it, Beasley couldn’t be replaced with Glass and Gadget, but they were cheaper.  My fear is Buffalo wants to run the Carolina model of get an MVP QB, and that’s the O, spend 65% of the cap on D.

7 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Maybe just based off potential connections to other teams

John brown just really the giants

Beasley has Tampa/giants/cowboys

Beasley was available most of the year. To anyone.

And finally we didn't call him, he called us. Humbly. Demand isn't overwhelming for the guy. Might have been a few years ago, but not now.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills went for hope as a strategy on the WR core this year, it didn’t work.  Gabe didn’t cut it, Beasley couldn’t be replaced with Glass and Gadget, but they were cheaper.  My fear is Buffalo wants to run the Carolina model of get an MVP QB, and that’s the O, spend 65% of the cap on D.

I don’t think it was hope as a strategy I think they believed both would progress, especially Gabe. As far as the Carolina model I hope you’re wrong! 

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I’m just speculating, but it would seem like a bit of a “thanks for coming back” type of thing. 

I don't think we would do a "thanks for coming back" gesture in the playoffs, and I don't think this has anything to do with how he departed buffalo.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.