Cole Beasley signed to the 53.

CorkScrewHill

45 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The Bills went for hope as a strategy on the WR core this year, it didn’t work.  Gabe didn’t cut it, Beasley couldn’t be replaced with Glass and Gadget, but they were cheaper.  My fear is Buffalo wants to run the Carolina model of get an MVP QB, and that’s the O, spend 65% of the cap on D.

And using most of our top draft choices on Defense year after year on top of that.  If it happens again this tear I will be pissed with our major needs at WR and OL

3 hours ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Maybe, but who says he was really wrong in his stance? He wasn’t quiet about it and many see that as wrong. Dude lives in a free country and expressed his rights. This move looks like a promotion and gives ability to bring up 2 others from ps. It is what it is at the end of the day. Reliability for 17 to move the chains. 

The guy was consistently breaking team rules and rolling up lots of fines and being a distraction. 

He wasn't re-signed here till he called us himself and said his mea culpas and that he wouldn't pull that kind of crap this time around. The Bills said the way he handled things was wrong, they didn't say that with words, they said it by not bringing him back till he called us and showed he had a new attitude. Looked like a new man at his PC this year. That's why he was back.

Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion in a free country. But also nothing wrong with saying "See ya later, have fun expressing yourself elsewhere," when a guy is determined to be that way.

2 hours ago, JMM said:

Um...what big plays has Mckenzie provided this season? I can't recall any. Big disappointment this year, especially the drops. Hoping Beasley can provide that consistent check down that Josh has hesitated to take at times this season. 

He has 4 TDs.

If you can't recall any big plays, that's your memory.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Beasley was available most of the year. To anyone.

And finally we didn't call him, he called us. Humbly. Demand isn't overwhelming for the guy. Might have been a few years ago, but not now.

His resume was bolstered by the Bills getting him. Other playoffs teams may me thinking "if the Bills think he is good enough to play for them, he is sure to be good enough for us"

Points to Dorsey's game plan for the playoffs. I bet Brown will be active too. With Cook coming in lately, this is going to be a diverse offense tough to defend. The OL just needs to hold up long enough for Allen. I don't expect him to have a lot of time in the pocket against the Dolphins and (thinking ahead), the Bengals

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

I’m confused why they signed him to the 53 with unlimited call ups? Seems Brown was more deserving of its for contractual reasons.

There’s unlimited call ups for an individual player. But I believe there’s a limit of 2 players called up per game for the playoffs.  

Let’s say Brandon Bryant gets called up this week with Settle & Phillips banged up.  If you had to use a call up for Beasley too, then you’re stuck if you need another player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

My man has 6 catches for 35 yards in 5 games after showing serious decline last year. I would rather have the upside player than the guy who doesn’t threaten the defense in the slightest. Agree to disagree

Didn't Bease play with a broken leg at the end of lat season?

12 hours ago, Flipnmi said:

This move is really puzzling to me. As others have said, Beasley could have been called up for any or all of the playoff games without any roster moves being required, so the McKenzie injury can't be the primary reason for the move.  Beas also stated when he resigned that this was where he really wanted to be and as such he could refuse any offer to go to another team's 53 to stay here.  He would get a pay bump to the vet minimum for the games where he was called up, so the only plausible scenario I can see is that another team tried to sign him to something above the vet min and the Bills decided to do him a solid and match the other offer.  That said, the idea of going to a new team and new system just before a playoff run also seems pretty remote, unless that team happened to be the Giants and the Daboll offense. This move also complicates what might be done to open a slot on the 53 for Crowder if and when he's ready to go, since Murray seemed to be the most obvious cut available. We'll likely never know, but there must be more to this move than we can see.

It's really simple.  With only two practice squad call ups allowed the Bills wanted to make sure they could have Beasley and Brown available while still being able to call up somebody from another position in case of an emergency (looks like it may be at DT this week).  Also, if necessary, Brown can stay on the practice squad in case of two emergencies at different positions.  They value Beasley over Brown at this point.  It has nothing to do with pay or someone else poaching him off another team.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The guy was consistently breaking team rules and rolling up lots of fines and being a distraction. 

He wasn't re-signed here till he called us himself and said his mea culpas and that he wouldn't pull that kind of crap this time around. The Bills said the way he handled things was wrong, they didn't say that with words, they said it by not bringing him back till he called us and showed he had a new attitude. Looked like a new man at his PC this year. That's why he was back.

Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion in a free country. But also nothing wrong with saying "See ya later, have fun expressing yourself elsewhere," when a guy is determined to be that way.

He has 4 TDs.

If you can't recall any big plays, that's your memory.

Pretty sure he asked for a trade, then released. Was NFL levying those fines, I’m sure the Bills org. didn’t like the way he was using social media and expressing his pov, as evidenced by not pursuing him. Seems a lot about nothing now. 
Either way, he’s back, all send forgiven and if he helps bring home that SB trophy many will eat crow. 

21 hours ago, Flipnmi said:

This move is really puzzling to me. As others have said, Beasley could have been called up for any or all of the playoff games without any roster moves being required, so the McKenzie injury can't be the primary reason for the move.  Beas also stated when he resigned that this was where he really wanted to be and as such he could refuse any offer to go to another team's 53 to stay here.  He would get a pay bump to the vet minimum for the games where he was called up, so the only plausible scenario I can see is that another team tried to sign him to something above the vet min and the Bills decided to do him a solid and match the other offer.  That said, the idea of going to a new team and new system just before a playoff run also seems pretty remote, unless that team happened to be the Giants and the Daboll offense. This move also complicates what might be done to open a slot on the 53 for Crowder if and when he's ready to go, since Murray seemed to be the most obvious cut available. We'll likely never know, but there must be more to this move than we can see.

Some misconceptions that need to be addressed: 

Beasley played in the playoffs 2 years ago with a broken leg.

Last year Beasley battled injuries and even though his catches for the season were the same as the previous year (82) his yards per catch were way down. My speculation on the reduced yards is that in order to protect himself from further injury he didn't try to gain extra yardage after reaching "the line to gain". His efforts were focused on doing what was right for the team. 

Beasley, as a slot receiver needed to be in complete sync with Allen. Although Cole occasionally would be targeted with deeper passes they most likely  were to exploit an obvious weakness in the defense or just intended to loosen up that defense. Anyway, the point here is that Beasley was used as the primary target to pick up that 3rd and seven. Contrary to what some people believe here #11 was rarely an outlet but the primary option when the Bills needed that short to medium reception to keep the chains moving. Those 7 yard passes require perfect timing between the QB and slot receiver.

Not to get too deep as to what happened earlier this year in Tampa but Cole was only on their Practice Squad and got called up twice to play in games. I can only imagine that he and Brady got very little time to work on timing in practice. Tom embarrassed Beasley during a game by shouting at him and making gestures as if Beasley screwed up on a missed pass read.

I doubt that at this time of the season that Cole would have accepted being signed by any team other than the Bills. He is well aware of the sheer volume of work and practice that a QB and his slot receiver need to get on the same page. 

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Beasley was available most of the year. To anyone.

And finally we didn't call him, he called us. Humbly. Demand isn't

overwhelming for the guy. Might have been a few years ago, but not now.

No, no he wasn't. To be "available" to anyone you as a player must be willing to go there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.