Madden in 1993: “You get concussed you shouldn’t play.”

Big Blitz

Good find so many guys are having horrible suffering lives due to all the head trauma. It's awful. I love the game I love watching it. But these people not players but people need to be protected. Do they have a right to make a living? Absolutely but the guidelines around head injuries are still to soft imo no game not even a Superbowl is worth a lifetime of pain, depression and suffering.

17 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Good find so many guys are having horrible suffering lives due to all the head trauma. It's awful. I love the game I love watching it. But these people not players but people need to be protected. Do they have a right to make a living? Absolutely but the guidelines around head injuries are still to soft imo no game not even a Superbowl is worth a lifetime of pain, depression and suffering.

For many, the opportunity to be the one to bring generational wealth to your family is worth that risk.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

For those that think everyone (maybe not John) from that era was a bunch of dinosaurs where “just tough it out” was the rule - found this 

And Go Giants this week btw.   

Why go Giants? What a strange thing to say.

Any NFC game against the NFC East should be go other team. Especially Giants.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, StHustle said:

For many, the opportunity to be the one to bring generational wealth to your family is worth that risk.

I have NEVER seen a single former NFL player say they regret their career given what we now know about CTE.

They ALL say "no regrets" and most usually say "I'd do it again."

So there you go.

56 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

I hope the current generations and recent generations of players have better health outcomes than the players who played in the 2000’s and before. Really hope that concussion protocols and the safety rules and equipment make the players less hurt as the years go by.

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

We may not have known about CTE until the last few years but let's be honest - it's always been obvious that head injuries aren't good for your health.  This is something we know intuitively on survival instinct.  

My dad played college football in the 70s said he was concussed numerous times.  He was also hit in the head with line drives as a high school baseball coach twice.  Both times internal bleeding on his brain and hospitalized.   He’s now 69 years old and sharp as a tack.  You just never know with these things i think that’s also very scary too.  Everyone is different I’m sure.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

That clip is especially sad to watch if you know what McMahon’s quality of life is now.  The man looked completely lost on the bench and yet even the trainer was like “rub some dirt on it, we got a game to play.”  (I don’t know what he said, of course, just going off body language and experience.)

Things have come so far.  Still got a ways to go, but I hope the events of this season force further change for the better. 

Edited by BRH

18 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Especially junior seau 

He had a mental illness that may or may not have been in conjunction with his injuries playing.

Further, they've done studies in people post mortem to discover non athletes have CTE. Roughly 6% per this study, though other articles claim slightly lower or higher 6% is generally the average. Athletes were as high as 9% across the board with a few studies amassing 60-65% of football players having some level of cte. 

I don't Google this stuff. I seek peer reviewed articles on Google scholar. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190620153548.htm

11 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

We may not have known about CTE until the last few years but let's be honest - it's always been obvious that head injuries aren't good for your health.  This is something we know intuitively on survival instinct.  

Exactly. Anyone with common sense knows a man shouldn't weigh 300 lbs. (or really over 200#). Run full speed into other men and play these violent games as sport if they want to maintain top health. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

He had a mental illness that may or may not have been in conjunction with his injuries playing.

Further, they've done studies in people post mortem to discover non athletes have CTE. Roughly 6% per this study, though other articles claim slightly lower or higher 6% is generally the average. Athletes were as high as 9% across the board with a few studies amassing 60-65% of football players having some level of cte. 

I don't Google this stuff. I seek peer reviewed articles on Google scholar. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190620153548.htm

Rick Martin of the Sabres, when he passed away at 59... They had his brain studied. First non-enforcer in hockey to test positive for CTE.

Can only test when dead.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Rick Martin of the Sabres, when he passed away at 59... They had his brain studied. First non-enforcer in hockey to test positive for CTE.

Can only test when dead.

About half of this forum is eligible.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

For those that think everyone (maybe not John) from that era was a bunch of dinosaurs where “just tough it out” was the rule - found this 

And Go Giants this week btw.   

Wow, great clip!

37 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Can only test when dead.

Hockey was so much worse than the NFL. I remember watching this as a kid thinking it was awesome. Now there is no way this happens. Gets completely knocked out and then comes back in the same game.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.