We're onto Miami(Miami's headed to Buffalo)...opening line BUF -10! Game at 1:05 PM SUN 1/15

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

i dont remember this at all! can i get a refresher? he stear him away from us?

Yup.  Basically he was eyeing Cincy or Buffalo when he was reinstated by the league and was convinced it wasn't the best idea because they basically didn't want him to be the focus of the team (since he likely would have been the starter).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/810721-why-did-roger-goodell-and-nfl-steer-michael-vick-away-from-the-buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He is still in stage one so correct.  Tua has zero practice.

That any of us know of!

McDaniel probably has a secret practice room in his basement for Tua.  He calls it his ‘back therapy’ room.  

I kid… or do I?

4 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Mostert heading for surgery... not looking likely he suits up

That’s a big loss for the Dolphins if so. Mostert shredded us!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

He was fairly anonymous on Sunday, and I think Shakir had more targets. Hard to read too much into that. But it wouldn't surprise me if Shakir rose to the top of the depth chart

McKenzie: 2 receptions on 3 targets. 56% of the snaps (33 snaps)

Shakir: 1 reception on 2 targets 25% of the snaps (15 snaps)

McKenzie has kind of been a bit of a Patriot killer or at least a Patriot kneecap biter - 5 receptions on 5 targets, 44 yds in earlier meeting this season, 11 receptions on 12 targets for 125 yds in 2nd meeting last season, 3 receptions on 3 targets and 3 rushes for 74 yds/scrimmage last season's playoff game.  So I would think Belicheck would have tried to limit him.

I would LOVE to see Shakir flourish and prove that Beane's WR talent pipeline for this team is alive and well, but what exactly have you seen that leads you to be "unsurprised" if Shakir rises to "the top of the depth chart"? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie: 2 receptions on 3 targets. 56% of the snaps (33 snaps)

Shakir: 1 reception on 2 targets 25% of the snaps (15 snaps)

McKenzie has kind of been a bit of a Patriot killer or at least a Patriot kneecap biter - 5 receptions on 5 targets, 44 yds in earlier meeting this season, 11 receptions on 12 targets for 125 yds in 2nd meeting last season, 3 receptions on 3 targets and 3 rushes for 74 yds/scrimmage last season's playoff game.  So I would think Belicheck would have tried to limit him.

I would LOVE to see Shakir flourish and prove that Beane's WR talent pipeline for this team is alive and well, but what exactly have you seen that leads you to be "unsurprised" if Shakir rises to "the top of the depth chart"? 

I thought his one play was a great one, and his other target felt like a near big play as well. 

Also it looked like Isiah was struggling out there.

But you’re right. I shouldn’t have read so much into it, and my take isn’t logical 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

That any of us know of!

McDaniel probably has a secret practice room in his basement for Tua.  He calls it his ‘back therapy’ room.  

I kid… or do I?

That’s a big loss for the Dolphins if so. Mostert shredded us!

Jeff Wilson will shred us instead.

Will be interesting to see how Hill and Waddle are doing when the injury report comes out on Wednesday - both had issues and had to leave the field on Sunday. Hill returned; not sure about Waddle.

Hope the surgery goes well for Mostert.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Will be interesting to see how Hill and Waddle are doing when the injury report comes out on Wednesday - both had issues and had to leave the field on Sunday. Hill returned; not sure about Waddle.

Mostert was ripping us for 8 y/c just a few short weeks ago.  Hopefully the Bills can keep their RB's in check this time.

20 minutes ago, appoo said:

I thought his one play was a great one, and his other target felt like a near big play as well. 

Also it looked like Isiah was struggling out there.

But you’re right. I shouldn’t have read so much into it, and my take isn’t logical 

I'm assuming McDermott is leaving mckenzie in because he's "earned it", but this kinda stuff has to stop for the playoffs. I mean, MAYBE mckenzie is better, but it's not like mckenzie is putting up ridiculous numbers every week. They need Shakir to play more. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm assuming McDermott is leaving mckenzie in because he's "earned it", but this kinda stuff has to stop for the playoffs. I mean, MAYBE mckenzie is better, but it's not like mckenzie is putting up ridiculous numbers every week. They need Shakir to play more. 

The ball he had bounce off of him was embarrassing.  Give me Beasley in the slot please.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He is still in stage one so correct.  Tua has zero practice.

Stage 1??  I heard he is in Stage 3?   

https://news.yahoo.com/tua-tagovailoa-not-cleared-to-practice-raheem-mostert-has-broken-thumb-ahead-of-dolphins-bills-playoff-game-215328414.html

"Tua remained in Stage 3 on Sunday"

Stage 4 - I believe - is when you can start practicing.  If he is indeed already in Stage 3,  I expect he is practicing as soon as tomorrow.  

That said,  after the Damar Hamlin incident,  all the concussion stuff with Tua this year is probably the next "scariest" story line,  so I would just hope he doesn't play..... regardless of whether he is cleared.

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

There are plenty of reasons why shakir doesn’t get snaps. He has gotten blown up on many run or screen plays that resulted in a TFL. McKenzie despite being small is at least able to get in the way as a blocker. I would also say McDermott trust McKenzie more and youre confusing that with “earned it”

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, appoo said:

It was a really good catch.  He came back to the QB and all.  Nicely done, and a nice YAC too.

"Near big play" we don't count those for Davis or the other guys

38 minutes ago, appoo said:

I mean, we're all waiting for that, right?  Every since Crowder and McKenzie both went out vs. the Ravens, and Shakir had 2 really nice catches for 23 yds, and then couldn't play the following week vs. the Steelers and Shakir had 3 catches on 5 targets for 75 yds AND a nice KR.  We were all like "OK, Here We Go, Shakir!"

For whatever reason, it hasn't been working out.  He sees his snaps - has been averaging about 18 per game - occasionally I see him open, or see him blocking, and he gets an average of 1 target per game.  But I also see him signalling "open" when he's clearly not and sometimes whiffing blocks and stuff (see more good blocks as the season goes on). 

16 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honest questions: what does "earned it" in quotes mean, and what does "this kind of stuff" mean?

Edited by Beck Water

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It was a really good catch.  He came back to the QB and all.  Nicely done, and a nice YAC too.

"Near big play" we don't count those for Davis or the other guys

I mean, we're all waiting for that, right?  Every since Crowder and McKenzie both went out vs. the Ravens, and Shakir had 2 really nice catches for 23 yds, and then couldn't play the following week vs. the Steelers and Shakir had 3 catches on 5 targets for 75 yds AND a nice KR.  We were all like "OK, Here We Go, Shakir!"

For whatever reason, it hasn't been working out.  He sees his snaps - has been averaging about 18 per game - occasionally I see him open, or see him blocking, and he gets an average of 1 target per game.  But I also see him signalling "open" when he's clearly not and sometimes whiffing blocks and stuff (see more good blocks as the season goes on).  I think he's still got a learning curve as an NFL WR.

Honest question: Why would you assume this?

McDermott has said, over and over again, that playing time is "earned" in terms of performance on the practice field and in games. 

Do you think he's lying like a rug?

Assumed because of the amount of snaps mckenzie gets vs amount of production. If mckenzie was getting 4 or 5 catches a game, or even used as a 3rd down weapon, I'd have no issue letting him get the majority of snaps. Seeing his production though, I'd at the very least give Shakir more snaps and more opportunities. At this point, I'm think beasley might be out best option, but who knows 

13 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Stage 1??  I heard he is in Stage 3?   

https://news.yahoo.com/tua-tagovailoa-not-cleared-to-practice-raheem-mostert-has-broken-thumb-ahead-of-dolphins-bills-playoff-game-215328414.html

"Tua remained in Stage 3 on Sunday"

Stage 4 - I believe - is when you can start practicing.  If he is indeed already in Stage 3,  I expect he is practicing as soon as tomorrow.  

That said,  after the Damar Hamlin incident,  all the concussion stuff with Tua this year is probably the next "scariest" story line,  so I would just hope he doesn't play..... regardless of whether he is cleared.

So TBH - I find the distinction between Stage 3 and Stage 4 to be a little "Fuzzy"

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1629471746/league/umfva5wnr32ozmukz5jd.pdf

Stage 3 says the player can practice with the team for 30 minutes of "sport specific exercise"

Stage 4 says the player participates in "non contact football activities" (throwing catching and running).

Difference?

Anyway, if Tua is in Stage 3, he can practice on Weds with a red no-contact jersey, and assuming no adverse effects, be cleared on Thursday.

42 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Hill was talking ***** after the game. Saying our db’s better get their hamstrings ready. 

16 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Assumed because of the amount of snaps mckenzie gets vs amount of production. If mckenzie was getting 4 or 5 catches a game, or even used as a 3rd down weapon, I'd have no issue letting him get the majority of snaps. Seeing his production though, I'd at the very least give Shakir more snaps and more opportunities. At this point, I'm think beasley might be out best option, but who knows 

So right now, Shakir gets about 18 snaps and 1 target per game - 1 target per 18 offensive plays on the field

McKenzie gets about 37 snaps per game, and gets just over 4 targets per game - or around twice the targets Shakir gets. 

That would beg the question "why?" to me? 

You could get into conspiracy stuff where the coaches are just stupid and unfairly keeping Shakir off the field while giving McKenzie snaps he hasn't earned in practice or play because he's "earned it" through longevity, or you could assume that the coaches are distributing playing time according to what they see in practice and in games and McKenzie has earned it there. 

McKenzie has been averaging ~3 receptions and 30 ypg which ain't good.  Shakir around 11.5 ypg and 0.7 receptions per game, which even if you double it, is lower production than McKenzie per target, so....would he do more, if he got more snaps and more targets?  IDK.

I do know I'd like to see Shakir come on, because Lord knows we need more out of our WRs than we've had at times, and I'd like to feel like our WR development pipeline has some "flow" to it.

8 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Hill was talking ***** after the game. Saying our db’s better get their hamstrings ready. 

Because it's cold, he said 🙄

I mean, he has 20 receptions for 102 yds against Buffalo this season....which sounds scary except that was over 2 games.   He's gonna get some catches and some yards,but we did kind of limit him.

Now maybe being down to our 3rd string safety and Tre White (IMO) playing scared will cause problems, IDK.

I guess I could type less and just say "IDK"

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.