Revisiting the Tre White to Safety thread

HOUSE

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL at Tre running a 4.75 - 40 because he was beat by Waddle and Chase who are lightning fast.

I ran a 4.9 - 40 when I was timed at the gym over the summer.  I’m 41 and had back surgery a year ago and certainly do not speed train.  Tre White isn’t just a little faster than me, I promise you that.

C’mon man… that hand timed 4.9 was really a 5.4 right?

43 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Absolutely hear ya. Never saw him as a freak inception ball hawk though.. if I remember he missed bringing in balls that other dudes make. Would he have been a great, or as great, a safety as he was a corner back in 2021 — sure. Now though? I’m afraid he’s bad as both. And there isn’t time for patience now. The Bengals were not looking too afraid of Tre on Monday. They were eating him for five whole minutes. Chiefs and Bengals. Mahomes and Burrow.. that’s gonna be a problem right now.

to be fair- burrow to chase might be the best pairing in the league. Mahomes doesn’t have tyreek anymore. 

tre can still be a contributor even if not an all pro 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

First thread?

Ethan in Portland said how about move Tre to Safety and got lambasted (almost universally) about how stupid an idea it was.

Now, Tre is out there running a 4.75 and it doesn’t look so bad. 

I was ahead of my time.  As others have pointed out Tre's weakness is tackling and that may be ultimately what keeps him at CB.  One reason I suggested the move was Johnson was playing terribly at safety.  The other reason I suggested it was at the time Jackson, Elam, and Benford were holding their own at CB.  Since then Elam is in the doghouse for unknown reasons, Benford is hurt, and well Jackson has been up and down.  

I don't know what to do now.  There are no great options.  I'd probably rest Poyer this Sunday and take my chances with Marlowe, Johnson, and some PS guy at safety for the Patriots game.  Then hope Poyer is rested, partially healed up, and go with Poyer/Marlowe in the playoffs.  

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Less contact, twisting and turning

He might actually have more confidence there...

Especially with how good Dane, Benford and Elam have performed and how much better they could get, I wouldn't be opposed. 

That'd mean we def lose Poyer though , with Hyde under contract next year 

31 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

C’mon man… that hand timed 4.9 was really a 5.4 right?

A hand time isn't .5 slower.  

I used to be pretty fast when I was younger.  I was a leadoff hitter in college.

I still keep in good shape now and leaner than I was then.  I eat a lot of fiber now and you should too.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I used to be pretty fast when I was younger.  I was a leadoff hitter in college.

I still keep in good shape now and leaner than I was then.  I eat a lot of fiber now and you should too.

I thought fiber help with the runs, not running??!???

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tell him about the one time you gotta hit off Jonathan Papelbon

51 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

to be fair- burrow to chase might be the best pairing in the league. Mahomes doesn’t have tyreek anymore. 

tre can still be a contributor even if not an all pro 

Got no argument from me there. The Bengals SCARE me if Burrow is just gonna stand back there like it’s LSU vs whoever that year. I’ll go back and look (no I won’t), but I believe the ball Higgins caught was on Tre, and then Higgins runs like a deer, and that’s when I’m like… they’re just picking on #27. I could be wrong though on that. Not really motivated to go back and review the play. If Chase can do whatever he wants, and Higgins is a definite size and speed mismatch, well something’s gotta be done about that by the smart football coaches at OBD.

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Absolutely hear ya. Never saw him as a freak inception ball hawk though.. if I remember he missed bringing in balls that other dudes make. Would he have been a great, or as great, a safety as he was a corner back in 2021 — sure. Now though? I’m afraid he’s bad as both. And there isn’t time for patience now. The Bengals were not looking too afraid of Tre on Monday. They were eating him for five whole minutes. Chiefs and Bengals. Mahomes and Burrow.. that’s gonna be a problem right now.

We've seen him make great plays already too. I'm just fine with him there vs the alternatives.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d put Taron at Safety.  

Benford in the slot - run support here is more important then coverage - because teams are running against Nickel packages more.  

Taron is smart and physical enough.  

Elam Jackson and Tre at CB. 

This should have been done a month ago especially since Taron hasn’t been that good this year in the slot.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I really only see two scenarios that would give me confidence: (1) Hyde comes back, which would give better support behind the corners, and (2) we run with a dime package as @Straight Hucklebuckhas mentioned. 

I hope and believe the former will happen (less sure than I was prior the Hamlin incident), and I don't expect our coaches to do the latter. 

Edit: maybe Benford could play safety, which although totally untried and unlikely, is alluring to me in the "please not Johnson or Lewis" sort of sense. Hopefully Marlowe will play this weekend and make us feel better. But the last few weeks don't make me think that is likely, either. 

Marlowe is like Bates. You think it won't work until you actually give him a chance. There is no way I want Cam or Juquan in there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.