Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, noncardiogenic pulmonary edema can worsen existing cardiogenic pulmonary edema...

Also, proning a patient with cardiac dysfunction for the reasons that you listed have nothing to do with ARDS.  They would (rarely) be proned to improve cardiac function, as you quote points out..not pulmonary (as would be done with severe ARDS).

There's no reason to believe severe, ARDS inducing chest trauma from CPR happened in this case.  The report of "damaged lungs" came from the same uncle that said he had CPR twice.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2769872

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300957222001551

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30654012/

Edited by redtail hawk

53 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

ARDS happens in a clinical setting (trauma, sepsis, near drowning, massive transfusions, etc).  The criteria cited for "ARDS" in the pubmed study are simply for pulmonary edema and they were in non-trauma patients. 

Cardiogenic pulmonary edema is going to have the same blood gasses and xray findings they used for their ARDS criteria. 

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

what temperature is the body cooled to?

See the typical hypothermia protocol below. I'm a neurologist and have been involved in numerous evaluations in the past. When a patient is in the protocol, the body cooled and fully sedated, there is not much that can be assessed neurologically.  The important neurological assessment comes early after the patient is warmed and the sedation is held. Usually serial neurological exams are performed over several days, looking for improved neurological function. It's not surprising that there have been no updates.

Johns Hopkins hypothermia protocol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

43 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If I was a betting man I would bet a #3 patch will be on every jersey or sticker on every helmet in the league this week. That and probably a moment of prayer for Damar 

Why stop there.  Wear the patch until he wakes up or the season ends. 

Here's to wishing he wakes up.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

ARDS happens in a clinical setting (trauma, sepsis, near drowning, massive transfusions, etc).  The criteria cited for "ARDS" in the pubmed study are simply for pulmonary edema and they were in non-trauma patients. 

Cardiogenic pulmonary edema is going to have the same blood gasses and xray findings they used for their ARDS criteria. 

SMH...you're wrong.  traumatic out of hospital cardiac arrest would be expected to be worse than non traumatic but regardless, ARDS occurs in a large proportion of post cardiac arrest patients.  Conclusion: "Nearly half of initial OHCA survivors develop ARDS within 48 h of hospital admission. ARDS was associated with poor outcome and increased resource utilization. OHCA should be considered among the traditional ARDS risk factors."  The inpatient study shows similar results.  Those patients would almost certainly have received CPR (ie trauma).  Being hit in the chest by an NFL player constitutes trauma as well.

You seem to be saying that you can better define ARDS than the authors and journal editors!   They likely had pulmonary artery pressures and LVEF measures from echos in many of these patients.   I guess you missed this sentence in the pubmed article "excluding patients with evidence of cardiac dysfunction." The paper would not have been published and would have been torn apart if they were likely to misdiagnose ARDS.  And the question remains:  Why was Hamlin placed in a prone position if he was felt to have cardiogenic pulmonary edema?  He wouldn't.  I could cite many more papers but there's no point.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Sean McDermott is someone we can all be proud to call our coach.

Not just McD honestly. I am so darn proud of our boys. So close knit, from McD saying he needs to be with Damar to Diggs talking his way past officers at the hospital. Closest group of men i’ve seen in a long time. I love this team and everyone who’s a part of it

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Why stop there.  Wear the patch until he wakes up or the season ends. 

Here's to wishing he wakes up.

I agree and was thinking the same thing. Just forgot to add it at the

end of my post. Unless he wakes up and is perfectly healthy, I say till the Super Bowl has been played.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.